Announcer Portland game

GOSLU68

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That couldn't have been Guy Phillips there were no corrections or one minute announcements.

Anyone know are we finally done with GP?

There was a post on here somewhere in which someone posted a tweet from Guy Phillips's one-game replacement. So the answer to your question is, "No," and your observation is correct.

That couldn't have been Guy Phillips there were no corrections or one minute announcements.

Anyone know are we finally done with GP?

No. He had a prior engagement, couldn't get out of it. He'll be back Wednesday. That was the MIZZOU announcer on Saturday night.

He needs more prior engagements he can't get out of.

Hahahaha. I'll see what we can do. But in all seriousness, Guy does a great job. Being a LIVE sports announcer is not an easy job. Of course mistakes are going to be made. We all make them... He just does them in front of a crowd of 7,000+ people.

Hahahaha. I'll see what we can do. But in all seriousness, Guy does a great job. Being a LIVE sports announcer is not an easy job. Of course mistakes are going to be made. We all make them... He just does them in front of a crowd of 7,000+ people.

FALSE. Either he sucks or his spotter sucks. If he doesn't have a spotter than it's obvious he needs one.

guy phillips does not do a "Great job". he is horrible and always has been.

1. he has exhibited his lack of basketball knowledge constantly over the years. many times gets caught with the deer in the headlights look.

2. he has shown he does not do his homework. too often mispronouncing names.

3. in an effort to be cute or funny, he steps on players and fans all too often.

guy needed to go about 18 years ago and it amazes me he continues in the job.

that all said, i was not impressed with the announcer Saturday. way too soft. often couldnt hear him and was late with the player's into the game a few times which interferes with the game.

keep looking.

guy phillips does not do a "Great job". he is horrible and always has been.

1. he has exhibited his lack of basketball knowledge constantly over the years. many times gets caught with the deer in the headlights look.

2. he has shown he does not do his homework. too often mispronouncing names.

3. in an effort to be cute or funny, he steps on players and fans all too often.

guy needed to go about 18 years ago and it amazes me he continues in the job.

that all said, i was not impressed with the announcer Saturday. way too soft. often couldnt hear him and was late with the player's into the game a few times which interferes with the game.

keep looking.

I agree he was soft. And that was due to the fear of saying something wrong, or mispronouncing names. Like I said, it's a tough job.

He has a spotter. What are you saying is false? That being a sports announcer is a hard job? Or that Guy does a good job?

I'm sure being the announcer isn't an easy job but c'mon Guy is a horses a$$. From making fun of kids playing at half-tme to his bush league attempts to pump the crowd to his missing substitutions and constantly getting them wrong anyway Guy is a not quite disgrace but pretty close. I would so much rather have a straight up PA guy to a "personality" that I'm sure I can't make it plain enough without vomiting on your shoes.

Thanks,

Rich

He has a spotter. What are you saying is false? That being a sports announcer is a hard job? Or that Guy does a good job?

I am pretty sure he is disagreeing with your statement that Guy is doing a great job. I have to agree with 05. Just because it is hard work to be a live announcer, it doesn't mean that you should state he is doing a great job just for showing up. He has been doing it for a long time and has consistently shown a disinterest in improving or even really learning the game of basketball. For those of us who have been going to games for a while now, he has become kind of a joke.

I agree he was soft. And that was due to the fear of saying something wrong, or mispronouncing names. Like I said, it's a tough job.

The "toughness" of the job does not justify being bad at it. You either do the job right or you don't do it at all. He get's players names wrong, he gets stats wrong, he makes fun of kids. I'm not arguing that speaking in front of 7k people is "easy"....but if you are going to get paid to do a job, one should be held accountable to doing that job at the highest level.

as many media presonalities that we have in st louis, many of them with sports connections, someone can put an honest effort into being our PA announcer. Guy has been stealing pay for far too long.

No Mrs. Phillips, your husband does not do a great job. He is terrible. It does not take much effort for most PA guys to learn the names of players from the visiting team, but Guy takes multiple games to learn the names of the SLU players. Pathetic.