Announcer Portland game

GOSLU68

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss the old announcer - Erwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Claaaaaaaaaaaaaageeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt.

How long has Guy been anouncing? I am too young to remember when he started, but I remember him doing an annoying ssssssssssssss thing when a guy named Simmons played for us and that was not too long after the Clags days.

How long has Guy been anouncing? I am too young to remember when he started, but I remember him doing an annoying ssssssssssssss thing when a guy named Simmons played for us and that was not too long after the Clags days.

pretty sure guy came first year we were at the scottrade building. 1993? would have been claggett highmark junior year right?

mike owens, who was the previous PA guy was the "Erwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Claaaaaaaaaaaaaageeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt" guy. Mike still at the billiken games doing the stats for the billikens in front of the shoes row.

Want to know how to be a PA announcer? Listen to John Ulett (sp?) at a Cardinal game. You don't necessarily notice a good PA announcer. With Guy the grating of the smarminess, smugness, and incompetance is hard to ignore

Rich is so incensed by Guy's continued employment he had to put this statement in BOLD! ;)

The "toughness" of the job does not justify being bad at it. You either do the job right or you don't do it at all. He get's players names wrong, he gets stats wrong, he makes fun of kids. I'm not arguing that speaking in front of 7k people is "easy"....but if you are going to get paid to do a job, one should be held accountable to doing that job at the highest level.

He wasn't "soft" as in not tough. He was soft as in you couldn't frickin hear him.

I'm no fan of Guy but whoever does the job needs to bring much more energy than there was Saturday night.

Whatever happened to the "POINT SLU!" guy? He was good.

He wasn't "soft" as in not tough. He was soft as in you couldn't frickin hear him.

I'm no fan of Guy but whoever does the job needs to bring much more energy than there was Saturday night.

Whatever happened to the "POINT SLU!" guy? He was good.

He does volleyball and women's basketball

Hey Billiken fans, that was me last Saturday filling in for Guy Phillips. Read through this thread and love the criticism as well as the compliments. I am anal about doing this job right, doing it flawlessly. I get pronunciations from both teams, go over them, and even pronunciations of the hometowns of the starters if they are difficult! I do whatever necessary to get pronunciations right.

I have been doing Public Address work for the last 5 years in baseball, basketball, football. I just completed my 2nd season as the PA Announcer for Mizzou Football. So I am not without real experience. But I am also not beyond criticism. It's the only way you can improve, get better. So thank you all for that.

My wife laughed as we read through this thread, and saw the comment about my volume, "that's the only time I have heard anyone say you were too soft, volume-wise!". Real funny wife. Real funny!!! This was my first time at Chaifetz, first time with that microphone and sound system. Probably the "hottest" microphone I have ever worked with. Took some getting used to. Actually were working with it throughout the game and I think we figured it out. So if I get another opportunity to fill in for Guy, I'll know what needs to be done so I can be heard.

Have also noted the energy level comment and filed it away. Thank you! I know when working in front of crowds of 70,000, 10,000, 200, or whatever the size, it's impossible that ONE announcer can please everyone in the house. Doing live PA is harder than it appears, but I love it and am comfortable doing it. I'll do my best for you all if I get another opportunity! I had a great time, and hope to be announcing for you again sometime in the future, should Guy have another conflict. Thanks again!

Hey Billiken fans, that was me last Saturday filling in for Guy Phillips. Read through this thread and love the criticism as well as the compliments. I am anal about doing this job right, doing it flawlessly. I get pronunciations from both teams, go over them, and even pronunciations of the hometowns of the starters if they are difficult! I do whatever necessary to get pronunciations right.

I have been doing Public Address work for the last 5 years in baseball, basketball, football. I just completed my 2nd season as the PA Announcer for Mizzou Football. So I am not without real experience. But I am also not beyond criticism. It's the only way you can improve, get better. So thank you all for that.

My wife laughed as we read through this thread, and saw the comment about my volume, "that's the only time I have heard anyone say you were too soft, volume-wise!". Real funny wife. Real funny!!! This was my first time at Chaifetz, first time with that microphone and sound system. Probably the "hottest" microphone I have ever worked with. Took some getting used to. Actually were working with it throughout the game and I think we figured it out. So if I get another opportunity to fill in for Guy, I'll know what needs to be done so I can be heard.

Have also noted the energy level comment and filed it away. Thank you! I know when working in front of crowds of 70,000, 10,000, 200, or whatever the size, it's impossible that ONE announcer can please everyone in the house. Doing live PA is harder than it appears, but I love it and am comfortable doing it. I'll do my best for you all if I get another opportunity! I had a great time, and hope to be announcing for you again sometime in the future, should Guy have another conflict. Thanks again!

Wow! Now that's pretty classy, assuming this isn't a Metz announcer-impersonation. Can anyone ever even imagine Guy Phillips showing up on this board and/or accepting criticism?

And I'm not sure who you might be, TVACH13, but there are at least two of us on this board who are former Billiken arena announcers, and at least one of us who has worked on-air with John Ulett.

-cudos for the effort and coming on here, perhaps we will hear you again someday

I miss the old announcer - Erwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin Claaaaaaaaaaaaaageeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt.

That guy was awesome. Was he full time back then or just a fill in?

This was my first time at Chaifetz, first time with that microphone and sound system. Probably the "hottest" microphone I have ever worked with. Took some getting used to. Actually were working with it throughout the game and I think we figured it out. So if I get another opportunity to fill in for Guy, I'll know what needs to be done so I can be heard.

This was my first time with a Chaifetz game floor feed. The play by play was fine, but I share your concern with the microphone setup. I usually route audio through my sound system, but had to turn it off. Was the band too closely miked? The distortion was just awful.

Owens has filled in occasionally for Guy over the years. It is always a treat to hear him announce the games.

Yeah I thought he was still doing guest appearances every now and then. I thought he was great. Nothing flashy about him, but he has a booming voice. I distinctly remember the ERWIIIIIN CLAAAAGEEET that Box pointed out. I especially loved when you could barely hear him over the roar of the crowd at the Arena.

Hahahaha. I'll see what we can do. But in all seriousness, Guy does a great job. Being a LIVE sports announcer is not an easy job. Of course mistakes are going to be made. We all make them... He just does them in front of a crowd of 7,000+ people.

+1

I liked how Mike Owens often gave a shout out to the assist as well as the score. "Monroe Douglas!...from Roland Grey!" Guy never does that.

Baby steps. Guy doesn't always get names, numbers, timeouts, or foul calls correct. He has shown no fundamental grasp of basketball as a sport. Do we really want him to try announcing assists? That's just asking for 25 corrections a night.

Baby steps. Guy doesn't always get names, numbers, timeouts, or foul calls correct. He has shown no fundamental grasp of basketball as a sport. Do we really want him to try announcing assists? That's just asking for 25 corrections a night.

Assists can be tricky. Only an announcer who really knows basketball and all its rules are capable of calling an assist.

Is Guy up for that?