SLU commitment

SLURadioBoy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That a boy, MB. Remember, if he's not surrendering, you are surrendering. Now go stick your henchmen back on him.

thanks a lot backhand. :lol:

(and after we let you in the old boys club)

I posted in another thread a while back that I was pretty sure we would sign at least one, if not 2; and now it appears pretty likely we'll sign another as well besides Manning.

the schollies might look full at present but by summer it seems pretty obvious another will open. the coaches are very proactive in this regime about keeping all the scholarships filled, which is big-time.

take it FWIW: prediction--we'll sign 2 this fall.

From ESPNInsider Rumor Central:

Billikens go big

7:23

AM ETSaint Louis Billikens TopEmailIt was only going to be a matter of time until Rick Majerus got St. Louis into the hunt in the A-10. That time is arriving very soon.

ESPN Recruiting is reporting a huge verbal get for the Billikens, who landed a commit from mobile 6-foot-10 big man John Manning this week.

Manning will be the perfect complement to Majerus' four-man class of 2010, which is headlined by 6-foot-11 PF Rob Loe and bullish lead guard Jordair Jett. Though slender, Manning is an intimidating and effective shot blocker with effective moves in the paint.

The Billikens have already become one of the tougher outs in the A-10, and should be in the top echelon with Dayton and Temple by the time Manning takes the floor in St. Louis.

- Eric Angevine

ESPN Recruiting: Paul Biancardi

Manning is a Majerus type of guy.

"With his effort and ability under the tutelage of Coach (Rick) Majerus, Manning has a chance to shine for the Billikens in the A10. He's the type of hard working, aggressive true center that Majerus has won close to 500 career games with," Biancardi added. "With most of the SLU roster being sophomores and juniors this year, John will walk in to a situation with veteran players around him in 2011. The Billikens should have an excellent team that competes for an A-10 title."

Falling under the heading of "the chicken and the egg" I wonder if Paul Biancardi is still helping the Billikens, by tipping off RM on possible recruits in various parts of the country not normally recruited by the Bills. I gotta tell you one of my first thoughts after the Manning announcement was how did we know about some guy in the D.C. area. Does Paul give RM a heads up on some of these under the radar guys?

If Paul is not the initial source of the information on guys like Manning, it still seems to be a real positive that He continues to write as if he were still a part of the SLU staff.

In either case, good for RM and SLU!

Here's what ESPN said about him...

April, 2010: Manning is a true center and excellent role player. He runs the floor for easy baskets and finishes drop off passes created by dribble penetration above the rim with an angle or clear path. In the post Manning will execute drop steps and hook shots over his left shoulder. He is an average athlete with great size. He works to screen in order to free teammates or to create a scoring opportunity for himself. On defense Manning is worth is weight in gold. He understands how to gap a live dribble in the post and does a great job using his length to defend the dribble on the perimeter. He is a smart enough player to defend both post positions. Manning is a good area rebounder as well more because of size than athletic ability. Manning plays with urgency on both ends of the floor and has good upside.

December, 2009: This mobile post is a good area rebounder, on ball shot blocker and drop off pass dunker. He runs the floor and is more athletic than he looks. Manning is long and a pretty quick jumper for his size. He lacks strength that prevents him from finishing at times in heavy traffic but his hands are good and he will be able to complete those plays when he gets stronger. Manning is a good and willing passer as well. He is pretty active and aggressive and has great upside. He works for low post position the entire possession. Manning's development over the next year and a half will determine his level of recruiting. I love this kid's potential.

July, 2009: Manning is a long armed, broad shouldered post player. He still must fill out his body and is not yet a finished product. Right now, he is a capable rebounder, who works hard to get easy baskets by running the floor hard to convert stick backs or finish his own easy lay-up running to the rim. He has good hands and understands the post position. He is mastering the art of footwork for a big man and has pretty good skills. He can face the basket better than he plays with his back to the goal. As he plays against more players his size in the post, he will need to develop those moves. Right now, his offense is ahead of his defensive game but he does show an ability to alter and block shots. With continued work in the weight room and improved agility and coordination, Manning will be an excellent college prospect.

April, 2009: John is a long mobile post player with broad shoulders that once he fills out will be a very good prospect. For now he is a work in progress. John has the basic skill set to work with and works hard at his game. Offensively he has good hands and footwork. He does a good job in sealing the the low blocks but needs to develop his back to the basket game, as he has not shown the ability to score over athletic bigs and play a more physical game. John does a good job facing up free throw line extended but has not yet displayed the ability to create scoring opportunities at the rim. He does rebound well both in and out of his area but still needs to improve his tenacity. He runs the floor extremely well, for a young big man and it bodes him well as the big fella does a good job getting easy baskets in transition. Defensively he does a very solid job in challenging shots and keeps very good positioning in the low post. His offense is a year ahead of his defense. You can't teach size, and John is a legitimate 6'11 and has the frame to carry 240 without losing his agility. Improved body strength will help his assertiveness and overall game.

You know this sounds a lot like Michael Doleac, Rick's best big man at Utah. Not highly recruited, but has lots of size. Decent low post game. Enjoys defense. Hopefully he possesses Doleac's work ethic. If so, he may become a rich man in five or six years.

Falling under the heading of "the chicken and the egg" I wonder if Paul Biancardi is still helping the Billikens, by tipping off RM on possible recruits in various parts of the country not normally recruited by the Bills. I gotta tell you one of my first thoughts after the Manning announcement was how did we know about some guy in the D.C. area. Does Paul give RM a heads up on some of these under the radar guys?

If Paul is not the initial source of the information on guys like Manning, it still seems to be a real positive that He continues to write as if he were still a part of the SLU staff.

In either case, good for RM and SLU!

ESPN rumor: RM has friends not the old toad he has been painted

They also bumped him up to the 19th best C in the country's senior class. I believe he was around 36 before.

If RM can continue to bring in the top 19th player at any position each year, we would have a team of top 19s starting (ok, 4 0f the 5 starters). How great would that be!

I would much rather have that type of team than the type Cal. is puting together every year at KY. Wouldn't MM fall into the top 20 category for either PG or SG in this years' group of recruits? Also, it would seem like RL would be a top 20 type player at the "4" spot. Sprinkle in a couple of other solid (hopefully) recruits like DE and JJ and we got a good thing going.

If RM can continue to bring in the top 19th player at any position each year, we would have a team of top 19s starting (ok, 4 0f the 5 starters). How great would that be!

I would much rather have that type of team than the type Cal. is puting together every year at KY. Wouldn't MM fall into the top 20 category for either PG or SG in this years' group of recruits? Also, it would seem like RL would be a top 20 type player at the "4" spot. Sprinkle in a couple of other solid (hopefully) recruits like DE and JJ and we got a good thing going.

I guess it depends on whose #'s you use. ESPN has JM at #19 C. They also have JJ at #45 PG in country and MM at #57. RL at #39 PF and DE #148 SF.