Recruiting - 2014

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know - we're already adding Bartley and Reynolds, who play PG for their HS teams. We're adding Roby, who can play PG when necessary (Jett brings the ball up sometimes, and rarely winds up with a PG defensive assignment for spells). With McBroom, we have a number of guys who can run the point for stretches. Does offering a Juco PG send a message that Crews lacks confidence in his abilities to be the man at PG moving forward? Or does it mean he lacks confidence in the abilities of the freshmen to step in and contribute?

I know "you can never have too many point guards," but man, would a 6-5 to 6-7 wing be really nice. A long, athletic 3 is the top of my wish list for that last spot.

Wouldn't hate a guard rotation of McBroom, Ash, Crawford, JUCO -- make the freshmen earn their minutes.

What makes you think Ash and the JUCO do not have to earn their minutes? Especially the JUCO. One or two of the freshmen may be better than any of them. The JUCO probably has not watched the Billikens, while all the freshmen have been following us this season and are familiar with the system. Everyone should have to earn minutes. Next year's team will be completely different with maybe a different system. If that is the case, everyone will be starting from the beginning.

I don't know - we're already adding Bartley and Reynolds, who play PG for their HS teams. We're adding Roby, who can play PG when necessary (Jett brings the ball up sometimes, and rarely winds up with a PG defensive assignment for spells). With McBroom, we have a number of guys who can run the point for stretches. Does offering a Juco PG send a message that Crews lacks confidence in his abilities to be the man at PG moving forward? Or does it mean he lacks confidence in the abilities of the freshmen to step in and contribute?

I know "you can never have too many point guards," but man, would a 6-5 to 6-7 wing be really nice. A long, athletic 3 is the top of my wish list for that last spot.

I emphatically agree with your post!

What makes you think Ash and the JUCO do not have to earn their minutes? Especially the JUCO. One or two of the freshmen may be better than any of them. The JUCO probably has not watched the Billikens, while all the freshmen have been following us this season and are familiar with the system. Everyone should have to earn minutes. Next year's team will be completely different with maybe a different system. If that is the case, everyone will be starting from the beginning.

If the freshman are better players than Ash and the JUCO, that will be an exciting class to watch for 4 years.

Davell Roby had 24pts 6rebs 4asst and 3stls last night in a loss to Arlington. Their season is over.

We beat out more than a couple SEC for his services. I was impressed with him the one game I got to see him play.

Completely agree.

I agree an athletic 3 would be awesome. However, I have serious doubts about AM being a solid point guard. He turns it over too much, doesn't penetrate well, which doesn't open up the court for 3point shooting. Basically, he's a shooting guard in a 5' 9" body. Ash and Crawford aren't points, so, my guess is that the staff wants some collegiate experience in a point, not to rely on freshmen.

Also, he doesn't defend quick guards well, which causes our defensive rotations to get all screwed up.

I believe McBroom will get better defensively. McCall and Jett were not all that strong defensively their first year. Now that McBroom has played a year I believe he will adjust and be more productive next season. Another guard is not going to make SLU's rebounding stronger; that is something that needs to be fixed.

Good taking that kid would be boring and not a serious need-

although I would have had Crawford and Mc Broom in at the end of last game I remember AM is a very short shooting guard who is going to have to work as hard as Jake Barnett to become an adequate defender and his passing skills are sometimes very good his ball handling better than Jett and Evans but not as good as MM-I still like him because he keeps the defense honest he is most unlike Polk player we have. You can never have enough jump shot shooters. This year's team like last years was too dependent on the lay in shot.

Don't get us another 6 foot 1 guard when we still never covered our need for a banger I.e. Conklin, Remeuken, Justin Tatum, Heinrich,etc

Good taking that kid would be boring and not a serious need-

although I would have had Crawford and Mc Broom in at the end of last game I remember AM is a very short shooting guard who is going to have to work as hard as Jake Barnett to become an adequate defender and his passing skills are sometimes very good his ball handling better than Jett and Evans but not as good as MM-I still like him because he keeps the defense honest he is most unlike Polk player we have. You can never have enough jump shot shooters. This year's team like last years was too dependent on the lay in shot.

Don't get us another 6 foot 1 guard when we still never covered our need for a banger I.e. Conklin, Remeuken, Justin Tatum, Heinrich,etc

They are counting on Jolly to be a physical presence underneath.

Dickerson is off the board. Committed to Iowa.

If you follow(ed) Dickerson on twitter, some of the Iowa fans' recruitment that he re-tweeted of him was pretty sickening. Some guy dressed his kid up in a Hawkeye costume and had him pose for a picture holding a sign basically begging Dickerson to come to Iowa. The same guy then tracked Dickerson down at the game to take a picture with the kid. I guess Dickerson must have gotten a kick out of it, but I thought it was disgusting that someone would use their kid like that.

speaking of another athletic JC big:

what's the latest on the kid Kevin Thomas at Midland College TX? He was the kid that originally committed to Texas but failed to qualify back then.

I know there was strong interest at one point, not sure I've seen him listed for a while on here but maybe he committed elsewhere (seem to recall TX quit on him?)? also not sure about qualifying, or if he fits the mold for SLU?? any thoughts on him?

Roberson from Texas is now off the board:

New commitment: Vanderbilt received a commitment from Jeff Roberson of The Kinkaid School (Houston). The 6-foot-6, 210-pound small forward visited Vanderbilt on Monday and took in the Commodores’ practice prior to announcing his pledge via Twitter on Tuesday.

Roberson also had offers from Saint Louis, Davidson, Harvard and Rice. He can sign from April 16 and May 21. He’ll be the fourth member of Vanderbilt’s 2014 class, which includes guards Wade Baldwin, Matthew Fisher-Davis and Riley LaChance.

I'm assuming he read the post above that about the former Texas commit who failed to qualify and thought they were the same kid

Pretty lame bunch. All of em.

If I was Crews, I'd be taking the first train out to a middling Major after the season. He knows what he's not going to have and it's time to strike while the iron is hot. Don't argue with me. You know I'm right. Alabama or another middling SEC team offers and he's gone with the wind.

Hey, maybe the Lakers will offer :lol:

If I was Crews, I'd be taking the first train out to a middling Major after the season. He knows what he's not going to have and it's time to strike while the iron is hot. Don't argue with me. You know I'm right. Alabama or another middling SEC team offers and he's gone with the wind.

Hey, maybe the Lakers will offer :lol:[/quoteMaybe Crews will go to coach VCU when Shaka leaved to coach Missouri.

Hey, maybe the akers will offer :lol:[/quoteMaybe Crews will go to coach VCU when Shaka leaved to coach Missouri.

DOH,You know better. Good luck with those magna-recruits. Everyone wants to ban me, cuz i speak the truth and good CBB IQ. Someone challenge with some CBB intellect. Please.

I await anyone talking real CBB without calling names. What I post is real. No BS. Just look at all the folks calling an A10 tourney win for VCU. They know nothing? These are professionals.