Where do we go from here? (long)

kshoe

Is it possible that Majerus requested that Crews would be named interim coach?

The more I thought about this interim HC thing, the more you have to figure RM had some input. Look he just didn't hop onto a plane for LA, call May and say I won't be coaching this year, I'm really ill. Supposedly, his health has been an issue all summer, so am sure there were discussions on how to manage this year.

While, I think Kshoe's onto something w/ his do it now suggestion, it doesn't appear that's the way we're headed. I just hope when all the dust settles, they'll look at the whole picture and not hand Crews the keys to the car just because he made it from point A to point B w/o a wreck. He also has to show he can be a steward of the program, ie recruit and keep the talent we have. This is the mistake we made w/ Soderberg, and Biondi should know this as he over rode his AD and made the decision to fire him.

I'm not sure anyone on here's getting the feeling Crews is they guy to be HC, but it certainly appears at this time the powers that be are gonna give him his shot. I just hope they realize that there's a whole lot more to this job than being successful for one season. And right now there's no guarantee he'll even reach that goal.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have tried to read most of the stuff posted, but it is kind of hard to stay in the loop from Sweden, but I don't think we need to worry about this season too much. Loosing RM will eventually hurt our program, but we are looking at a team of mostly veterans that have played under RM their entire college career and know the system. Our new guys look good and if the current team stays intact through the season without injures there is nothing keeping SLU from another NCAA trip. I think I've heard this a few times now, but honestly recruiting and transfers should be our biggest priority from this season and beyond. Personally from readying about Crews history, I am not sure if he is the man to do this job. But then again, some have claimed he came to SLU as a favor to RM (and we all know RM has tricks up his sleeve even when we least expect it.) It'll all hopefully work itself out in the end, our thoughts and prayers are with RM for his health and wellbeing. He accomplished what he came to SLU to do, restore our team to its former prominence, and if he were to never coach another game I would consider him on of the greatest college coaches and without a doubt one of the best defensive minded coaches in the sport.

In terms of our "next" HC beyond Crews, first lets give Crews a chance. I have to think the administration will conduct interviews this fall for the 2013 and beyond seasons and more than likely Crews will be considered (if they don't start doing this recruiting is going to be nearly impossible as I know I wouldn't want to go play somewhere if I was not certain who my coach would be.) Luckily we are in the A10 so it shouldn't be to hard to get a new high caliber coach if that is what the administration wants. We are a strong conference with very high potential for post-season play along with attractive facilities and administration to work with. I don't think we will get another RM caliber coach, but the good coaches need to start somewhere so who knows what will happen. For now let's enjoy the season RM has orchestrated for us and wish him the best.

While, I think Kshoe's onto something w/ his do it now suggestion, it doesn't appear that's the way we're headed. I just hope when all the dust settles, they'll look at the whole picture and not hand Crews the keys to the car just because he made it from point A to point B w/o a wreck. He also has to show he can be a steward of the program, ie recruit and keep the talent we have. This is the mistake we made w/ Soderberg, and Biondi should know this as he over rode his AD and made the decision to fire him.

'72 . I'm less concerned about bringing up old topics and about continuing to find examples to trash Fr. Biondi than I am at trying to figure out what happened in the past as an indication as to how Fr. Biondi will act in the future. For example, I find it hard to believe that if Fr. Biondi had come to Cheryl Levick and said "Hey, we have a new big-time donor that wants us to make a run at a big-time coach, they have Rick Majerus in mind, he and Novelly will largely fund this attempt, now we need to get rid of Brad, please notify him ASAP that we are going in a different direction..." that Cheryl would not have smiled, said"are you serious?" and "OK, yes Father I will do that!!" No doubt that Cheryl was loyal to Brad but under the circumstances of limited budgets, bad facilities, cheapness at every corner and a stalled new arena project, Cheryl was right in that we could have a lot worse than Brad. My point: Fr. Biondi did not have to over ride his AD as you suggest.

Taking a step away from basketball, the same could be said with the recent law school dean. I don't know her, I don't know all the details but, again, I find it hard to believe that she would not have gone along with the decision to move the law school for all the positive reasons stated had she also been part of the process. Again, I see similarities with Cheryl Levick. If the school has been searching for a new building for years, if a new building gets donated, if a Board of Trustees passes away and leaves cash to rehab it and if it will have such great synergies with and amid the federal and state courthouses and large law firms, then I find it hard to believe that the recent law school dean also would not have smiled and said "Great!! OK, yes Father I will do that!!" Instead, it is Fr. Bionid's pattern of not involving key employees (not making them part of the process) over what clearly should be their biggest responsibility (mens basketball coach and new law school building) together with the complete and utter public surprise. Cheryl took the humiliation privately while the recent law school dean responded publicly and negatively.

Normally, coaches leave either half-way through the season (after Fall commitment day) or at the end of the season (after Fall commitment day). Here, the timing could not be worse for SLU -- yes, we are snake bit again!! Assuming we want to make a run a Vermont's coach (or someone like that), I would think our chances are much better landing this person at the end of this upcoming season than now. Up and coming, successful "mid-major" head coaches are NOT fixated as much on money as some believe. Opportunity, timing and freedom without meddling by superiors is probably equal or more important than money. The money will be there for these guys. IMO, patience is what is needed to make the right decision. North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky could replace/reload now. I just don't think we could right now.

I don't know if it's settling but I don't believe that we can afford to wait to the spring to make a hire. Too much recruiting needs to be done between now and then. Add in the reality that we aren't going to get someone with head coaching experience at this point and we are left talking about assistants.

I'd rather wait until the Spring and get the guy we really want rather than just hire the best guy that can take it right now.

A couple of names.

Scott Suttong from ORU. I read he turned down good money to leave already but could he be the guy and would Dr. C make it happen?

Rob Jeter UWM- Young maybe still a little early but ...

Larry Eustachy - I wouldn't let an incident 10 years ago dictate my decision

Donnie Jones - Central Florida, maybe early but

I am in the camp of waiting to hire in the spring - as some have said do all the ground work now and get into a position to strike early and fast rather than drag our feet. Of course this only works if RM actually does not come back - it does not sound good right now but maybe in Dec he will be in a better place health wise - who knows but taking our time is actually to our advantage. I agree we should still be decent this year - may not top 25 but should make the dance barring key injuries. The squad is experienced enough to hold it together. I do worry about us not being able to fill the two schollies now but somethings just will not work as we had hoped now but all is not lost. I do worry that somehow Biondi has to start letting his experts control their areas with him giving overall direction or else attracting quality people will be a challenge.

I'd rather wait until the Spring and get the guy we really want rather than just hire the best guy that can take it right now.

A couple of names.

Scott Suttong from ORU. I read he turned down good money to leave already but could he be the guy and would Dr. C make it happen?

Rob Jeter UWM- Young maybe still a little early but ...

Larry Eustachy - I wouldn't let an incident 10 years ago dictate my decision

Donnie Jones - Central Florida, maybe early but

Count me in on Jeter.

I find it extremely hard to believe that there is no constructive discussion going on in the halls of Chaifetz Arena. Whether its Harriman getting a better offer, Jensen taking off for Canton, Majerus taking a health leave, or Crews/Whitesell takes over. I am with Kshoe in wishing this were handled as soon as possible but I also think doing so might take some of the steam out of Crews' and team's current sails. The talent pool has to be light right now ... almost every team is prepping for October 15 and looking to ink prospects for fall signing day. Ah, another year of typical Billiken fall signings ... NONE!. So I see us just focused (languishing) on the current year and edition of the team. Not that THAT is such a bad thing given what's already in the stable.

I have to believe they had to rip Rick into the hospital given his passion for basketball and knowing what he had coming back this year. So I'm certian its serious. He goes to the round of 32, followed by a Sweet 16 and then walks/does not have contract renewed and legend cemented. I find myself in a really gray area as far as the rumors of conflicting egos go with Biondi and Majerus. Getting the next great assistant or up-and-coming coach doesn't always work. For every Tom Crean on Tom Izzo's bench, there's a Brian Gregory. Mike Brey and Johnny Dawkins did okay; Quinn Snyder and Tommy Amaker did not.

Make no bones abuot it, here comes another critical junction for the Billiken program but I suspected this would eventually be the case; Rick wasn't gonna go on forever. I think we can begin a national search and do it from a distance while we let Crews and company guide the current boat. I don't like that idea because it will leave us in the lurch for our next coach and his recruits come April but does doing whatever now distract from the prep for the season at hand? I don't know -- six of one, half a dozen of another.

This program is nothing if not cursed. Just once wouldn't it be nice to linger over the flowers of success and breathe in the delightful smell of victory as opposed to having the bouquet whisk by at 90 miles an hour barely giving us a brief wisp?

My choice is lusk at southwest mo st. Young, good recruiter. Coaches kid. Purdue tree. Grew up in the area. Doesnt hurt that he leads the justin diecker race. Then hire tatum as his asst and be in the lead for the next great st louis recruit.

I find it extremely hard to believe that there is no constructive discussion going on in the halls of Chaifetz Arena. Whether its Harriman getting a better offer, Jensen taking off for Canton, Majerus taking a health leave, or Crews/Whitesell takes over. I am with Kshoe in wishing this were handled as soon as possible but I also think doing so might take some of the steam out of Crews' and team's current sails. The talent pool has to be light right now ... almost every team is prepping for October 15 and looking to ink prospects for fall signing day. Ah, another year of typical Billiken fall signings ... NONE!. So I see us just focused (languishing) on the current year and edition of the team. Not that THAT is such a bad thing given what's already in the stable.

I have to believe they had to rip Rick into the hospital given his passion for basketball and knowing what he had coming back this year. So I'm certian its serious. He goes to the round of 32, followed by a Sweet 16 and then walks/does not have contract renewed and legend cemented. I find myself in a really gray area as far as the rumors of conflicting egos go with Biondi and Majerus. Getting the next great assistant or up-and-coming coach doesn't always work. For every Tom Crean on Tom Izzo's bench, there's a Brian Gregory. Mike Brey and Johnny Dawkins did okay; Quinn Snyder and Tommy Amaker did not.

Make no bones abuot it, here comes another critical junction for the Billiken program but I suspected this would eventually be the case; Rick wasn't gonna go on forever. I think we can begin a national search and do it from a distance while we let Crews and company guide the current boat. I don't like that idea because it will leave us in the lurch for our next coach and his recruits come April but does doing whatever now distract from the prep for the season at hand? I don't know -- six of one, half a dozen of another.

This program is nothing if not cursed. Just once wouldn't it be nice to linger over the flowers of success and breathe in the delightful smell of victory as opposed to having the bouquet whisk by at 90 miles an hour barely giving us a brief wisp?

Good post Taj.

On the surface, I'm really disappointed with what appears to be a complete lack of succession planning by the Athletic Department. This development should not have come as a surprise and the failure of SLU to have a viable long term candidate waiting in the wings truly is disappointing.

That being said, May and Biondi have a chance to rectify the situation in short order. I'm pretty sure two things occurred this weekend:

1) assistant coaches from many different schools made it know through back channels (agents, friends of friends, whatever) their interest in taking over as head coach here.

2) quality schools that still have open scholarships contacted Carter and Drew's highschool and AAU coaches, making it known that they have a spot available if they aren't excited about the prospect of playing for Jim Crews.

I'm not sure what can be done about number 2 other than cross our fingers but we can definitely act on number 1 if the administration chooses to do so.

I think Roy is right Lusk could be good. I wonder about Jeff Capel he has high level HC experience but left OU after a bad season and some shadiness.

Drew Diener is out there and he is HC in the area and has had some winning seasons. Maybe as and assistant.

The Murray St. Coach Prohm had a damn good season.

Good post Taj.

On the surface, I'm really disappointed with what appears to be a complete lack of succession planning by the Athletic Department. This development should not have come as a surprise and the failure of SLU to have a viable long term candidate waiting in the wings truly is disappointing.

That being said, May and Biondi have a chance to rectify the situation in short order. I'm pretty sure two things occurred this weekend:

1) assistant coaches from many different schools made it know through back channels (agents, friends of friends, whatever) their interest in taking over as head coach here.

2) quality schools that still have open scholarships contacted Carter and Drew's highschool and AAU coaches, making it known that they have a spot available if they aren't excited about the prospect of playing for Jim Crews.

I'm not sure what can be done about number 2 other than cross our fingers but we can definitely act on number 1 if the administration chooses to do so.

Hadn't thought about #2, but it's a real possibility. Didn't someone mention that registration begins today? If so, I guess we'll know soon if one of 'em doesn't show.

Good post Taj.

-I'm really disappointed with what appears to be a complete lack of succession planning by the Athletic Department -- i believe in their minds they think they have done a good job as Crews has been to the tourney 4 times, i don't know but i think changing their minds is not possible

-I'm really disappointed with what appears to be a complete lack of succession planning by the Athletic Department -- i believe in their minds they think they have done a good job as Crews has been to the tourney 4 times, i don't know but i think changing their minds is not possible

Hopefully they don't think that bringing in a 58 year old that has a roughly .500 career record and doesn't like to recruit in the middle of a two year window where we'll be giving out 8 scholarships is good succession planning.

Hopefully they don't think that bringing in a 58 year old that has a roughly .500 career record and doesn't like to recruit in the middle of a two year window where we'll be giving out 8 scholarships is good succession planning.

You mean that recruiting stuff doesn't just take care of itself?

-i believe that is exactly the problem and i iwll keep believing it until it is said Crews won't be the coach in '13-14

If we give Crews the job, we might as well go back to the Valley. He is a Valley coach. I remember back in the old MCC days, Rammer used to talk about Crews as the next hot coach. Ten years later he was still at Evansville accomplishing nothing other than gathering teams of crew-cutted, slow, shooters wearing pull over sleeved jerseys. I say NOOO!! I beg you NOOO!!

Paul Lusk was highly recruited by SLU as a player and turned us down. If we werent good enough for him to play for us, screw him!! I would rather us hire Chris Lowery.

If we give Crews the job, we might as well go back to the Valley. He is a Valley coach. I remember back in the old MCC days, Rammer used to talk about Crews as the next hot coach. Ten years later he was still at Evansville accomplishing nothing other than gathering teams of crew-cutted, slow, shooters wearing pull over sleeved jerseys. I say NOOO!! I beg you NOOO!!

Paul Lusk was highly recruited by SLU as a player and turned us down. If we werent good enough for him to play for us, screw him!! I would rather us hire Chris Lowery.

I assume you're joking, but I would never, ever attend another basketball game if Chris Lowery was named coach.

I know Jim Crews isn't the rising star assistant we all seem to want, but he is more than capable of coaching this team to March.

KShoe,

I posted some thoughts on this in another thread in the hopes of getting the boards thoughts. Would hiring Crews or Whitsell be a mistake? Not saying yes or no but I think it's worth pointing out that their previous employers have never provided either of them with the opportunity to fully maximize his coaching acumen. If they are truly the X's and O's coaches RM says they are, who are we to say they aren't the right fit to carry on RM's mission as long as they surround themselves with capable recruiters like RM did. I am not championing Crews or Whitsell but rather questioning why I've read so many posts that quickly dismiss them as options.

My concern is how the administration is handling the question(s) about RM and the teams future...uncertainty = no recruits.

They need to have a plan and sell that plan.

Shouldnt this pretty much end the discussion on Jim Crews' long term viablility.....

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason Evansville Purple Aces (Midwestern Collegiate Conference) (1985–1994) 1985–1986 Evansville 8–19 3–9 6th 1986–1987 Evansville 16–12 8–4 T-1st 1987–1988 Evansville 21–8 6–4 2nd NIT 2nd Round 1988–1989 Evansville 25–6 10–2 1st NCAA 2nd Round 1989–1990 Evansville 17–15 8–6 5th 1990–1991 Evansville 14–14 7–7 T-5th 1991–1992 Evansville 24–6 8–2 1st NCAA 1st Round 1992–1993 Evansville 23–7 12–2 T-1st NCAA 1st Round 1993–1994 Evansville 21–11 6–4 T-2nd NIT 1st Round Evansville: 169–98 75–40 Evansville Purple Aces (Missouri Valley Conference) (1994–2002) 1994–1995 Evansville 18–9 11–7 5th 1995–1996 Evansville 13–14 9–9 T-5th 1996–1997 Evansville 17–14 11–7 T-4th 1997–1998 Evansville 15–15 9–9 T-6th 1998–1999 Evansville 23–10 13–5 1st NCAA 1st Round 1999–2000 Evansville 18–12 9–9 6th 2000–2001 Evansville 14–16 9–9 6th 2001–2002 Evansville 7–21 4–14 T-9th Evansville: 294–209 143–109 Army Black Knights (Patriot League) (2002–2009) 2002–2003 Army 5–22 0–14 8th 2003–2004 Army 6–21 3–11 7th 2004–2005 Army 3–24 1–13 8th 2005–2006 Army 5–22 1–13 8th 2006–2007 Army 15–16 4–10 T-6th 2007–2008 Army 14–16 6–8 T-5th 2008–2009 Army 11–19 6–8 4th Army: 59–140 21–77