RickMa and SMU

Bishop

"Would be a home run hire. RT @LakenLitman: Hearing a new name associated with #SMU hoops coaching search in Rick Majerus."

I have absolutely zero reasons as to why he would leave SLU for SMU so everyone needs to take a deep breath before they respond. I don't see how he goes anywhere. But it sounds like they are at least going to make a run at him.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see him leaving but some reasons why would be $$$$, Big East, Facilities, and $$$$

SMU is comparable size to SLU but their facilities are not good. They spent $ on a new practice gym that has a tunnel to the old arena they play in.

A few years ago I ran into Matt Doherty at a Tex MEx place in Dallas and asked him to schedule SLU and call Majerus.

I expect to hear Majerus's name get tossed around quite a bit regarding open college jobs. SLU just had a nice season and Majerus is a well-respected, well-known coach. Just makes sense for sportswriters, pundits and message boarders to speculate and do a little daydreaming when it comes to hiring a new coach.

I expect to hear Majerus's name get tossed around quite a bit regarding open college jobs. SLU just had a nice season and Majerus is a well-respected, well-known coach. Just makes sense for sportswriters, pundits and message boarders to speculate and do a little daydreaming when it comes to hiring a new coach.

I'm always surprised when I hear it. He's a 64 year old with health issues. Why any program would seriously be interested in "starting over" with someone with a limited shelf life is beyond me. Its because of this that I have no fear whatsoever that he will leave for another coaching job.

Retire, sure that could happen at any point but start over at another place. No way.

I'm always surprised when I hear it. He's a 64 year old with health issues. Why any program would seriously be interested in "starting over" with someone with a limited shelf life is beyond me. Its because of this that I have no fear whatsoever that he will leave for another coaching job.

Retire, sure that could happen at any point but start over at another place. No way.

Totally agree. Yet, despite that, I still expect to hear his name bandied about quite a bit regarding other positions. Heck, Larry Brown still gets mentioned as a possibility for high-profile jobs and he is now over 70! Like you, I have no concern that he will move onto another position. But, you'll still get people mentioning his name for job openings.

Totally agree. Yet, despite that, I still expect to hear his name bandied about quite a bit regarding other positions. Heck, Larry Brown still gets mentioned as a possibility for high-profile jobs and he is now over 70! Like you, I have no concern that he will move onto another position. But, you'll still get people mentioning his name for job openings.

Brown doesn't have RM's health issues that I know about. And if RM's complaining about SLU in the A-10 how's he gonna feel about SMU in the Beast? St. Louis to Philly, Amherst, and Orleans is a whole lot shorter than Ft. Worth to Newark, Philly, Providence, San Diego, Boise, etc. Sorry, but for a number of reasons, mostly Dr. C, I don't see him leaving what's got to be a fairly comfortable situation for him in St. Louis. Still, Fr. B better step up to the plate and get him committed so ends his career as HC of the Billikens.

RM was on the radio a couple of weeks ago and said that he had just called all his recruits and told them that he was staying at SLU as long as the school wants him. He also told them that unless he gets hit by a bus - I am paraphrasing - that he would be here next year. I thought it was odd for him to say this but I guess he had heard some negative recruiting comments going on about him leaving and he wanted to set the record straight. So, I am in the camp that this is just a baseless rumor. He still has one year left on his contract not that contracts can not be broken but I seriously think that is something he would not do.

There's also a CBS article that says they've targeted Rick and Buzz Williams from Marquette. Buzz is making a lot of dough at Marquette and has one of the biggest basketball budgets in the land. Seems that SMU is trying to hit out of their league. Maybe some friends of the program will step up with some bags of cash.