and people wonder why some of us hate mi$$ouri fans

billiken_roy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Particularly in St. Louis, where certain radio heads live and die with their allegiance to SLU or their hatred for all things Mizzou, all you're doing is giving air time for people to go "Whoo! Hooo! Did you see what WE did to Ol' Mizzou?"

Aside from Cusumano, I can't think of any "radio heads" like that.

I think I read that the game MU is playing with Georgetown in KC is a tourney so MU did not actually schedule that game either. Once again, unless MU sees a reason that benefits them they will not schedule us and since they have decided that there is no benefit for them then all the money or goodwill for the state bb community is of no importance. One thing that MU supporters are upset with is that when we had the issue this spring come up with some of the players that a big expose was not done like it is when a MU player gets in trouble. The problem was that when a MU player gets in trouble they have usually been in the wrong so there is something to report. The incident this spring with the SLU players was deemed by the legal system as not chargeable so the matter basically went away. When an MU player is accused of something and the legal system deems nothing is chargeable then it also will go away.

It is somewhat laughable that they actually think that their program is the only relevant one in the entire state. My guess is that if you put UMKC, MSU, and SLU's fan's base together it will exceed that of MU so even if they think they are the only program followed in the state they are very wrong.

I'd throw Rammer in there as well.

i would disagree. ramsey goes out of his way to be "fair" about slu to the point it p!sses me off. he has moments where he let's billiken bob come through, but more times than not he is not.

frank without a doubt is a billiken fan on the radio.

What pisses me off about that is it was written by Mike DeArmond. He's not some punk kid in his basement writing on his blog but rather is the MU beat writer for the KC Star. Not exactly a classy post, even if it is in a blog forum. Could anyone imagine Timmerman writing something like that?

Its amazing the power of the print media. RM has said about 10 times over the last year on radio that he tried to schedule MU with no luck. Nobody cared. Today, I've had two casual fans come up to me and talk about why MU is scared to play the game. I've told them its been 8+ years that we've been trying to play them so I'm certainly not surprised now.

I just hope that the MU fans that frequent this board don't come here later in the year when we have a nice record and feel the need to tell us how much better they are than us (and MU should be very good even without Mitchell). A simple solution to prove that would have been a game but since their coach/AD are two chickensheat to play the game it will be left to us internet warriors to argue each side.

I think I read that the game MU is playing with Georgetown in KC is a tourney so MU did not actually schedule that game either. Once again, unless MU sees a reason that benefits them they will not schedule us and since they have decided that there is no benefit for them then all the money or goodwill for the state bb community is of no importance. One thing that MU supporters are upset with is that when we had the issue this spring come up with some of the players that a big expose was not done like it is when a MU player gets in trouble. The problem was that when a MU player gets in trouble they have usually been in the wrong so there is something to report. The incident this spring with the SLU players was deemed by the legal system as not chargeable so the matter basically went away. When an MU player is accused of something and the legal system deems nothing is chargeable then it also will go away.

It is somewhat laughable that they actually think that their program is the only relevant one in the entire state. My guess is that if you put UMKC, MSU, and SLU's fan's base together it will exceed that of MU so even if they think they are the only program followed in the state they are very wrong.

The game is not part of a tournament. The Mizzou/Georgetown game is the 2010 John McLendon Classic because a portion of the proceeds from the contest will support the John McLendon Minority Postgraduate Scholarship Program.

As far as I can tell Mizzou has not released their schedule, but their nonconference schedule of late has been fairly comparable to SLU with a large helping of cupcakes. For this season I know they play Georgetown in KC, Illinois in StL, Oregon in the Big 12/Pac 10 Challenge, and Vandy in Columbia, in addition to a tournament in Cancun which looks similar to ours as far as quality (Providence, LaSalle, Wyoming, and Mizzou are the 4 top teams), but I doubt there are many tests outside of that.

Yeah, it seems like a rather immature and unprofessional thing to write.

It clearly exposes him as a 3rd-rate (maybe that's too high) hack (not journalist) who finds it impossible to write with any sense of impartiality. I'm sure the MU Ath. Dept and MBB coaching staffs (MA & MA) are not happy to have this published as their reason for ducking SLU. Finally, the truth comes out-they are a bunch of COWARDS!

Shame on them!!!!!!!!!!!!

The funniest part of this whole thing is the article in column on the left sights how an M.U. athlete missed his court date.

We proved the last three times we played them that we are an equal. We are way past bitching about them not playing S.L.U.

Majerus needs to let it go.

Agreed. This guy sounds like a moron.

Here is what I will say about how RM has handled this MU thing - he has taken it to the media and is getting some attention. I don't know if it will cause a game to surface but at least he has gotten the attention of someone other than us on the board.

Rick's comments sparked several office conversations. I'm known as a SLU fan and Mizzou fans come out of the woodwork to visit me and ask me if we even have a team. This writer I believe speaks for most of the Mizzery fanbase.

I've resigned myself to the fact that unless the Missourah legislature makes Mi$$ou play us (also Mo St & UMKC) they never will. As long as Mi$$ou doesn't play the game they will always be the best. Why challenge themselves.

While this is still a chickenshit way to run a program lots of other schools do it. Mi$$ou isn't alone.

Also as SLU I would refuse to play Illinois until Weber sacks up and plays SIUC. Those inbred hicks are some of our most hated rivals but the Salukis deserve a game against the Illini. If they go to sweet sixteeens and win conference titles and can't get a game what business do we have bitching about one.

After our 2012 Final Four run SLU will make it a point to turn down SPUMAC for a game in prime time on national TV. We will schedule the game vs. Ill or KU.

I'm not concerned with them anymore. Time to move on and start winning.

After our 2012 Final Four run SLU will make it a point to turn down SPUMAC for a game in prime time on national TV. We will schedule the game vs. Ill or KU.

I'm not concerned with them anymore. Time to move on and start winning.

I remember all the good press that came about after the last game, 2001, I think and how all the media thought this should be an annual affair. One even went so far as to say the Mo Legislature should mandate an annual game. All of this rolled right off Mizzery's back. I don't think we'll ever get them to play us unless we face them in the NCAA and whack them silly. Then they'd almost be forced to schedule us just to save some face. It's clear they don't want their supposed mystique as the king of the hill program threatened in any way. As for the money aspect, I guess Mizzery's content with the gate proceeds from a Nicholls State game rather than a SLU game. That alone should be enough for their admin to want the game. What, Mizzery wouldn't like an extra $200 grand in their athletic coffers? This is all about fear. Abomb's right. We might as well stop pulling our hair out about a Mizzery game. It ain't gonna happen anytime soon, they ought to change their mascot from Tigers to Pu**ys.

I would rather play Illinois

I talked to Webber about this when he was at the cards game last friday..the exact question: "you guys shoould try playin SLU, could be a great game." his response: "we cant play slu, we already come to st. louis once to play missouri." then went on to talk about some pretty funny majerus stories that he started off with by telling the joke/trivia question: who is the only coach to coach high school, college and the pro's without leaving his mom's basement? Rickma.

The game is not part of a tournament. The Mizzou/Georgetown game is the 2010 John McLendon Classic because a portion of the proceeds from the contest will support the John McLendon Minority Postgraduate Scholarship Program.

As far as I can tell Mizzou has not released their schedule, but their nonconference schedule of late has been fairly comparable to SLU with a large helping of cupcakes. For this season I know they play Georgetown in KC, Illinois in StL, Oregon in the Big 12/Pac 10 Challenge, and Vandy in Columbia, in addition to a tournament in Cancun which looks similar to ours as far as quality (Providence, LaSalle, Wyoming, and Mizzou are the 4 top teams), but I doubt there are many tests outside of that.

OK first of all, the game against Georgetown may not be technically a tournament but it was game scheduled by a third party and not done directly by MU or Georgetown so my premise is still accurate. So, just as we can not claim credit for playing Iowa State and ND last year as our scheduling coups they can not claim this as theirs. Second, regardless of what their schedule is this year, my comment was based on what they had done in the past - to inject this year's schedule into the conversation given that even you admit they had not released this years schedule yet makes for my point to be valid - they have historically played weak non conference home games. Third, the Big 12/10 Challenge is not their doing - once again a third party set it up and they had little if any control over the scheduling of that game. My point simply was that they have not in the past played a tough non conf schedule - should they of course just as we should do so whenever possible.

I remember all the good press that came about after the last game, 2001, I think and how all the media thought this should be an annual affair. One even went so far as to say the Mo Legislature should mandate an annual game. All of this rolled right off Mizzery's back. I don't think we'll ever get them to play us unless we face them in the NCAA and whack them silly. Then they'd almost be forced to schedule us just to save some face. It's clear they don't want their supposed mystique as the king of the hill program threatened in any way. As for the money aspect, I guess Mizzery's content with the gate proceeds from a Nicholls State game rather than a SLU game. That alone should be enough for their admin to want the game. What, Mizzery wouldn't like an extra $200 grand in their athletic coffers? This is all about fear. Abomb's right. We might as well stop pulling our hair out about a Mizzery game. It ain't gonna happen anytime soon, they ought to change their mascot from Tigers to Pu**ys.

I agree we should not even give this topic a second thought anymore. I too am way past even caring about it any more - not just now but for the past few years to be honest. Once again, their gate revenue is just like ours when it comes playing Rockhurst or Chi State - we make more money and so do they. The one thing that makes this different is at one point when Soderberg was the coach here, a sports management group offered a 500K pay day for both schools if both of us would agree to play both games at the Dome - we were chomping at the offer but MU turned their nose up to it. So, money is not even a driving force for them when it comes to scheduling.