Creighton over SLU??? It just really bothers me.

For the record, I still think we will be "in," and likely by next season, but I agree with your statement. Biondi should have done absolutely everything possible to ensure we were on the initial list; we should have been the front-runner for the third spot.

I just don't agree with this and I am no Biondi supporter.

Try as I might, Kate Upton might still turn me down. It is her decision, made on her terms. Biondi may have very well been a superstar in these negotiations. He also may not have been. The end result doesn't provide much evidence either way frankly as the decision was the C7's.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 things have really, really hurt us. 1) The Brad Soderberg hire, which set the program back 5+ years, and 2) the "Situation," which delayed the resurgence by a year. Biondi can take much of the blame for both events.

The timing of Majerus's passing was also unfortunate. He would have been in EVERYBODY'S ear this season promoting SLU to the Big East.

2 things have really, really hurt us. 1) The Brad Soderberg hire, which set the program back 5+ years, and 2) the "Situation," which delayed the resurgence by a year. Biondi can take much of the blame for both events.

The timing of Majerus's passing was also unfortunate. He would have been in EVERYBODY'S ear this season promoting SLU to the Big East.

+1

I just don't agree with this and I am no Biondi supporter.

Try as I might, Kate Upton might still turn me down. It is her decision, made on her terms. Biondi may have very well been a superstar in these negotiations. He also may not have been. The end result doesn't provide much evidence either way frankly as the decision was the C7's.

So if we don't see you for awhile, we can assume Kate Upton said yes, right?

Totally agree with that assessment.

I would add a third factor: the delay in building/opening Chaifetz. The plan to build a Top 50 program took forever. Other priorities were higher. But the plan -- coach and building -- eventually was executed. Let's enjoy the ride. And make the right coaching decision moving forward.

How is Biondi to blame for the situation?

It is somewhat obvious why X and Butler were chosen over us. X because they've realized the importance of having a consistently good program and spending the $ do to so. Butler because they got a rep after being Cinderella in 2 final fours. CU? Because MU endorsed them plain and simple. Anyone looking at this from a purely business point of view would never have made this choice. MU has now effed SLU twice. MU can bite my arse.

It is somewhat obvious why X and Butler were chosen over us. X because they've realized the importance of having a consistently good program and spending the $ do to so. Butler because they got a rep after being Cinderella in 2 final fours. CU? Because MU endorsed them plain and simple. Anyone looking at this from a purely business point of view would never have made this choice. MU has now effed SLU twice. MU can bite my arse.

MU will get theirs when they lose in the first round this week.

i hate to keep harping on this but failure to sell SLU over Omaha U lays squarely on the feet of Rev Biondi. He needs to go. What's happening tomorrow is unacceptable.

If Biondi is not well liked by much of his own school's alumni base, does it not stand to reason that perhaps the giant egos that run the C7 schools may not care much for him either? First of all, we have no idea if Biondi lobbied for inclusion in the new conference. Second, if Biondi did not lobby, maybe that was a calculated decision based on his standing with the other school presidents. So many are assuming that this is Biondi's fault, and that may be true. But maybe our delayed entry into the new league is simply a result of the fact that there are limited spots, financial considerations of which we are not aware, and the simple reality that not all decisions are based on logic--they are based on alliances, friendships, returned favors, etc. SLU will be just fine. Patience, grasshoppers.

If Biondi is not well liked by much of his own school's alumni base, does it not stand to reason that perhaps the giant egos that run the C7 schools may not care much for him either?

i've never seen that statement inferred proven. myself, as an alumni that graduated prior to biondi coming to slu, i think he is responsible for just about all the success and growth of the university since he arrived and while i dont want to go up against him in any sort of a business deal, i have tremendous respect for that success and his ability to run our school. i.e i still like him.

i've never seen that statement inferred proven. myself, as an alumni that graduated prior to biondi coming to slu, i think he is responsible for just about all the success and growth of the university since he arrived and while i dont want to go up against him in any sort of a business deal, i have tremendous respect for that success and his ability to run our school. i.e i still like him.

I, personally, agree. I'm a Biondi fan. I know many alumni who are not, however, and I think it's not a reach to say that he might not be Mr. Popularity amongst some of his peers. My larger point was just that blaming Biondi for the fact we are not included in the inaugural NBE is pure speculation. There are almost certainly much larger considerations in play here than the distance between DC and Omaha, whether or not Biondi lobbied hard enough, etc.

Doug Woolard's sorry excuse for a "national search for a head coach" also set us back. I hope he has a seat right next to the furnace in Hell.

ABomb, I thought you were going to help our resident priest with his PowerPoint slides. What happened? All you needed was a slide with a map and some population density charts.

I did neglect my duty in this situation. I offered up the support but was never contacted. I should've been more pro-active. Maybe I can help in the tournament some way.

David, I've been asking the same since all this started. The only thing that makes sense is that CU's pres is on MU's board. Good old boy network? That's my take.Seriously, if you're going West why not SLU so your olympic sports don't have to travel another 300 miles to an off the wall city?

72. Of course, we would all have preferred the Big East go straight to 12 teams. Again, I'm not so sure why. If, though, the C7 could only go to 10, then it does make more sense to take CU b/c of the less expensive buyout from the Valley. My hang up is with the initial 10 team league. Quite possibly, the C7 are really taking 1 from the Valley (CU) and 4 from the A10 now but are just implementing the 4 losses from the A10 in stages. Quite possibly, these stages may make the buyout (both exit fees and Tourney credits) of X and Butler easier if UD and SLU stay in the A10 one more year. In essence, the A10 loses 2 this year and 2 next year as opposed to 3 this year and 1 next year. Also, it probably makes more sense to negotiate with the A10 to get all 4 schools now and with the Valley to get Creighton - possibly the Valley has the votes to greatly increase the exit fee on CU if CU were to stay another year. Finally, there is, no doubt, some comfort to joining the Big East next year -- with our rival/UD -- as opposed to being left behind (whether us or UD) while watching your 3 rivals all join a year earlier. I could be wrong but this is probably the C7 negotiating with the A10 more so than the C7 choosing CU over SLU or UD.

I'm not worried. In the end we'll be in.

What can we take away from this snub? Support our athletic dept financially. Creighton has, we haven't. This isn't a product of what has happened in the last 6 months, or year, or even last 5 years. Creighton has been building a superior athletic product for a couple decades. SLU has largely neglected theirs up until recently.

It is only a matter of time before some Creighton fan comes on here and starts posting crappy pictures of downtown Omaha (which could be mistaken for a block of Clayton) to help justify their worth. I guess I am not over my rant. ;)

Didn't we have some BlueJay fan on here that used to post real pictures of one of our most active participants?

Why do I remember these things <_< ?

Why are we blaming Marquette for this?

Creighton's president is on the Marquette board and it has been rumored for a while that Marquette pushed very hard for Creighton to be invited. People, probably rightfully so, have put 2 and 2 together.

Creighton's president is on the Marquette board and it has been rumored for a while that Marquette pushed very hard for Creighton to be invited. People, probably rightfully so, have put 2 and 2 together.

I need more to go on than that, but I can see how it's enough to raise the ire of some people here. The amount of behind the scenes information we have on any of this is so limited, it's probably unfair to place blame on anyone for anything at this point. I mean, someone who calls himself "A Jersey Guy" is the leading source of information on this whole matter - we're not talking about Woodward and Bernstein here.

I need more to go on than that, but I can see how it's enough to raise the ire of some people here. The amount of behind the scenes information we have on any of this is so limited, it's probably unfair to place blame on anyone for anything at this point. I mean, someone who calls himself "A Jersey Guy" is the leading source of information on this whole matter - we're not talking about Woodward and Bernstein here.

Agree, and we'll really never know. Quite frankly we really "never know" about most stuff that becomes gospel on this board.

At the end of the day we are going to get in and everyone will be happy. In the meantime, people are nervous and are going to take out their anger on an easy target (Biondi, Marquette, city of Omaha, etc.)

I'm not worried. In the end we'll be in.

What can we take away from this snub? Support our athletic dept financially. Creighton has, we haven't. This isn't a product of what has happened in the last 6 months, or year, or even last 5 years. Creighton has been building a superior athletic product for a couple decades. SLU has largely neglected theirs up until recently.

I couldnt agree more. Creighton is a recognized national basketball power. Why wouldnt the Big East want them in right away? And the trashing of Omaha and its market is largely irrelevant. A Creighton-GTown, or a Creighton-Marquette, or a Creighton-Villanova matchup will be a national draw

I couldnt agree more. Creighton is a recognized national basketball power. Why wouldnt the Big East want them in right away? And the trashing of Omaha and its market is largely irrelevant. A Creighton-GTown, or a Creighton-Marquette, or a Creighton-Villanova matchup will be a national draw

I don't know. Creighton-Villanova? National draw? More like Philly and Omaha. I'd have more interest in Southwest Mo state playing UCF and my feelings toward the valley are a matter of record.....

-I agree with much of what Torch says

-do we call X and Butler for scheduling for next season? or tell them to 'bite us'?

If it is announced that we and Dayton are 2014 members and we don't find a way to get out of the A-10 prior to that I would think a deal could be made with at least 2 teams in the existing Big East to play games. It could work something like this:

SLU plays @ Butler

Butler plays @ Dayton

Dayton plays @ Xavier

Xavier plays @ SLU

Everyone gets a home and away game and some pretty good rivalries continue. Probably makes too much sense to actually happen though.