RickMa and SMU

Bishop

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just dont see RM leaving, unless RM and Biondi / May got into it the last few weeks.

Why the hell haven't we extended his contract? He was practically begging for an extension this season to the media, yet did anyone from the AD contact him? Nope. And yes, RM did have to pay for part of the Canada trip as well as for the Assistants salary. If I remember correctly, RM wanted to pay his assistants what they were worth and SLU's salary wasn't fair. Not to mention the guy doesn't get his chartered flights often and has to always be fighting for turf with the AD and Biondi.

Now he has an offer from SMU (big money) for $2Million + probably all the charter flights and buffets his little heart can desire with no fighting for turf.

I almost don't blame the guy. Think about if you are working at your current job and you make the company and your boss a ton of money, yet you get zero respect from your boss, no appreciation, and they wont give you a raise... you will probably take your talents elsewhere. This has a lot more to do then with money. I think this is RM wanting respect for what he does.

RM leaves I call for Biondi and May's head.

PS. We build an $81 Million dollar stadium and we ***** out on everything else. jesus!

King Joffrey is right, spiked heads encircling the Clock Tower would be the only resolution should Rick leave.

The players are in place, Rick is just seeking the additional $$ most college programs already have at their disposal. Give him chartered flights, pay him over $1 million. Hell, he has been already been paying out of pocket for assistants/the Canada trip, the money will be recycled back into the program. There is no way he wants to leave after all the stuff he's been through building a winner here, with his "best recruit since AM" coming in.

I wouldn't be worried at all, but this is SLU, a school which thrives on kicking it's students square in the dick. I have no faith in anyone to do anything competent and/or rational

Maybe Rick is tired of everyone telling him "No" or "Maybe next year" when the answer should always be "Sure thing, Rick!"

I think RM wants some respect and commitment to winning from Biondi. I don't think he's going to get either. He deserves a raise, an extension, repayment for his past out of pocket expenses and charter flights. He should also be able fly himself or an assistant overseas to recruit. I think Biondi will look at this as his opportunity to get rid RM and do everything he can to make it happen.

I think RM wants some respect and commitment to winning from Biondi. I don't think he's going to get either. He deserves a raise, an extension, repayment for his past out of pocket expenses and charter flights. He should also be able fly himself or an assistant overseas to recruit. I think Biondi will look at this as his opportunity to get rid RM and do everything he can to make it happen.

And I think if this happens, it will be Biondi's parting gift to SLU. We can say bye bye to Biondi when RM leaves.

If he wears an SMU sweater with a big pony across it on the sidelines, I'm gonna be really po'd. I think SMU has serious Baylor envy. They are Texas' forgotten other private school. So they are willing to toss big $$ to a name coach. RM is not a young gun slinger type coach who's going to bring in 4 or 5 star recruits because he's not willing to do what it takes to get that done. He's not a Calipari or a Pitino who can take SMU to national prominence w/in a year or two. The AD at SMU said they had everything in place for a winning program in the Beast and cited access to the top players in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area. Well, they should check how well RM's done in landing St. L's big time talent. If RM takes it, I see it turning out like Bobby K at TX Tech. Which was not so good in year 3 or 4.

Bernie just talked about it on 101.1. He said SMU is really pushing RM to get down there today. Apparently Buzz Williams and others already turned the job down and are putting a lot of pressure on Rick. Bernie seems to think this will shake out pretty quickly as SMU is putting the full court press on RM and probably want a decision soon.

Bernie also said that he doesn't claim to be RM's best friend but would be surprised if RM didn't give SLU an opporunity. He wouldn't think RM would just leave without talking to SLU and that if he did then RM isn't who he thought he was, but said he really didn't know.

He then went on to say, he has no idea what SLU would do to replace him if he left.

If he wears an SMU sweater with a big pony across it on the sidelines, I'm gonna be really po'd. I think SMU has serious Baylor envy. They are Texas' forgotten other private school. So they are willing to toss big $$ to a name coach. RM is not a young gun slinger type coach who's going to bring in 4 or 5 star recruits because he's not willing to do what it takes to get that done. He's not a Calipari or a Pitino who can take SMU to national prominence w/in a year or two. The AD at SMU said they had everything in place for a winning program in the Beast and cited access to the top players in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area. Well, they should check how well RM's done in landing St. L's big time talent. If RM takes it, I see it turning out like Bobby K at TX Tech. Which was not so good in year 3 or 4.

SMU does not have Baylor envy. They have TCU envy.

TCU has Baylor envy.

All SMU wants to do is dominate DFW. The collegiate landscape has shifted in DFW from Dallas to Fort Worth. TCU put up a billboard on Central Expressway and Mockingbird, literally a driver away from Gerald Ford Stadium in Dallas before football season tickets went on sale last year.

There were more TCU fans in the stands during the last three Iron Skillet games played in Dallas. June Jones is a joke.

TCU has everything that SMU wants and the fact that it's 35 miles down the road kills SMU alums.

TCU has Baylor envy because Baylor torched the old TCU campus in Waco a hundred something years ago.

-would you?

sure, look at the other teams that tried to recruit them... none of them are nearly as flashy or as good as slu. Jared drew has developed a nice relationship with the players, but from what I have heard thats not the case with KC as much. I think regardless JD stays but I dont know about carter..

RM leaves and we can safely say that SLU wasted $81 million dollars on the new stadium. And Chaivez is out his $10 million + he ponied up.

SLU will never be a contender. No respectable coach will ever come to SLU after the circus RM had to deal with from the AD and F Biondi. It must be nice that our AD thinks we have so many options that we can sit on our asses without locking up RM when he was begging for it.

No one will like this but the reality is Majerus' winning percentage since he's been at SLU is .569. We've been to one meaningful post season tournament. Im a fan of his but Im not Chicken Little. If he goes, he goes and I dont believe the program will regress.

Majerus left Marquette for the NBA not because he liked the NBA (he flat out said he didn't), but because they wouldn't make the full commitment to the basketball team. He wanted increased academic help and higher pay for his assistants, they wouldn't budge. Majerus paid for his assistants to to take recruiting trips and he was donezo with that low-level crap.

10 years later, Majerus gets a big-time money offer from a BCS team to leave Utah. He then has a meeting with the Utah A.D. He tells the Utah A.D. he is happy at Utah, and doesn't care about the money, but he wants a bigger commitment in regards to the other aspects related to running the team.

Majerus has said, on multiple occasions, that money doesn't mean ###### to him. He's rich as hell, single, and old. He doesn't want the money for himself, he wants an overall bigger commitment to the basketball program. If SMU is willing to do that, and SLU isn't after the year the team had, then I can see Majerus leaving.

However, if he does leave, then he is also a blatant liar after going on the record multiple times in the past 2 weeks to say he wasn't leaving.

RM leaves and we can safely say that SLU wasted $81 million dollars on the new stadium. And Chaivez is out his $10 million + he ponied up.

SLU will never be a contender. No respectable coach will ever come to SLU after the circus RM had to deal with from the AD and F Biondi. It must be nice that our AD thinks we have so many options that we can sit on our asses without locking up RM when he was begging for it.

And....some posters have officially gone over the ledge.

When asked if he was considering firing Jim Tressel after the initial allegations of wrongdoing, OSU President Gordon Gee responded with, "Me fire him? I hope he doesn't fire me." Such is the state of college sports today. If Fr. B doesn't make a serious move to retain RM, then we know he still doesn't get it.

My gut and heart still says that Rick stays. At his age, I don't think he leaves. NCAA team for another rebuilding job.

Still, this is SLU, and if there's one thing I've learned about this university when it comes to sports, it's that they have an impressive ability to screw up something that in theory would seem very simple.

I think this is just a way for Rick to get a greater commitment to the program from SLU. I can't believe that he had to pony up his own money to hire Crews, or to pay for the Canada trip.

If , God forbid, he does go to SMU, I might have to drive up to midtown from Carbondale to personally give anyone responsible a piece of my mind.

And....some posters have officially gone over the ledge.

You build an $80+ million dollar stadium, get a HOF coach for a 'measly' $750K + room, and all this HOF coach is asking for is that the school commits to this program. Biondi doesn't want to hear any of it.

Please, tell me what coach will come to SLU for the same salary with out of pocket expenses the coach will have to pay for, no charter flights, a President that doesn't give 2 shits about the program, and to a mediocre program in a less then mediocre basketball city that RAN OUT their HOF coach?

Come on... if you believe this isn't do or die for the program, you are lying to yourself.