SPRING VISITS

AGB91

I'm pretty sure you've made that joke before. It's less funny this time. Have you seen Christian Thomas play? Has Majerus seen Christian Thomas play? I know Porter has and I don't think he was wowed.

This would be equivalent to Anthony Mitchell in my mind.

I read on this board earlier this year or late last year that the SLU coaches watched Thomas play and went away unimpressed, deciding not to offer a scholarship.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why Barnett is the most important transfer to this program since H Waldman.

Reggie Bryant did lead us in scoring for the two years he played after transferring from Villanova, he was kind of important. One of his teams won a game in the NIT

Reggie Bryant did lead us in scoring for the two years he played after transferring from Villanova, he was kind of important. One of his teams won a game in the NIT

Kind of important is different from filling a role that is desperately needed on a team that is close. If we just win a NIT game next year the season is a major let down.

This should be a big dance team. Barnett has a chance to be a player that takes the team from being a NIT team to a NCAA team just like H did.

Big dance team?

First, we need an INSIDE big to replace WR.

A shot blocking, intimidating, rebounding BIG with some muscle and / or length and / or superior jumping ability. 6'9", 230 pound type kid. INSIDE presence. He doesn't have to be as good of a scorer as WR was... just have INSIDE game.

Otherwise, we are back to '09-'10 at best... 4th - 5th in the A-10, NIT bound probably if we get 20-22 total wins.

We need an INSIDE big to replace WR.

A shot blocking, intimidating, rebounding BIG with some muscle and / or length and/ or superior jumping ability. 6'9", 245 pound type kid. INSIDE presence. Doesn't have to be as good of a scorer as WR was... just have INSIDE game.

Otherwise, we are back to '09-'10 at best... 4th-5th in the A-10, NIT bound if we get 20 total.

The type of player you just described is either A) not available in the spring period or B even if there is one out there they probably aren't coming to SLU

Big dance team?

First, we need an INSIDE big to replace WR.

A shot blocking, intimidating, rebounding BIG with some muscle and / or length and / or superior jumping ability. 6'9", 230 pound type kid. INSIDE presence. He doesn't have to be as good of a scorer as WR was... just have INSIDE game.

Otherwise, we are back to '09-'10 at best... 4th - 5th in the A-10, NIT bound probably if we get 20-22 total wins.

Creating excuses for next year already? When exactly in your opinion should we expect better results from rickma than every other coach that SLU has had in the past three decades? You do realize every other coach in the last 30 years has at least made the NIT?

Creating excuses for next year already? When exactly in your opinion should we expect better results from rickma than every other coach that SLU has had in the past three decades? You do realize every other coach in the last 30 years has at least made the NIT?

I was just saying we need a big INSIDE defender-intimidator-rebounder type to make the NCAA's; not trying to start up again with your nonsense.

Thomas was an extremely good HS player. Against top flight competition he was usually out manned. He's about 6'4 some perimeter skills but he's mainly a power forward in a guards body. We've been considering him as a walk on for some time. Nate wrote a story on him last year. At this point he is a low major recruit. If he improves his game in a few areas he could be a contributor but giving him a scholarship would be Soderberg like.

Roy Carson Sonnenberg is an upgrade to Brian Conklin?!?!?!?!? You have the become the Eastside equivalent to VTime. C'mon. His grandfather was Ray Sonnenberg played from 50-53, a couple very good Billiken squads. 51 team won the Valley, played in the NCAAs and the NIT.

The type of player you just described is either A) not available in the spring period or B even if there is one out there they probably aren't coming to SLU

Harrleson was there in the Spring - so who is to say there is not one. I do agree the problem is can we get them?

Harrleson was there in the Spring - so who is to say there is not one. I do agree the problem is can we get them?

At this stage, I'm not figuring there are any capable bigs out there that could replace WR. Our best shot for improving our interior game would be to develop CE and RL into effective interior players during the offseason.

At this stage, I'm not figuring there are any capable bigs out there that could replace WR. Our best shot for improving our interior game would be to develop CE and RL into effective interior players during the offseason.

It is definitely time for the CE as a three experiment to end.

Dwayne Evans fits the role of the athletic small forward that we have lacked for so many years perfectly. In fact, most of our success this season cam after we switched to a lineup that featured Dwayne as the small forward. Now that we finally have that athletic, defensively-solid 3 who can rebound and slash, why do so many posters want to convert him into a power forward?

Dwayne Evans fits the role of the athletic small forward that we have lacked for so many years perfectly. In fact, most of our success this season cam after we switched to a lineup that featured Dwayne as the small forward. Now that we finally have that athletic, defensively-solid 3 who can rebound and slash, why do so many posters want to convert him into a power forward?

Out of necessity.

Sure. I want some replacement for WR as well. Not sure there is one available. Josh Harrelson was mentioned but even he would not have helped as much that first year.

For two years now, we have lacked any real outside shooting threat. This year, if we play KM at pg, MM/JJ at the 2, and JB at the 3, we will finally have 3 guards who can not only score but stretch the defenses. This alone will help our inside men playing the 4 and 5. Also, I am NOT saying that DE should not/never play the 3. Instead, I am saying we do have options at the 4 and 5.

Last year, our pg (MM/JJ/KC) was not really looking to score but to run the offense w/o mistakes. Our shooting guards (CS, KC, JJ and MM) really didn't shoot it that great, did not stretch the defenses and did not dribble-penetrate like KM had done the year prior. Allof this put more pressure on our bigs (CR who had barely played many minutes for us, CE who is not an inside banger and who got hurt (and who looked like he had shoulder problems for most of the year), BC who improved, posted up great but couldn't finish the shot and then our true freshmen of RL and DE. Next year will defintely be better than this year and RM still has 2 scholarships left.

I think there can be a serviceable big out there - the key here is serviceable. I agree we are not going to get another WR at this time but while it would have been nice to have him it is not absolutely necessary for us to be good - all we need is a guy who can rebound, clog the paint some, and cause the opposition to think twice about going inside. A big scorer is not required. CE will not be someone you should even consider developing into a power forward. If you do his time here would have been wasted. He is guy who has to prowl outside and look for open shots plus be adequate enough to defend a forward outside or inside. RL, now that is a different story. He should be developed to play inside but also allowed to roam outside and bring their center with him.

Looks like the Crossland kid likes TCU.

I think there can be a serviceable big out there - the key here is serviceable. I agree we are not going to get another WR at this time but while it would have been nice to have him it is not absolutely necessary for us to be good - all we need is a guy who can rebound, clog the paint some, and cause the opposition to think twice about going inside. A big scorer is not required. CE will not be someone you should even consider developing into a power forward. If you do his time here would have been wasted. He is guy who has to prowl outside and look for open shots plus be adequate enough to defend a forward outside or inside. RL, now that is a different story. He should be developed to play inside but also allowed to roam outside and bring their center with him.

Totally agree. Have not seen Manning play but would think he could do this job come January.

+1

DE should be used as we did in the second half - one has to believe he will only be better next year. CE is not a banger and we have stop trying to make him into one. He is a face the basket forward who needs to only be able to play decent defense against another forward - period. Asking him to be something else is not going to be good for him or us.

Thomas was an extremely good HS player. Against top flight competition he was usually out manned. He's about 6'4 some perimeter skills but he's mainly a power forward in a guards body. We've been considering him as a walk on for some time. Nate wrote a story on him last year. At this point he is a low major recruit. If he improves his game in a few areas he could be a contributor but giving him a scholarship would be Soderberg like.

Roy Carson Sonnenberg is an upgrade to Brian Conklin?!?!?!?!? You have the become the Eastside equivalent to VTime. C'mon. His grandfather was Ray Sonnenberg played from 50-53, a couple very good Billiken squads. 51 team won the Valley, played in the NCAAs and the NIT.

torch, no where do you see where i said i want carson sonnenberg as a scholarshipped billiken. my statement wasnt an endorsement of sonnenberg as a statement on my lack of confidence of conklin.

while i admit conklin improved the second half of the season, he still misses far too many bunnies, very mediocre free throw shooter, and commits stupid fouls. let's just say imo, brian conklin, while a nice guy, a hard worker, and a good student, isnt luke meyer or chris sloan. i shudder to think that we expect to make the ncaa tourney with brian as our top inside player. right now he is our top inside player.

torch, no where do you see where i said i want carson sonnenberg as a scholarshipped billiken. my statement wasnt an endorsement of sonnenberg as a statement on my lack of confidence of conklin.

while i admit conklin improved the second half of the season, he still misses far too many bunnies, very mediocre free throw shooter, and commits stupid fouls. let's just say imo, brian conklin, while a nice guy, a hard worker, and a good student, isnt luke meyer or chris sloan. i shudder to think that we expect to make the ncaa tourney with brian as our top inside player. right now he is our top inside player.

If we can get the Conklin that played against X (at X) more often then not, then we will be in good shape.

And it's quite a statement to say that a walkon would be an upgrade over a starting (or at least getting decent minutes) senior.

+10000. Anyone who can rebound at SLU is automatically converted to a 4. We'd rather have an undersized 4 than a very good 3, because of course we can all name a few 6'5" 4's so why not.

That's crazy. Compare the junior seasons of all three. Conklin was better than Sloan and very similar to Meyer. If Conklin were local, especially from Southern Illinois (or recruited by Sodie), you would be singing his praises. Why is it that you sing the praises of Cassity even going so far as to say he has NBA potential, yet take digs at Brian. Conklin had very little help inside last year, yet performed admirably. He was second on our team in scoring and rebounding. He got better as the season wore on, while Cassity got worse. Even though he played 10 mpg fewer than Caissity, Conklin had a slightly higher scoring average.