b.hayes

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@tomtimm

Tom Timmermann

SLU asst coach Alex Jensen is leaving to become coach of Canton team in NBA D League. (Which apparently will play this year.)

Beat me to it. This cant be good for recruiting and having to replace an assistant at this point in time. Not a good situation.

Beat me to it. This cant be good for recruiting and having to replace an assistant at this point in time. Not a good situation.

What?! What the hell is going up there in STL? An assistant leaving a few days before the first practice. Wasn't he promoted to top assistant coach or something? All indications were that he was an up and coming coach. I don't want to be quick to place blame but does anybody know why he is leaving for a dead end D-League job?

Wow, what happened here? Can't figure out why he'd want to take a HC job in the NBA D league. That's not really a road to anywhere, is it? Rumors, facts, speculation on why this happened, local guys.

Wow, what happened here? Can't figure out why he'd want to take a HC job in the NBA D league. That's not really a road to anywhere, is it? Rumors, facts, speculation on why this happened, local guys.

It's a head coaching job. He needs that on his resume. This hurts.

This sucks. Anybody know what a D league coach makes? Is this a financial issue where SLU wouldn't step up the funding?

Recruiting is going to be very hard for the important 2013 class unless we bring in some hot-shot recruiter from a smaller school very soon

Starting to look more and more like RM will coach the team the next two years, two years I expect to make the dance, but will then retire and we'll be stuck in a rebuilding mode with no talent in the pipelines.

What?! What the hell is going up there in STL? An assistant leaving a few days before the first practice. Wasn't he promoted to top assistant coach or something? All indications were that he was an up and coming coach. I don't want to be quick to place blame but does anybody know why he is leaving for a dead end D-League job?

There must be more to this story. Any friction with him and the new assistant coach? strange.

i doubt this is a pay raise. the d league is all done on the cheap. players typcially paid less than $30k.

i agree there must be more to the story. my guess is after his first real journey into the world of college recruiting, mr jensen said, "no thanks".

My brother, who was a SLU grad and knows more about hoops than I, always said, "I don't get excited about the assistants." This was his reaction when Romar hired Brad off of his head coaching stint at Wisconsin. I was pretty jubilant at the time to get a former head coach as an assistant.

In any case, turnover at the assisant position is the norm and everyone needs the lighten the hell up. Porter and Jensen left for head coaching positions after working under Rick. Isn't that what we should expect? Did everyone wring their hands when hotshot recruiting god Quinn Snyder left Duke? Ahhhh no. I know SLU isn't Duke but it's the head coach that makes the program at every level.

My brother, who was a SLU grad and knows more about hoops than I, always said, "I don't get excited about the assistants." This was his reaction when Romar hired Brad off of his head coaching stint at Wisconsin. I was pretty jubilant at the time to get a former head coach as an assistant.

In any case, turnover at the assisant position is the norm and everyone needs the lighten the hell up. Porter and Jensen left for head coaching positions after working under Rick. Isn't that what we should expect? Did everyone wring their hands when hotshot recruiting god Quinn Snyder left Duke? Ahhhh no. I know SLU isn't Duke but it's the head coach that makes the program at every level.

I understand where you are coming from, and normally I would feel the same way. However, it appeared, at least on the surface, that Jensen was being groomed to take over for Majerus once Majerus was done. Considering Majerus's age, it was comforting to have a younger guy sitting in the wings, learning from him. Whitesell is an experienced head coach, but he hasn't had much D-1 success and is already in his fifties. I think it is only natural to be at least a little concerned with this news.

I understand where you are coming from, and normally I would feel the same way. However, it appeared, at least on the surface, that Jensen was being groomed to take over for Majerus once Majerus was done. Considering Majerus's age, it was comforting to have a younger guy sitting in the wings, learning from him. Whitesell is an experienced head coach, but he hasn't had much D-1 success and is already in his fifties. I think it is only natural to be at least a little concerned with this news.

Concerned yes apocalyptic no.

I hope Whitesell is up to recruiting and also not necessarily the future of the program. I also don't think anyone would've been happy with Jensen taking over for Rick next year or the year after with no head coaching experience. Nobody was excited about Porter taking over either....until after he left. Slu will need some tangible success before we can build and hire from within like Xaiver and Gonzaga and the like.

I don't think Rick will have trouble replacing Jensen. Maybe Cameron Dollar would like to be associate head coach. Who knows. I think the hand-wringing time would be better spent worrying about our record through the early part of our schedule, than who might be recruiting Jimmer Fungo in a highschool gym in Flippin Arkansas this fall.

Maybe Cameron Dollar would like to be associate head coach.

Considering he's entering his third glorious season at the helm of the University of Seattle, I highly doubt that. Or maybe we could get him in a packaged deal when Biondi retires/kicks the bucket and we need a new Jesuit leader.

Plus, they are heading to the WAC. Big downgrade for Tha Dollar.

Posted Image

Photo courtesy of some guy I know from a blog.

Leaving days before the first practice is extremely bush. Jensen had several off season months to find a new position, he was just promoted after flirting with Utah. I talked with Jensen on more than one occasion, great guy, but i can't accept this. Unless there is some exigent circumstance causing him to leave at this point he has to work out the season.

The timing seems strange, but I don't think this is the end of the world. Now Porter Moser, THAT was the end of the world :o

Maybe this is an opportunity for Tony Young to step up or maybe there is somebody else out there who can open up a new recruiting pipeline for 2013 and beyond. The roster is currently in very good shape for the near future. Reportedly we have two prospects visiting soon, so if one of them commits, the 13th and final scholarship will be filled for next season. Then almost all of our recruiting attention can focus on 2013. IMO the most important factor in signing quality recruits in 2013 is how we do on the court THIS year. Earning a trip to the 2012 Big Dance will be more important in opening up doors than who is hired to replace Jensen.

Could it be that AJ was unhappy with the Whitesell hire which he saw as another obstacle in the road for him to overcome? Something just isn't right with this happening right before the season gets under way. His replacement needs to be an experienced recruiter. No more On The Job Training.

Concerned yes apocalyptic no.

I hope Whitesell is up to recruiting and also not necessarily the future of the program. I also don't think anyone would've been happy with Jensen taking over for Rick next year or the year after with no head coaching experience. Nobody was excited about Porter taking over either....until after he left. Slu will need some tangible success before we can build and hire from within like Xaiver and Gonzaga and the like.

I don't think Rick will have trouble replacing Jensen. Maybe Cameron Dollar would like to be associate head coach. Who knows. I think the hand-wringing time would be better spent worrying about our record through the early part of our schedule, than who might be recruiting Jimmer Fungo in a highschool gym in Flippin Arkansas this fall.

+1000