New Big East Announced 3/20

Taj79

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for the board: Given that the presidents of these schools are a tight-knit bunch, do you think having Biondi as our president was a negative?

I wouldn't be shocked if fewer than 7 of the existing Big East presidents wanted him on board. Just a thought.

Question for the board: Given that the presidents of these schools are a tight-knit bunch, do you think having Biondi as our president was a negative?

I wouldn't be shocked if fewer than 7 of the existing Big East presidents wanted him on board. Just a thought.

That has certainly crossed my mind.

This is a bummer and Creighton over SLU stings. Let's just not forget Gonzaga isn't in the Big East and they're a 1 seed in the tournament.

This could still be our big year. We just have to keep building the Billiken brand.

Creighton is the more attractive program at this stage, with greater fan support (nothing else to do in Omaha).

Big East also probably doesn't mind having one of the nation's most prolific scorers - McDermott - on board for next year. That'll draw some eyes.

I'm not sure if our recent success is blinding me, but is perhaps the lack of a really attractive "12th Team" stalling our entry in the short-term?

Well, he's getting up in age and will be gone sooner rather than later from SLU. The presidents may not like him, but the TV market is large enough and Fox wants SLU. I think that more than balances things in our favor.

All along we've heard that we'd be in the 2nd phase for 2014. If July 1 comes around with no invite we can freak out then. The NCAA game needs to get here already so people can freak out about something SLU can actually control.

Big East also probably doesn't mind having one of the nation's most prolific scorers - McDermott - on board for next year. That'll draw some eyes.

Everything I've heard is that McDermott is going pro. Creighton might be well into the bottom half of the Big East next season.

-if you want to go down the road of our not taking the ADept seriously for a period (after making the 'top 25' comment) and having Creighton become or stay more attractive than SLU, I would say that would be a negative for this situation

FWIW, Biondi is in Asia this week.

SLU only has conference realignment and oh I dont know....March Madness going on. Couldn't schedule the trip for early March or anything...

Hey, Larry got the arena built. His job is apparently done.

Well, he's getting up in age and will be gone sooner rather than later from SLU. The presidents may not like him, but the TV market is large enough and Fox wants SLU. I think that more than balances things in our favor.

All along we've heard that we'd be in the 2nd phase for 2014. If July 1 comes around with no invite we can freak out then. The NCAA game needs to get here already so people can freak out about something SLU can actually control.

-really?

KShoe, I agree with everything you have written on this topic. Nonetheless, I am still going to despise Creighton and Marquette until we are officially in the Big East. It just makes things easier to channel the uncertainty that way.

What is there to make of the UMass stuff saying that SLU and Dayton told them they were leaving the A10? I am not sure how I feel about all this - all the reports said it was going to be X, Butler and Creighton with us and Dayton coming on board in 2014 - so should I believe the reports and not worry or should I worry that the reports were only half correct? Man o man!

What is there to make of the UMass stuff saying that SLU and Dayton told them they were leaving the A10? I am not sure how I feel about all this - all the reports said it was going to be X, Butler and Creighton with us and Dayton coming on board in 2014 - so should I believe the reports and not worry or should I worry that the reports were only half correct? Man o man!

It IS hard being a Billiken fan.

I know the potential Big East move is about the long-term and ultimately getting in is what is most important, but in the short term, this really sucks. In the next month, we will be faced with making a decision on our head coach and an important spring recruiting period. If we knew that we were going into the Big East in the next couple of weeks, it would greatly help us continue the momentum that has been built with our performance on the court.

Someone tweeted to Burwell that he got the story of SLU being in wrong - Burwell's response:

bryan burwell ‏@realbburwell 4s

“@larrywitness: @realbburwell Once again got the story wrong. They were not invited.” I did not get the story wrong... Look at what I said

Thoughts?

Who cares? Burwell's reporting on this, like most things, has been mostly incomplete and lazy. No need to pile on and take this out on him as well. If you don't like the guy or his reporting, just don't pay attention.

KShoe, I agree with everything you have written on this topic. Nonetheless, I am still going to despise Creighton and Marquette until we are officially in the Big East. It just makes things easier to channel the uncertainty that way.

I am in agreement wit this and still won't be surprised if we're playing in the nBE in 2013/2014.

Everything I've heard is that McDermott is going pro. Creighton might be well into the bottom half of the Big East next season.

Even if he does go, they'll still finish above the Chicago powerhouse DePaul. They may even be worse than NM State's football team

Lets see, cu leaving the Valley, and I thought Evansville was too, maybe SLU and Dayton are going to the Valley. Nah, wouldn't happen.

Just kidding!!!!!