Will we run more this year?

ACE

Conventional wisdom is that we ran a little more this past year vs. the prior year. I really think we might run even a little more again this upcoming season. I think one of the reasons we ran more was the change from Conklin to Grandy. Obviously BC had a great senior season, but he was not one to get out and run very often. I think even more Grandy minutes could mean more fastbreak. He does a great job for a big getting out and running. KM said GG usually won the sprint races in practices. The other reason I think we could run more are the reports that McBroom is faster than KM. Mitchell could be very opportunistic on the break, but didn't really have the blazing speed of McCall. Looking at McBroom's Central Michigan highlights, there are a lot of clips of him leading the break. Plus Cody was not much for filling the lane on the break, although he was pretty adept at flaring out to the 3-point line and being ready on the secondary break. If Reggie is in the rotation, he may have more of tendency to get out and run. I don't think we'll ever be run and gun,but I think we have the personnel that could make us very effective on the break.

Conventional wisdom is that we ran a little more this past year vs. the prior year. I really think we might run even a little more again this upcoming season. I think one of the reasons we ran more was the change from Conklin to Grandy. Obviously BC had a great senior season, but he was not one to get out and run very often. I think even more Grandy minutes could mean more fastbreak. He does a great job for a big getting out and running. KM said GG usually won the sprint races in practices. The other reason I think we could run more are the reports that McBroom is faster than KM. Mitchell could be very opportunistic on the break, but didn't really have the blazing speed of McCall. Looking at McBroom's Central Michigan highlights, there are a lot of clips of him leading the break. Plus Cody was not much for filling the lane on the break, although he was pretty adept at flaring out to the 3-point line and being ready on the secondary break. If Reggie is in he rotation, he may have more of tendency to get out and run. I don't think we'll ever be run and gun,but I think we have the personnel that could make us very effective on the break.

color me excited. HATE. that's crazy about GG being the fastest. maybe he's just a psycho.

I don't remember where or what to look under to find it... But I remember seeing a video with someone interviewing JJ and asking him about being fastest on the team (? Little surprised, not very, but a little) and Jett looking down ashamed while explaining that GG always beats him in sprint races as GG laughed in the background.

I always advocate running more especially against teams we are better than. The more possessions we have against the North Texases of the world, the less chance there is that a few lucky threes from the enemy will sink the Bills.

In theory running more always sounds like a great idea but the main reason why we have had so much success the past two season was that we did not turn the ball over. Running more will lead to turnovers and easy baskets for the opposition. The paced we played at last season was a perfect blend for our personnel.

In theory running more always sounds like a great idea but the main reason why we have had so much success the past two season was that we did not turn the ball over. Running more will lead to turnovers and easy baskets for the opposition. The paced we played at last season was a perfect blend for our personnel.

I don't agree with the bolded statement. I say that's not necessarily true. Whether a turnover leads to an easy basket for the opposition depends on whether or not it stays in play (i.e., be a steal). Throwing the ball out of bounds on a break (for example) results in an opportunity to set up full-court defense, if so inclined.

Most fast-break opportunities in college basketball stem from steals and long rebounds with poor offensive balance (too many players going for offensive rebounds) rather than the average missed shot.

I don't agree with the bolded statement. I say that's not necessarily true. Whether a turnover leads to an easy basket for the opposition depends on whether or not it stays in play (i.e., be a steal). Throwing the ball out of bounds on a break (for example) results in an opportunity to set up full-court defense, if so inclined.

Most fast-break opportunities in college basketball stem from steals and long rebounds with poor offensive balance (too many players going for offensive rebounds) rather than the average missed shot.

Ok then. Running more will lead to more turnovers which isn't what you want with our personnel.

Ok then. Running more will lead to more turnovers which isn't what you want with our personnel.

I still don't think that's necessarily true. With good guard play and teammates who are well familiar with one another, pushing the tempo when the opportunity presents itself doesn't automatically lead to an increased rate of turnovers.

I still don't think that's necessarily true. With good guard play and teammates who are well familiar with one another, pushing the tempo when the opportunity presents itself doesn't automatically lead to an increased rate of turnovers.

Pushing the tempo when the opportunity presents itself is exactly what we did last year. So no, I don't think we should run more

Pushing the tempo when the opportunity presents itself is exactly what we did last year. So no, I don't think we should run more

I agree with this statement. Push the tempo when it is presented, as occurred last season. It is about being opportunistic.

Pushing the tempo to get easy baskets works if your team has two qualities: athleticism and the intelligence to know when to pull back if it's not there. I think that this team has both in sufficient quantities to try running a little bit more. The purpose of the motion offense is to create the maximum number of opportunities in a possession to get a good look. The motion offense creates opportunities for shots, but doesn't force anything. IMO, teams that run a disciplined motion offense (i.e. the Billikens) would be naturally better at trying to break out off a defensive rebound, because they're more accustomed to turning down bad looks than other teams (they do it multiple times in a possession in the motion offense). The purpose of running off of a missed basket is the same, to create a quality look, which can compliment the motion offense. I think this group is athletic enough and smart enough to add this to their repertoire and would love to see it incorporated more often.

I'm all for doing what we did last year. Run when the scenario presents itself. But this reminded me of this clip from Brad Stevens after we beat Butler the 2nd time. Start around the 4:35 mark if the video doesn't start there itself.

I have gone back and watched quite a few games this summer (I don't care about baseball or the NBA, so I need my Billiken fix). It seemed that as the season went on, KM coming back and GG in the starting lineup, we really looked to push the tempo quite a bit more, not just simply being opportunistic. RL and CR were really looking to make long outlet passes off of rebounds.

In the VCU game at the Fetz, we really attacked after beating the press or creating turnovers. The 1st and 3rd Butler game we looked to run a lot. Even the LaSalle game, which you wouldn't figure would be a match-up where we would want to get in a track meet, we got out and ran quite a bit in the second half and dominated them. I just think if McBroom brings this speed element and our bigs are mobile, we could see it even more. Even if Grandy doesn't become a great post-up scorer, he could be a real asset filling the lane on the break. Our quickness and depth could be a real advantage over a lot of our opponents.

It depends. We shouldn't be getting into track meets with vcu, but running out against an inferior sloppy pigment isn't a bad idea

VCU doesn't really get into track meets. They only ranked 74th in tempo last year. They push the tempo a little bit, but they aren't exactly forcing a quicker tempo like North Carolina, Arkansas, or even Umass does.

I have gone back and watched quite a few games this summer (I don't care about baseball or the NBA, so I need my Billiken fix). It seemed that as the season went on, KM coming back and GG in the starting lineup, we really looked to push the tempo quite a bit more, not just simply being opportunistic. RL and CR were really looking to make long outlet passes off of rebounds.

In the VCU game at the Fetz, we really attacked after beating the press or creating turnovers. The 1st and 3rd Butler game we looked to run a lot. Even the LaSalle game, which you wouldn't figure would be a match-up where we would want to get in a track meet, we got out and ran quite a bit in the second half and dominated them. I just think if McBroom brings this speed element and our bigs are mobile, we could see it even more. Even if Grandy doesn't become a great post-up scorer, he could be a real asset filling the lane on the break. Our quickness and depth could be a real advantage over a lot of our opponents.

I will say there was an increase in pace of play from the previous season to the next. Comparing the time period you went with (conference play, once KM was back and GG was inserted in lineup), the possessions per game went up from 64.8 in 2011-12 to 66.9 in 2012-13. This, of course, led to an increase in scoring, as in 2011-12 (conference play) it was 68.6 and last season (conference play) it was 71.4. This represents an increase of two more possessions which led to about 3 more points per game. Also, that pace was 132nd in the nation during that time, compared with 230th during the same stretch in 2011-12.

Now, I'm not too sure I would give Glaze that much credit for the up-tempo approach. During that stretch, he only averaged 13.2 minutes per game, so it is kind of hard to say that he had a lot to do with the increase in pace when he wasn't on the floor the majority of the game.

I will say there was an increase in pace of play from the previous season to the next. Comparing the time period you went with (conference play, once KM was back and GG was inserted in lineup), the possessions per game went up from 64.8 in 2011-12 to 66.9 in 2012-13. This, of course, led to an increase in scoring, as in 2011-12 (conference play) it was 68.6 and last season (conference play) it was 71.4. This represents an increase of two more possessions which led to about 3 more points per game. Also, that pace was 132nd in the nation during that time, compared with 203th during the same stretch in 2011-12.

Now, I'm not too sure I would give Glaze that much credit for the up-tempo approach. During that stretch, he only averaged 13.2 minutes per game, so it is kind of hard to say that he had a lot to do with the increase in pace when he wasn't on the floor the majority of the game.

I don't have the numbers to back this up (not sure exactly where to find those numbers), but to my eyes the offense seemed to be more efficient when Glaze was in. The problem with that was the defense seemed to suffer just as much.

VCU doesn't really get into track meets. They only ranked 74th in tempo last year. They push the tempo a little bit, but they aren't exactly forcing a quicker tempo like North Carolina, Arkansas, or even Umass does.

To clarify I don't think pigment had anything to do with pace.Haha. phone auto corrected that.

But thanks for those stats, those surprise me. Id think more teams would be getting into running with them.

I think the overriding sentiment is that they will run when the opportunity presents itself. It worked out pretty well last year.

Exactly.

Majerus set up a great system, Crews followed it, we ran a tad more last year with the growth and maturity of three excellent, quick combo guards Mitchell, McCall & Jett.

The notion that Glaze's straight ahead speed will enable us to run more is questionable, and that McBroom is faster than KM based on his tapes in the MAC is not solid enough to go by... so stay with what works...

Exactly.

RM set up a great system, JC followed it, we ran a tad more last year due to the growth and maturity of three excellent, quick combo guards Mitchell, McCall & Jett.

The notion that Glaze's straight ahead speed will enable us to run more is questionable to say the least; and that McBroom is faster than KM based on his tapes in the MAC is dubious at best.

Stay with what works...

+1 "if it ain't broke..."

Crews has said our defense creates our offense.

Pace stats are misleading. We did run way more. But the way we play defense slows the other team to a standstill. So we don't get that many more possessions and it appears we are only playing slightly faster. We certainly don't just run to run. We don't have anyone throwing outlet passes like Wes Unseld. Crews pushed the pace way more than Majerus and I think he'll continue doing so but I doubt if that will include Glaze running through the lanes and finishing on the break, that's not how we play.