On the bubble ... says Jerry Palm

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So who is Jerry "K-Y Loaded" Palm and what's he been up to? Seriosuly, is this the St. Louis wannabee to Joe Lunardi. i don't know who he is or why he matters. Enlightenment?

So who is Jerry "K-Y Loaded" Palm and what's he been up to? Seriosuly, is this the St. Louis wannabee to Joe Lunardi. i don't know who he is or why he matters. Enlightenment?

Cbssports.com resident "bracketologist." From what I've gathered, he likes SLU the least out of all those columnist types.

Lunardi and Andy Glockner both have SLU rated higher.

Jerry Palm just said on 101.1 that we are on the bubble and the best we could hope for would be an 8-9 seed

Just looked at his bracket over at CBSSports. He has SLU as a #10 seed right now. He also currently has X in as a #12 seed. One weird one is he has Washington in as a #13 seed. Not sure how he figures that. If Washington gets in as an at-large bid, they definitely won't be seeded there. Also, no way is the Pac-12 tourney winner going to be a #13 seed unless it is a team like Oregon St. or UCLA. Currently, Washington has an RPI of 50 and and a 14-3 conference record. Not sure what he is looking at.

-i have to say, well feel like saying, that it would make me feel a whole lot more at ease if we win tomorrow, i don't want too many reasons why the committee feels they can keep us out and losing at rhodey was 1, let's not give them a 2

-to palm, first i thought he was a football guy, my bad, but second the bubble must be huge if he says we are on it and yet has us as a 10 in his bracket

This dipsh1t was on McKernan yesterday saying Illinois still had a chance to play their way in...he worships the power conferences and values top 25 wins above all else.

Basically you are as good as the best teams you've beaten, and since SLU's best wins are against X and Washington (bubble teams) SLU is on the bubble.

Just ignore him

This dipsh1t was on McKernan yesterday saying Illinois still had a chance to play their way in...he worships the power conferences and values top 25 wins above all else.

Basically you are as good as the best teams you've beaten, and since SLU's best wins are against X and Washington (bubble teams) SLU is on the bubble.

Just ignore him

The good thing for the A10 then is Temple gets a 1 seed.

His bracketology on cbssports.com doesn't make sense sometimes, but I think he's correct on this, we are not a lock for an at-large unless we get to the tournament finals. We have no really big wins and the overall SOS is weak. Beating Duquesne on the road won't change this. We could easily go into Selection Sunday with zero wins over NCAA tournament teams. Because of the URI loss, I agree with him that our ceiling is an 8-9 seed. We could get "screwed" and get an 11 or 12. Lose to Duquesne and lose again early in the conference tourney and it's not out of the question we could be back playing at Chaifetz on ESPN soon.

Jerry Palm was the first person to create a publically maintained RPI site. He also fancied himself as a bracketologist and had some early success. He parlayed that into a gig at CBS Sports. He has not been been as terribly accurate (although not terrible either) for a while (did OK in 2009). This is true of Lunardi as well. There are consistently better bracket people (one's that actually use more than a "thinking "face"; it is possible they may have more sourced information late in the game but even with that they do not fare that well) .

SLU is not an 100% lock as an atlarge. The number would be around 90% actually. That number was 99% before the Rhode Island loss though.

His bracketology on cbssports.com doesn't make sense sometimes, but I think he's correct on this, we are not a lock for an at-large unless we get to the tournament finals. We have no really big wins and the overall SOS is weak. Beating Duquesne on the road won't change this. We could easily go into Selection Sunday with zero wins over NCAA tournament teams. Because of the URI loss, I agree with him that our ceiling is an 8-9 seed. We could get "screwed" and get an 11 or 12. Lose to Duquesne and lose again early in the conference tourney and it's not out of the question we could be back playing at Chaifetz on ESPN soon.

Are you new to following our team this year? No big wins and overall SOS is weak?? Really??

Are you new to following our team this year? No big wins and overall SOS is weak?? Really??

Our best wins are Washington, St Joes on the road, Xavier on the road, and Xavier at home. That's should be enough to get in the Dance but not really anything to brag about. If we could have pulled out a game against either New Mexico or Temple, that would have been huge.

The SOS on live-rpi.com right now is 101. Our non-conference SOS is 191. That is pretty weak for a team that wants to be in the Dance. We have games on our schedule against sub-200 teams like SIU, BC, Portland, Alabama St, Arkansas St, Texas Southern, Fordham, and Rhode Island. We didn't even beat all those teams either.

Just ignore him

You would think the "mid majors" tourney success the last few years would of helped to erase some of these misconceptions about "power conferences" vs "mid majors" but I guess not.

Its a-holes like this that want to see all non football schools matched up in the first week so they knock each other out.

Maybe Im wrong but in my experince people want to see the David vs Goliath matchups. They dont want to see David vs David. These matchup are what make the tourney so awesome.

If it was up to guys like Jerry Palm the NCAA tournament would be made up of 10 teams every year

Kansas

Kentucky

UCLA

Duke

UNC

Indiana

Ohio State

Flordia

MSU

and a school from either California, Texas, or NY

All he is intrested in is the name on the front of the jersey and has no desire to see the best possible basketball.

This is my point that I have been trying to make in other posts - this is the first salvo shot to start the idea that a SLU is not more worthy then a BCS team that finishes 500 in their conf. We must win Sat or more of this stuff will start surfacing - mark my word.

What will really kill us is our weak non-conference schedule. ESPN Insider has it at 207. Also, our 0-2 record vs the Top 50 hurts.

Despite all that, I think we are a virtual lock. The all important "last 12" has us at 10-2 and the committee loves that. The only scenario I can envision where we don't get in is if we lose our final regular season game, lose in the first round of the tournament, AND a team other than Temple or Xavier wins.

What will really kill us is our weak non-conference schedule. ESPN Insider has it at 207. Also, our 0-2 record vs the Top 50 hurts.

Despite all that, I think we are a virtual lock. The all important "last 12" has us at 10-2 and the committee loves that. The only scenario I can envision where we don't get in is if we lose our final regular season game, lose in the first round of the tournament, AND a team other than Temple or Xavier wins.

And for what it's worth, we have the 4th highest "Defensive quotient" in D1. There isn't a good description of what that is but it can't be a bad a thing.

notice that is in the st louis region....

I've come to the conclusion that Lundardi doesn't really give much thought to tournament sites and regional restrictions instead focusing on who's in and who's out and proper seeding. He's had SLU in just about every region and playing at just about every site.