Recruiting - 2014

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what Jahlil Okafor tweeted, I don't know if it was sarcasm.

@MilesReyRey3 is committing tomorrow! Where will he go?! Harvard? LSU? St Louis? Iowa? Davidson? Where where where?? Haha

If hes not those are some pretty good schools.

Not sure why it would be sarcasm; they are HS teammates. Worded a little strangely, but so is almost everything on Twitter.

I'm a little higher on McCaw than Reynolds right now for a couple reasons- one, he's more of a known quantity who has been ranked in and out of the top 100 prospects in the class, can definitely shoot the ball, and play and defend multiple positions. Second, look at our roster after this season:

Seniors: Manning, Glaze

Juniors: Yacoubou, McBroom

Sophomores: Lancona, Agbeko, Crawford

Freshmen: Roby, Bartley, Gillmann, Jolly

We basically have a bunch of bigs and a bunch of guys who played PG in high school. The only guys who look like true 2-3 types are Crawford and Ash. I'd take a 6-6 perimeter scorer over another PG/combo guard.

That said, I'd be happy to land both Reynolds and McCaw. Really pleased, actually. And I'd really hope we redshirt a big (probably Gillmann).

I'm assuming at this point that we will get Reynolds later today but looking at the above breakdown of the players for the next year or two, we really have a hole in the roster. We have a bunch of 6'4" and shorter PG/SG's and 6'8" and above PF/C's. We have a real gap in the slashing type, 6'5"-6'6" SF-someone with similar skills and size to Evans. It could be that Crawford can fill that role or we go with a 3 Guard-2 Forward/Center lineup. While McCaw would be a nice addition for a number of reasons his size just adds to the above dilemma and before anyone says Glaze fills that role, at least next year, personally, I don't see him having that type of skill set (although it is possible he has improved his skills to play the Evans role).

On the positive side, ya gotta love the size Crews and crew are recruiting. When was the last time we had 3, 6'10" guys (JM, AG and BJ) along with 2, 6'8" studs (RA and TL)? Couple that with 3 or 4, 6'4" guards (AY, DR, MB and hopefully MR) and the future looks very bright.

This is what Jahlil Okafor tweeted, I don't know if it was sarcasm.

@MilesReyRey3 is committing tomorrow! Where will he go?! Harvard? LSU? St Louis? Iowa? Davidson? Where where where?? Haha

If hes not those are some pretty good schools.

I think it is pretty clear from the tweet that it means if Reynolds commits to SLU we are a lock to get Okafor.

I was just checking Miles Reynolds tweet page, he has many pictures there. Appears to be a really nice kid, someone I think could be an asset to SLU.

As if potentially getting a good player and good student isn't enough, people should check out Miles' dad's profile. He is the CEO of Loop Capital

http://www.loopcap.com/node/592

To say that he is incredibly successful is an understatement. I suspect the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. Hopefully we get good news at 7:30 tonight.

The only problem with this is scheduled announcement is that if he's going to do a press conference and do the which-hat-will-I-put-on thing, he may have trouble actually finding a SLU hat.

As if potentially getting a good player and good student isn't enough, people should check out Miles' dad's profile. He is the CEO of Loop Capital

http://www.loopcap.com/node/592

To say that he is incredibly successful is an understatement. I suspect the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. Hopefully we get good news at 7:30 tonight.

Maybe he can hang out with Doc Chaifetz courtside at the games.

I'm assuming at this point that we will get Reynolds later today but looking at the above breakdown of the players for the next year or two, we really have a hole in the roster. We have a bunch of 6'4" and shorter PG/SG's and 6'8" and above PF/C's. We have a real gap in the slashing type, 6'5"-6'6" SF-someone with similar skills and size to Evans. It could be that Crawford can fill that role or we go with a 3 Guard-2 Forward/Center lineup. While McCaw would be a nice addition for a number of reasons his size just adds to the above dilemma and before anyone says Glaze fills that role, at least next year, personally, I don't see him having that type of skill set (although it is possible he has improved his skills to play the Evans role).

On the positive side, ya gotta love the size Crews and crew are recruiting. When was the last time we had 3, 6'10" guys (JM, AG and BJ) along with 2, 6'8" studs (RA and TL)? Couple that with 3 or 4, 6'4" guards (AY, DR, MB and hopefully MR) and the future looks very bright.

I don't see it as that much of an issue. Basically, I am okay with going out and getting the best players and then fitting them into the lineup rather than recruiting based on a perceived "need."

Here are the heights for the 2014-15 team (from the official roster or Scout.com):

Manning 6-11

Glaze 6-6

McBroom 5-9

Yacoubou 6-4

Lancona 6-8

Agbeko 6-7

Crawford 6-4

Bartley 6-3

Roby 6-4

Gillmann 6-11

Jolly 6-10

Reynolds (?) 6-2

McCaw (?) 6-5

Would we have an Evans type player who can bang in the paint at the 3? Probably not (unless you count Agbeko). However, I think Yacoubou, Crawford, Roby, and McCaw would all be guys who could see minutes at the 3 and we would be okay. One inch isn't doesn't matter that much for the 6-4 guys vs your 6-5 to 6-6 range.

I don't see it as that much of an issue. Basically, I am okay with going out and getting the best players and then fitting them into the lineup rather than recruiting based on a perceived "need."

Here are the heights for the 2014-15 team (from the official roster or Scout.com):

Manning 6-11

Glaze 6-6

McBroom 5-9

Yacoubou 6-4

Lancona 6-8

Agbeko 6-7

Crawford 6-4

Bartley 6-3

Roby 6-4

Gillmann 6-11

Jolly 6-10

Reynolds (?) 6-2

McCaw (?) 6-5

Would we have an Evans type player who can bang in the paint at the 3? Probably not (unless you count Agbeko). However, I think Yacoubou, Crawford, Roby, and McCaw would all be guys who could see minutes at the 3 and we would be okay. One inch isn't doesn't matter that much for the 6-4 guys vs your 6-5 to 6-6 range.

While I basically agree with your first paragraph, I'd still like to have at least one Evans size/skill type player. While your comment about the minor diff between 6'4" and 6'5" or 6'6" is true, my thinking is not so much about that small difference but rather about the fact that none of the 6'4" guys (except MC) have been 3s or 4s in high school-they are used to playing PG/SG as opposed to SF. Again, with the perceived talent I think JC is recruiting, I agree that we should be able to work around this issue. If McCaw is in fact 6'5 or 6'6" then that issue goes away.

A little bird told me that we may be happy about Miles soon!

Is that little bird still talking to you?

I like the fact mentioned by another poster that CC is very involved in recruiting Reynolds. That plus the geography issue (being close enough that M & D can get to more of his games in STL than Baton Rouge) plus the quality of education at SLU vs LSU should seal the deal!