SLU commitment

SLURadioBoy

Regarding Biedscheld coming to SLU, sorry we are out of scholarships for next year and I don't think we will be able to convince him to walk on!

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. A phrase that some of our previous coaches should have followed a little more closely.

I like the idea of having a big man in every class. It is harder to find legitimate big men. You can find good guards later or load up on them quickly, but it is harder with centers. WR, CR, RL, and now Manning, I think that is a very good thing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of having a big man in every class.

I very much agree with this. Big men take a while to develop, let a freshman and sophomore wait in the wings and the junior and senior play. And just create a bit of a cycle (obviously accounting for how well they play).

Gonna be a young one like Cory. 17 when he graduates. Could be a 7-footer by the time he sees the floor in Billiken PANTONE® 287 Blue, who knows.

No. Probably more likely that he is listed at 6'9" by the time he sees the floor. We all know that all recruiting services overstate and that only SLU/RM are accurate when it comes to measuring the height of players. LOL.

If anybody watched the two St. Louis Eagles games on TV this summer, Manning's team beat the Eagles the first time they were on TV. His summer team was stacked and Manning actually came off the bench.

Here's an article that has info on the players on that summer team: http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-0811/team-takeover-post-july-update/

That team is super stacked.

I'm excited about this pick up. The kid has some great summer league experience, playing with and against the best players in the nation.

Anyone out there agree with the theory that the college game goes through the guards? Besides me? And the guy over on ESPN (Katz, Gottleib, Bilas, whomever) that wrote it? John Wall. Derrick Rose. Tyreke Evans. Evan Turner. Rajon Rondo. Dwayne Wade. Allen Iverson. Stephon Curry. Jameer Nelson. Even Larry Hughes. And then there are the wiry finishers ... the ballhandler small forwards of LeBron, Kobe, Carmello, Brandon Roy, Kevin Durant. I hope Loe and Manning and Evans are all more wiry than stationary ala Kennt Freese, Brett Thompson, Anthony Mitchell and Va'Shun Nedwborne.

And I still am unconvinced as to who is going to shoot the ball at this point as well as deliver it past this year. To me, this year is about developing some consistency in that outside threat. Outside of Cody Ellis. Maybe they are on the roster in an improved Salescich and Cassity or additions Jett and McCall. Who plsys point when Mitchell is gone? Jett over McCall? Is McCall the second coming of Darren Clarke? Jett another Randy Pulley or Justin Jordan? Manning another Chip Entwhislte? All I'm saying is like the greta Joaquin Andujar used to say "youneverknow."

Agree the taslent pool is huge and much deeper than ever befoee --- if press clippings are to believd. I never really believe Biancardi due to his connection to Rick. I never really believe Bials because of his bias towards the ACC. Was the same with Packer. In a ny case, proof is in the pudding and we are a ways away from that so i ma happy once again to put my trust in Rick and staff and go from there. Wow! A full rostr --- whomever shall we sign in the spring????

Biedscheld is in the 2012 class.

Thanks for the correction. That's good news since we will have ample openings in that class. If we have as good of year this year as I'm hoping (expecting) then maybe we will be at the point when the really good locals stay home

Anyone out there agree with the theory that the college game goes through the guards? Besides me? And the guy over on ESPN (Katz, Gottleib, Bilas, whomever) that wrote it? John Wall. Derrick Rose. Tyreke Evans. Evan Turner. Rajon Rondo. Dwayne Wade. Allen Iverson. Stephon Curry. Jameer Nelson. Even Larry Hughes. And then there are the wiry finishers ... the ballhandler small forwards of LeBron, Kobe, Carmello, Brandon Roy, Kevin Durant. I hope Loe and Manning and Evans are all more wiry than stationary ala Kennt Freese, Brett Thompson, Anthony Mitchell and Va'Shun Nedwborne.

And I still am unconvinced as to who is going to shoot the ball at this point as well as deliver it past this year. To me, this year is about developing some consistency in that outside threat. Outside of Cody Ellis. Maybe they are on the roster in an improved Salescich and Cassity or additions Jett and McCall. Who plsys point when Mitchell is gone? Jett over McCall? Is McCall the second coming of Darren Clarke? Jett another Randy Pulley or Justin Jordan? Manning another Chip Entwhislte? All I'm saying is like the greta Joaquin Andujar used to say "youneverknow."

Agree the taslent pool is huge and much deeper than ever befoee --- if press clippings are to believd. I never really believe Biancardi due to his connection to Rick. I never really believe Bials because of his bias towards the ACC. Was the same with Packer. In a ny case, proof is in the pudding and we are a ways away from that so i ma happy once again to put my trust in Rick and staff and go from there. Wow! A full rostr --- whomever shall we sign in the spring????

I think the 3 point shot will be a strength of this team.

Cody will shoot closer to what he shot when he first arrived, not what he ended up at when his legs were so tired he looked slow.

Kyle shot 37% from the 3 in A10 play. I'd be shocked if he isn't near or over that. I don't see him regressing.

Kwamain shot 36% and that was after a late season fate. He was near or over 38% much of the season. More depth will keep him fresher.

Christian should get better. Probably not a 40% shooter, but possibly low 30's.

Nothing is certain, but I think the first 3 are about as sure of a thing as you will get. We won't have a guy shooting 45%, but a minnimum of 3 guys pushing 40% is pretty good.

Cody will shoot closer to what he shot when he first arrived, not what he ended up at when his legs were so tired he looked slow.

Kyle shot 37% from the 3 in A10 play. I'd be shocked if he isn't near or over that. I don't see him regressing.

Kwamain shot 36% and that was after a late season fate. He was near or over 38% much of the season. More depth will keep him fresher.

Nothing is certain, but I think the first 3 are about as sure of a thing as you will get. We won't have a guy shooting 45%, but a minnimum of 3 guys pushing 40% is pretty good.

Agreed and then add Barnett the following year.

Guest BillikenReport

Agree with Skip on this. I think SLU will shoot the 3 well enough to stretch defenses.

Dont forget MM. The coaching staff would say that he may be as good a shooter as KM.

Is Biedsheid allowed to play for the billikens as a senior in HS?? If not, lets just try to recruit him after he graduates high school.

ironically, duke has a guard, andre dawkins that after his junior year had enough credits to graduate so went to duke and missed the wonderful recruiting experience. maybe we should see if biedsheid has the credits? ;)

p.s the above post was not intended to mean that duke did anything wrong or unethical in that scenario. god forbid we have that discussion again and i get challenged to a duke fight at humphries again by one of mb73's henchmen.

actually we havent had many bigs over the last 30 years. many a year our c and pf were undersized and we never had this much depth.

Yep, so long to the days of having a 6'3 1/2" Jeff Harris playing center and having to grab a hold of the net and pull himself up in order to get our 1 dunk of the year

Basketball Recruiting

The summer of 2010 was a special one for Washington, D.C. area summer program Team Takeover. They won at a big clip and are sending a bunch of guys to division programs. Monday night, John Manning became the latest Team Takeover product to commit when he picked Saint Louis.

A 6-foot-11 center out of Chantilly (Va.) High, Manning is walking into a good situation per Takeover program director Keith Stevens.

"I think it's going to be a great situation for him playing for coach Majerus," Stevens told Rivals.com. "Coach Majerus has had a lot of success coaching big men and this should be great for him."

Not only is Manning big, he's a pretty fluid kid who can run and he's got a body to build on. He's shown flashes of putting it all together and could emerge as a force at Saint Louis with more seasoning.

"He's definitely underrated," said Stevens. "Sometimes being underrated is good because you can have an opportunity to go into a good situation and play for a good coach and have a good opportunity to win. That's what John has."

Some more info on Biedscheid:

Notre Dame is the site of another big game as the Irish host the Michigan Wolverines. They will have wing Patrick Connaughton and athletic Darion Atkins in town for official visits. Unofficial visitors expected to drop by include 2013 four-star Basil Smotherman and 2012 St. Louis four-star wing Cameron Biedscheid.

Roy and I agree for a change, when did SLU ever have big men? Someone LIKE Brian Conklin would be the center in years past. Still what SLU needs is a slashing dominate two guard to finish this team. This isn't a knock on what SLU has. I think SLU has the size, talent and depth to win a very good A-10 this year.

:(

p.s the above post was not intended to mean that duke did anything wrong or unethical in that scenario. god forbid we have that discussion again and i get challenged to a duke fight at humphries again by one of mb73's henchmen.

HA!

Good.

I call for a truce.

Ceasefire.

Armistice: "all fighting ends with no one surrendering".

broy/MB73 on Duke related issues, effective 9-21-2010. :D

Biedscheld is in the 2012 class.

That 2012 class will be very important. It is nice that we currently have a full roster and can really plan ahead with our recruiting targets. A trip to the Big Dance this year would be huge with recruits who might be on the fence. We can talk all we want about how good we are going to be in the future, but it is time we prove it this year.

That 2012 class will be very important. It is nice that we currently have a full roster and can really plan ahead with our recruiting targets. A trip to the Big Dance this year would be huge with recruits who might be on the fence. We can talk all we want about how good we are going to be in the future, but it is time we prove it this year.

This is so true. As we know, the local junior class is loaded. Rumors are, we have done a good job recruiting that class to date. It will be critical for us to have a good season, get some real excitement around town and make the dance, which will show those recruits that coming to SLU doesn't have to mean settling.

Its been 10 years since we were last in the dance and 12 years since this town was really abuzz with Billiken basketball. Its not hard to see why current 16 and 17 year olds don't realize how good this program can be.

I agree that you need good guards, but whenever you look at the teams from one level and the teams that made it to the next level, the big difference is size. Wall had Cousins. Derrik Rose had the huge front court. North Carolina championship - Tyler. Kansas championship had both those 6-9 big guys. Even Butler, the little team that could, had their 2 best players at PF and center. And Duke still won it because they were just bigger.

Rather than Freese or Thompson, I would be happy with another Ian V. Kevin sure had better results with him than without.