New Big East

Taj79

I was just over on the old C7/New Big East board and came across an ongoing thread on us and Dayton as next ones in.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=633968&page=20

Can anyone shed light on this gem of a post .....

LouPower: "Latest news from St. Louis radio is that SLU is expecting 3 more years in the A-10. Well, nice knowing y'all."

Followed by this one from same source: " The "gentleman" who reported that is a Mizzou honk.

The discussion was about the A-10, and the host said that "anybody who's getting out of that league probably already has. SLU is talking about non-conference opponents for the next 3 years with the thought in mind that they will continue to be A-10 members"."

They are talking about July 1 being the new commish announcement and all but this stuff, dated only yesterday, is disconcerting to say the least. Anybody got any input to this? St. Louis radio? Mizzou honk? And a later post that says this honk "is not wrong often."

Clarificatiosn folks?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taj Mahal '79, you would think that if a St. Louis sports jock aired this comment it would have resulted in a 700+ page post and caused Steve' s server to suffer a meltdown. I looked at that board and it' s the same old same old; UD, SLU, VCU, and newcomer WSU. Heck, if I was a Richmond fan I'd be glad we weren't mentioned.

Right now, I'd just like to know if any thing's planned for July, or if they'll wait until the spring.

I don't give a rat's butt about server meltdowns, the general quality of sports talk radio in St. Louis (it's all shock-jock crap all the way to PTI, the Horn, and Highly Questionable anyway) or other mundane topics like "think we'll run more this year" or "who's coaching our bigs?" But --- it would seem to me to be more germane to our future if someone in the local area is talking this kind of smack and where the facts lie. Especially since kshoe continues to advocate that we ARE in the New Big East in a different thread (not dissing you kshoe just restating your post/statement).

To reiterate, a source told me in Brooklyn that we'd be announced in by June 30 of this year. Had to do with getting schedules lined up for 2014-2015. That does not seem to be the case now what with 11 days left to June 30 and no commish inplace for the NBE. With that in mind, Ash Yacoubou DOES play in the A10 in his first year at SLU.

I don't give a rat's butt about server meltdowns, the general quality of sports talk radio in St. Louis (it's all shock-jock crap all the way to PTI, the Horn, and Highly Questionable anyway) or other mundane topics like "think we'll run more this year" or "who's coaching our bigs?" But --- it would seem to me to be more germane to our future if someone in the local area is talking this kind of smack and where the facts lie. Especially since kshoe continues to advocate that we ARE in the New Big East in a different thread (not dissing you kshoe just restating your post/statement).

To reiterate, a source told me in Brooklyn that we'd be announced in by June 30 of this year. Had to do with getting schedules lined up for 2014-2015. That does not seem to be the case now what with 11 days left to June 30 and no commish inplace for the NBE. With that in mind, Ash Yacoubou DOES play in the A10 in his first year at SLU.

Why does SLU not being announced by June 30 necessarily mean we can't be added by the start of next season? June 30 is a deadline to save 1 million but missing that deadline hardly means we can't get in before next season, especially when we are as close to on record as possible as saying we'll pay whatever buyout costs it takes.

As for the rumor allegedly started by some mizzou media hack in St. Louis; nobody here has heard about it or heard anybody say that so stop worrying about it.

Why does SLU not being announced by June 30 necessarily mean we can't be added by the start of next season? June 30 is a deadline to save 1 million but missing that deadline hardly means we can't get in before next season, especially when we are as close to on record as possible as saying we'll pay whatever buyout costs it takes.

As for the rumor allegedly started by some mizzou media hack in St. Louis; nobody here has heard about it or heard anybody say that so stop worrying about it.

-your confidence of an announcement by June 30 seems to have slipped from a few months ago

-your confidence of an announcement by June 30 seems to have slipped from a few months ago

No doubt. But my confidence of still getting in hasn't wavered. Until I hear someone of importance say they are staying at 10 (just the opposite was recently stated by one of the ADs) I believe we are the most natural fit for spot 11 or 12. It's only a matter of time.

kshoe has unwavering confidence. Okay, good enough for me. Still .. radio St. Louis talks about us and we ain't on it? We've gone into manic meltdowns on less than this before. I'm done.

kshoe has unwavering confidence. Okay, good enough for me. Still .. radio St. Louis talks about us and we ain't on it? We've gone into manic meltdowns on less than this before. I'm done.

"radio St. Louis???"

Any industry which put Kevin Slaton and Lizz Brown on the air is not to be taken seriously......

I was just over on the old C7/New Big East board and came across an ongoing thread on us and Dayton as next ones in.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=633968&page=20

Can anyone shed light on this gem of a post .....

LouPower: "Latest news from St. Louis radio is that SLU is expecting 3 more years in the A-10. Well, nice knowing y'all."

Followed by this one from same source: " The "gentleman" who reported that is a Mizzou honk.

The discussion was about the A-10, and the host said that "anybody who's getting out of that league probably already has. SLU is talking about non-conference opponents for the next 3 years with the thought in mind that they will continue to be A-10 members"."

They are talking about July 1 being the new commish announcement and all but this stuff, dated only yesterday, is disconcerting to say the least. Anybody got any input to this? St. Louis radio? Mizzou honk? And a later post that says this honk "is not wrong often."

Clarificatiosn folks?

Who is Lou Power?

I took a number of days off without a worry and when I came back I tried to catch up with what was posted. Lots of postings.

We really and truly do not know what is going on in regards to SLU in the A10 vs Big East. I have been running a tally of obstacles in my mind that could delay or derail any kind of negotiations that might by or might have been going on in this regard:

1. Biondi resigned and his successor is not in control yet, which entails any changes he / she may have in mind for the athletic program after the trasnfer of power have yet to happen.

2. Similar situation with the Big East.

3. Any kind of biases that may be set in the minds of a large number of people that could influence the negotiations, biases we are not likely to be aware of.

4. The threats and opportunities perceived by the admininstration of the leagues involved, as well as the schools in Big East, resulting from having SLU joining Big East and leaving A10.

5. The opportunities SLU would be missing if A10 decides they need us to stay put and is willing to make a very sweet offer or series of offers to us.

This is not an exhaustive list, anyone can come up with more to add to this. The issue is this: SLU at this time does not have a firm boss who can commit ample resources to this end and neither does Big East. All of this will come to pass in whichever way it comes to pass given sufficient time. Let's be patient, no need to scare ourselves to death because someone who is unknown is said to have said something or the other over the radio.

I took a number of days off without a worry and when I came back I tried to catch up with what was posted. Lots of postings.

We really and truly do not know what is going on in regards to SLU in the A10 vs Big East. I have been running a tally of obstacles in my mind that could delay or derail any kind of negotiations that might by or might have been going on in this regard:

1. Biondi resigned and his successor is not in control yet, which entails any changes he / she may have in mind for the athletic program after the trasnfer of power have yet to happen.

2. Similar situation with the Big East.

3. Any kind of biases that may be set in the minds of a large number of people that could influence the negotiations, biases we are not likely to be aware of.

4. The threats and opportunities perceived by the admininstration of the leagues involved, as well as the schools in Big East, resulting from having SLU joining Big East and leaving A10.

5. The opportunities SLU would be missing if A10 decides they need us to stay put and is willing to make a very sweet offer or series of offers to us.

This is not an exhaustive list, anyone can come up with more to add to this. The issue is this: SLU at this time does not have a firm boss who can commit ample resources to this end and neither does Big East. All of this will come to pass in whichever way it comes to pass given sufficient time. Let's be patient, no need to scare ourselves to death because someone who is unknown is said to have said something or the other over the radio.

-as I understand it FrB is still prez until the new one is named and FrB is on the committee finding his replacement, so I can see how this could cause an issue with getting in the NBE but I certainly hope it isn't

-imo the time for schmoozing was months/years ago, see CU, now is the time for schmoozing on steroids

I would hope they're not waiting for the new prez to decide whether SLU says yes or no to entry into the New Beast. I don't like the term "no brainer", very few things in life are, but this one definitely falls under that category. The added TV revenues and national exposure alone are compelling reasons to say, "where do I sign?". Also, I think gaining entry would be the final feather in Fr. B's cap. Afterall, wasn't that a major reason for him building the Fetz?

And if the new Prez was to turn it down, God save Billiken nation. Heck, if we were smart we'd offer it to the CU prez.

There is absolutely nothing the A-10 can offer SLU when the Big East makes the invitation that would prevent the move.

I agree with the points SLU72 and Absurd_Bills_fan make, they are rational, logical, and devoid of equivocation. There is indeed a great deal of advantage for SLU to join Big East. My question to you is: how often have you seen logic and reason work as they should in the real world? Stuff happens all the time, when it happens it is often not logical or reasonable, but it is.

I agree with the points SLU72 and Absurd_Bills_fan make, they are rational, logical, and devoid of equivocation. There is indeed a great deal of advantage for SLU to join Big East. My question to you is: how often have you seen logic and reason work as they should in the real world? Stuff happens all the time, when it happens it is often not logical or reasonable, but it is.

I won't dispute your sentiments on logic. That said, if SLU were to hesitate, even for a nano second if offered that wouldn't be illogical it would be insane. Now, as for the Beast powers that be they might not be all that logical in who they prefer to invite, but I'm counting on Fox's $$'s dollars to do their thinking for them.

I won't dispute your sentiments on logic. That said, if SLU were to hesitate, even for a nano second if offered that wouldn't be illogical it would be insane. Now, as for the Beast powers that be they might not be all that logical in who they prefer to invite, but I'm counting on Fox's $$'s dollars to do their thinking for them.

I completely agree with what you say about hesitation from SLU after we are invited in being fatal to this process. However, the way you present this process presumes that SLU will be offered a participation in the Big East. What concerns me is the decision process prior to their formal offering us, or anyone else, a slot in the Big East, "the Beast" as you call it.

You may look at the process of getting to a firm offer to join the Big East in terms of probability. The more factors you add to the overall decision, the larger the number of players providing input into the decision, the larger the number of probabilities for different outcomes will be. You have already agreed there are many powers that be within "the Beast" that may or may not look upon SLU's participation with favor, or do so illogically. Then there is the Fox network.

I assure you that Fox, the network, is infinitely more complex in its internal makeup than the powers that be within "the Beast" are, and is looking at this Big East play in a lot more dimensions than the powers that be within "the Beast" are or we ourselves are. Yes, money talks and all that, and they have a considerable amount tied into this Big East play. However money is not the only factor that will determine what Fox's decision will be. Just to mention one fact, this whole Big East play is but a line of business to the Fox network, with a budget, profit estimates, developmental expenses, etc... Their decisions as to who they want invited in will most likely take into account a lot of internal network criteria that may not be known to us or openly admitted.

When you analyze this process as I have described, what you get is a very large number of possible individual decisions to be made at different levels, some at relatively low level, that may veer the whole process in unpredictable ways. We, SLU including fans and devotees of SLU, have no control over most of these individual preferences, biases, and decisions. This lack of control has nothing whatsoever to do with Biondi or May or any player inside the SLU arena, although they may indeed be able to present SLU in a very favorable light to them if given the opportunity to do so. As far as I am concerned, control of this invitation process is and will remain largely dependent upon the specific aims and biases of the active participants in the decision process. Fox's influence in this decision is likely to be very substantial. How well we get to understand what Fox and the other participants are after, what they really want to get from us out of this invitation to join them, may determine our success.

Please do not take this as a negative analysis. I am definitely not saying we will remain tied to A10, although I believe A10 may try to sweeten things for us in an attempt to keep us in. I firmly believe SLU has unique characteristics and assets that would make us very attractive to Fox and the Big East. But until a firm invitation is extended to SLU all we can do, as I believe we are doing, is to try our best to show them our advantages, and the assets we will bring to the league if we are invited in. I believe we have what it takes to be an asset to them, they just have to agree and invite us in. This has not happened yet. I hope it will happen in due time.