New C7 Board

NJRedMan

it also might be a matter that they need an eastern school to balance a two conference set up. look at the players rumored to be considered, on the eastern side, you have villanova, st johns, seton hall, georgetown and providence. on the west side, they have marquette, depaul, x, butler, and then creighton, slu, dayton? someone has to go east. thus substitute richmond or vcu for one of slu, creighton or dayton.

Your math is wrong, Broy. If they go only 10 they're going to have 4 Mid W schools, MU, DePaul, X, and Butler, and 6 east coast schools Now if they go 12, adding Richmond might make sense and leave out Dayton. I see us in before Dayton because of market size and overlap with X.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your math is wrong, Broy. If they go only 10 they're going to have 4 Mid W schools, MU, DePaul, X, and Butler, and 6 east coast schools Now if they go 12, adding Richmond might make sense and leave out Dayton. I see us in before Dayton because of market size and overlap with X.

But...but...Dayton has a lot of people go to UD Arena...and, they have a lot of people go to UD Arena.

72, i am not even considering 10 teams. it would be an absolutely stupid and/or arrogant move. stupid because they go against their tv partner's wishes and arrogant because the existing 7 think they are above the extra two teams and do not want to split profits.

it will be 12 teams. too much money riding on it to be otherwise.

The reason for SLU having 7 NCAA Tournament appearances is NOT that SLU has had a historically bad program. Rather, it is because SLU was in a then ultra tough basketball conference, the Missouri Valley Conference (1937-1974) with powerful Louisville and Cincinnati (as in Oscar Robertson), later Memphis State teams, when the NCAA Tournament only took 1 team from a conference. SLU had good teams in the MVC. One late '60's SLU team had 3 players drafted by the NBA.

Creighton during that time is irrelevant. Creighton withdrew and was not a member of the MVC from 1948-49 to 1975-76. This means that Creighton was not battling Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis State for 1 NCAA bid per season.

That St. John's fan should realize that his then Red Men were Independents, as was Marquette. They weren't blocked from post-season play by not winning a conference regular season. They also were not blocked by Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis State.

Later, Rich Grawer had NCAA worthy teams at SLU and no NCAA appearances. Grawer coached SLU teams won 27, 25, and 21 games. Two of them were the NIT runner-ups. But the MCC then was a Juan Bid NCAA Tournament league.

Under Coaches Charlie Spoonhour (3) and Lorenzo Romar (1), 4 SLU teams went to the NCAA Tournament in a 7 year period between '94 and 2000. Two (2) of those 4 teams won their first NCAA Tournament game and advanced to the Round of 32.

SLU has 18 NIT appearances, was the 1948 NIT Champion, when the NIT was considered the National Championship, and 3 NIT runner-ups. Someone from St. John's, of all schools, should understand the past importance and prestige of the NIT.

So the past is not as bad as the SLU opponents would like to have one believe.

The SLU naysayers want to ignore the present, but obviously, the SLU present is very good, coming off a strong NCAA Tournament showing in 2012, winning in the Round of 64, and going head to head with the #1 seed in the Round of 32. Plus, this year's team is definitely trending upward, with a huge and dominating win over then 9th ranked nationally (albeit overrated) C7 competitor Butler and a total blowout win over C7 competitor Dayton. I predicted the win over Butler. I knew and know that SLU has the better team.

Defend our alma mater on those C7 Boards! Don't let their opinions get in the way of the real truth.

And what does Wichita State have to do with any of the discussion on those C7 Boards? There's that Valley again. As Otis Redding sings, "Down in the Valley, the Valley so low."

Some of you guys seem to be implying that logic matters on the C7 board or any other message board for that matter.

You do realize much of the discussion there is dominated by a WSU fan. I've heard nothing to insinuate that WSU is getting an invite. Let Metz at em' to stir them up*. That's all the board is good for anyway.

*Although this may get him going again and back to multiple online aliases which he seems to have recently gotten over that addiction.

Below are some head to head records. We wouldn't want these facts to get in the way of Wheatshocker opinions:

SLU 41 Wichita State 19

SLU 17 Butler 11. I was there Thursday night, and SLU thoroughly dominated Butler. I thought SLU would win, but that performance was most impressive. Anyone could see that SLU has the better team.

SLU 8 St. John's 3

SLU 2 Georgetown 0 (albeit the last meeting was in 1948)

SLU 2 Villanova 0

SLU 2 Seton Hall 0

SLU is the best school in the entire competition. SLU's basketball program is much better both historically, and certainly presently, than is being portrayed by various elements on those C7 Boards spouting their own agendas, in the case of Wichita State, a Don Quixote agenda from the Great Plains all the way to Fresno.

And then there was this latest rumor about the new league including not only Gonzaga, but also St. Mary's and San Diego. My friends, the SLU Basketball program is light years ahead of USD. That's not San Diego State, that's the University of San Diego. St. Mary's continues to play in a de facto 3,500 "seat" high school gym with walls at both ends. One can just see the Georgetown Hoyas invading Moraga!

Below are some head to head records. We wouldn't want these facts to get in the way of Wheatshocker opinions:

SLU 41 Wichita State 19

SLU 17 Butler 11. I was there Thursday night, and SLU thoroughly dominated Butler. I thought SLU would win, but that performance was most impressive. Anyone could see that SLU has the better team.

SLU 8 St. John's 3

SLU 2 Georgetown 0 (albeit the last meeting was in 1948)

SLU 2 Villanova 0

SLU 2 Seton Hall 0

SLU is the best school in the entire competition. SLU's basketball program is much better both historically, and certainly presently, than is being portrayed by various elements on those C7 Boards spouting their own agendas, in the case of Wichita State, a Don Quixote agenda from the Great Plains all the way to Fresno.

And then there was this latest rumor about the new league including not only Gonzaga, but also St. Mary's and San Diego. My friends, the SLU Basketball program is light years ahead of USD. That's not San Diego State, that's the University of San Diego. St. Mary's continues to play in a de facto 3,500 "seat" high school gym with walls at both ends. One can just see the Georgetown Hoyas invading Moraga!

I heard UCSD was joining as well. Go Tritons!

BAB does not have posting privileges on that Board, am not a member of the club.

Perhaps someone can cut and paste without any direct attacks on C7 members we are hoping to join.

Wichita State? With all the ridiculous attacks on SLU from evident Wheatshocker fans, perhaps a response or two is warranted just so there are no admissions by silence. Wichita State is irrelevant to the C7 discussions, but some Wichita State fans are spouting off anti-SLU information that is evidently being read on the East Coast.

Creighton is on the attack too- ridiculous.

Down in the Valley, the Valley so low.

I was just back in St. Louis, and witnessed the dominating victory over Butler and the blowout win over Dayton. But I also saw an MVC Arch Madness billboard on I-64, US 40, with my old home, Griesedieck Hall and the SLU Campus in the background behind the sign. That Valley- we're surrounded by it! It's advertising right in our backyard.

-BAB, continue to bring it!! not that head to head records matter in the new conf, much less ones from 60 years ago which leads to...

-why won't Gtwn play us? I can think of 4 Gtwn alumns I know in town and guess there are more so they have some presence here

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bay Area Billiken" data-cid="340564" data-time="1360100037"><p>

BAB does not have posting privileges on that Board, am not a member of the club.<br />

<br />

Perhaps someone can cut and paste without any direct attacks on C7 members we are hoping to join.<br />

<br />

Wichita State? With all the ridiculous attacks on SLU from evident Wheatshocker fans, perhaps a response or two is warranted just so there are no admissions by silence. Wichita State is irrelevant to the C7 discussions, but some Wichita State fans are spouting off anti-SLU information that is evidently being read on the East Coast.<br />

<br />

Creighton is on the attack too- ridiculous. <br />

<br />

Down in the Valley, the Valley so low.<br />

<br />

I was just back in St. Louis, and witnessed the dominating victory over Butler and the blowout win over Dayton. But I also saw an MVC Arch Madness billboard on I-64, US 40, with my old home, Griesedieck Hall and the SLU Campus in the background behind the sign. That Valley- we're surrounded by it! It's advertising right in our backyard.</p></blockquote>

Given that the Valley is headquartered in St Louis I prefer to think of it as, "We own the Valley."