and people wonder why some of us hate mi$$ouri fans

billiken_roy

they will never improve based on their run and gun style of play. they can't beat the well disceplined teams/

Well, Arkansas did win the national championship in 1994 playing a similar style (which isn't really run-and-gun, by the way). With enough talent and experience, pretty much any "style" can win a championship.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very simple. When SLU goes to the NCAA (and I think they can do it this year), then there will be more clamor and pressure for Mizzou to schedule them on an equal footing. I think SLU with its size and precise execution is a bad matchup for Mizzou, especially with Kwamain Mitchell at the point.

they will never improve based on their run and gun style of play. they can't beat the well disceplined teams/

Agree with THicks, Mizzou's style can win out, especially with many top NCAA teams having players go to the NBA after one year. So far, they haven't recruited at a high enough level to be elite. However, I'm confident that over time, Anderson will get them at that level. As long as Majerus hangs on at SLU, things appear to look bright for basketball in the Show Me State.

Agree with THicks, Mizzou's style can win out, especially with many top NCAA teams having players go to the NBA after one year. So far, they haven't recruited at a high enough level to be elite. However, I'm confident that over time, Anderson will get them at that level. As long as Majerus hangs on at SLU, things appear to look bright for basketball in the Show Me State.

MO State also appears to be getting better. And for those that can say Mizzou can't make a final four with their style they were one win away two years ago

The game is not part of a tournament. The Mizzou/Georgetown game is the 2010 John McLendon Classic because a portion of the proceeds from the contest will support the John McLendon Minority Postgraduate Scholarship Program.

As far as I can tell Mizzou has not released their schedule, but their nonconference schedule of late has been fairly comparable to SLU with a large helping of cupcakes. For this season I know they play Georgetown in KC, Illinois in StL, Oregon in the Big 12/Pac 10 Challenge, and Vandy in Columbia, in addition to a tournament in Cancun which looks similar to ours as far as quality (Providence, LaSalle, Wyoming, and Mizzou are the 4 top teams), but I doubt there are many tests outside of that.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/article_2766911d-bab7-5ca9-b64e-aab5729d8805.html

The Mizzou schedule is out. The non-conference slate is probably considered a bit tougher than ours because they'll end up playing 5 BCS schools. The Georgetown-Oregon-Vandy stretch will be the toughest part for sure. ODU and ORU are both usually pretty solid. The striking thing is that outside of the Oregon game (as you say, part of the Pac 10-Big 12 Challenge) and the tournament in Mexico, they don't leave the state. You could make a case for St. Louis and KC being 'neutral' for the Illinois and Georgetown games, but that still gives them a total of 1 true road game before the conference.

Mike DeArmond is nothing more than a drunk. One of the best parts of being a Jayhawk grad is making that family look like jackasses. Hey Drunk DeArmond, have the Slavers ever been good in basketball. SLU won the NIT when it mattered.

Point of order: kU grads who end up in St. Louis, Missouri should probably cease referring to Missouri residents as "slavers."

that's all i've got.

Here's there full 2010-2011 schedule

The schedule

Exhibition games

Nov. 5: vs. Harris-Stowe State

Nov. 12: vs. Arkansas-Fort Smith

Regular season

Nov. 18: vs. Western Illinois

Nov. 20: vs. North Florida

Nov. 23: vs. Wyoming in Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Nov. 24: vs. Providence or La Salle in Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Nov. 28: vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Nov. 30: vs. Georgetown in Kansas City

Dec. 2: at Oregon

Dec. 8: vs. Vanderbilt

Dec. 11: vs. Presbyterian

Dec. 16: vs. Oral Roberts

Dec. 18: vs. Central Arkansas

Dec. 22: vs. Illinois in St. Louis

Dec. 27: vs. Northern Illinois

Dec. 30: vs. Old Dominion

Jan. 5: vs. North Alabama

Jan. 8: at Colorado

Jan. 12: vs. Nebraska

Jan. 15: at Texas A&M

Jan. 17: vs. Kansas State

Jan. 22: vs. Iowa State

Jan. 29: at Texas

Feb. 2: at Oklahoma State

Feb. 5: vs. Colorado

Feb. 7: at Kansas

Feb. 12: vs. Oklahoma

Feb. 15: vs. Texas Tech

Feb. 19: at Iowa State

Feb. 23: vs. Baylor

Feb. 26: at Kansas State

March 1: at Nebraska

March 5: vs. Kansas

I think Mike was expressing the opinion of a lot of MU fans, at least those outside of the St. Louis area. Obviously, he's on the western side of the state. One point I've tried to make over the years is the potential MU/SLU matchup is big in St. Louis, but not so big in the rest of the state.

Having said that, I've written here that I think the two schools should play. I think criticism of Mizzou's non-conference schedule is more than fair, I've done it myself. (Don't even get me started on the football non-conference- I just drove down to see Mizzou knock around McNeese State last week).

I'd like to hear someone from the administration address the question, but I doubt they ever will.

As far as those criticising Missouri's system, I'd say they've done quite well with that system the last couple of years and, at least in the NCAA, have either beaten teams with more talent (Marquette, Memphis, Clemson) or taken teams with more talent down to the wire (U-Conn).

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/article_2766911d-bab7-5ca9-b64e-aab5729d8805.html

The Mizzou schedule is out. The non-conference slate is probably considered a bit tougher than ours because they'll end up playing 5 BCS schools. The Georgetown-Oregon-Vandy stretch will be the toughest part for sure. ODU and ORU are both usually pretty solid. The striking thing is that outside of the Oregon game (as you say, part of the Pac 10-Big 12 Challenge) and the tournament in Mexico, they don't leave the state. You could make a case for St. Louis and KC being 'neutral' for the Illinois and Georgetown games, but that still gives them a total of 1 true road game before the conference.

Oregon is a classic example of a "name" team that isn't any good. they had an RPI of 138 last year and I think many expect them to be worse this year. Oral Roberts is nothing special either (still don't get why they did that 2 for 1 with them). I also wouldn't call the G-town game neutral. It'll be 95% MU fans.

As has been pointed out many times, for the most part teams in the top 3-4 conferences really don't HAVE to play a tough non-con schedule to get an NCAA bid. Some, like Michigan St. choose to, others choose not to. That is their right. Its just a shame that teams like SLU and other non-BCSers that want to play tough schedules that are also attractive to their fans simply can't get teams to play on fair terms. Life ain't fair though, so the only thing we can do is go out and kick ass on the court.

This writer seems to forget that the Mizzou v. SLU series was probably the most competitive nonconference series they have had in years. Every game went down to the wire. I was at the game the Bills played in Columbia. The place was packed, unlike many of their nonconference games these days that are played in an empty building. There is no reason for them to be afraid. It would be interesting and financially worthwhile for both sides.

How can people be surprised when a mizzou fan comes on to this site to boast when this thread is laced with calling mizzou fans arrogant "douchbags", etc etc. A bunch of bush league comments like that draw the feedback from mizzou fans. SLU should play Mizzou bottomline...but they havent agreed to play since '01 and wont so I dont know why this topic is brought up every season, and multiple times during the season to compare teams. Find something else to talk about

I think Mike was expressing the opinion of a lot of MU fans, at least those outside of the St. Louis area. Obviously, he's on the western side of the state. One point I've tried to make over the years is the potential MU/SLU matchup is big in St. Louis, but not so big in the rest of the state.

TGR. Your opinion would hold more weight if DeArmond had not also commented on Missouri State. Believe there is considerable interest in Southwestern Missouri and throughout the state for a regional game between MU and MSU. Sure, a game with MSU might have more interest in Springfield than in parts of the rest of the state (though interest would be high b/c a ton of MSU students/alum are from St. Louis/KC and returned back to St. Louis/KC to live/work) just like a game between MU and SLU might have more interest in St. Louis than the rest of the state. But so what?? If scheduling is based only on fan interest, then why the "buy" games with the creampuffs on your schedule. Face it, Mizzou plays good teams in their conference, the Illini and whatever a tournament gives them but that's about it. Norm was all about the Big 8 and conference play but even he played some good teams. Still remember the Mizzou game against Dean Smith/North Carolina.

And just to add, Mizzou is NOT the only school playing only creampuffs outside of their conference and neutral court tournaments/showcases. To me, I don't understand why college basketball fans are not more upset about their teams playing in other cities and away from campus. How much better would season tickets be if G'Town actually came to Mizzou Arena instead of Kansas City, etc.

I would much rather play teams like Duke, Georgetown, even Bradley than Missouri. With Missouri its always on their terms. I wouldn't contact them again.

If and when they want to play us, they can contact us. RM should spend his time trying to build other relationships within the Jesuit community. Screw Mizzou. Who needs them.

We play 4-5 decent games, but the rest pretty much stink.

MUTGR.

But you play no local/regional teams others than Illinois -- neutral court. And not just this year, or last year, or b/c of unique scheduling issues. You guys flat out refuse to play not only SLU but also MSU and SIUC.

Look at your fellow schools: Oklahoma plays Oral Roberts. Oklhoma State plays both Tulsa and Missouri State. Nebraska plays Creighton. Wisconsin plays Green Bay, Marquette and Milwaukee. Illinois plays UIC (and this year looks to finally be playing SIU - but looks like part of a tournament). I could go on and on.

What say you??

MUTGR.

But you play no local/regional teams others than Illinois -- neutral court. And not just this year, or last year, or b/c of unique scheduling issues. You guys flat out refuse to play not only SLU but also MSU and SIUC.

Look at your fellow schools: Oklahoma plays Oral Roberts. Oklhoma State plays both Tulsa and Missouri State. Nebraska plays Creighton. Wisconsin plays Green Bay, Marquette and Milwaukee. Illinois plays UIC (and this year looks to finally be playing SIU - but looks like part of a tournament). I could go on and on.

What say you??

Speaking for myself only, I have little interest in those regional games you mentioned at all. SIUC is pathetic and why are they a regional school for Mizzou to play? If they are a regional school, pick schools in Iowa, KS, Arkansas etc that we should also play. And we did play Oral Roberts in Tulsa and I'll never understand why.

Missouri State doesn't interest me as a fan either.

SLU is a special case to me because (i) it is a St. Louis School; (ii) you have a marquee coach (iii)you play in a good conference and (iv) you are good.

I'd like Missouri to drop two of the blood donors and add, say, a SLU and another team from the big 10, big east, ACC, or SEC. Or, to keep it regional, I'd love for Missouri to play Arkansas every year or add Iowa to the schedule.

There is a bit of science to scheduling and some guy on tigerboard has tried to explain why scheduling a road game with SLU would mean we would have to drop one of the better games on our schedule. I don't know if that many fans would want to drop a Georgetown for a SLU game. On the other hand, I think a lot of people would rather see us play SLU than the usual suspects.

I don't know, I figure if there was a will there would be a way. I don't think it's going to happen, especially with Majerus running his mouth in the paper every chance he gets.

This is what the guy on Tigerboard posted about this subject:

"There are 20 required home games, and 11 away. We get another two away games in a tournament. 8 of the away games are conference games now, so that leaves 3. Then we have Illinois and Oregon, which we are committed to from the Pac-10 Big 12 series. That leaves one road game this year, Georgetown.

Next year, we'll have Illinois and Old Dominion, plus another game from a larger conference at a nuetral site. That again takes up our road games in the non conference.

After that, we'll actually lose one away game in the noncoference due to a larger conference scheduling. Since Illinois is a fixture there, we'll only have one other away game. Due to our commitment with the Pac-10, we'll only have one away game to schedule in the nonconference to schedule every other year.

So, why waste that one game on a home game in St. Louis when we could continue scheduling either a neutral site Big East or ACC matchup?

I'm sure the AD would love to play SLU in Columbia. It'd be something that would draw fans. It would boost our home nonconference by getting rid of one of the pansies. However, playing them in St. Louis actually hurts our schedule, because it takes away a better potential road matchup. Playing them at home is the only way this benefits Mizzou."

Speaking for myself only, I have little interest in those regional games you mentioned at all. SIUC is pathetic and why are they a regional school for Mizzou to play? If they are a regional school, pick schools in Iowa, KS, Arkansas etc that we should also play. And we did play Oral Roberts in Tulsa and I'll never understand why.

SLU is a special case to me because (i) it is a St. Louis School; (ii) you have a marquee coach (iii)you play in a good conference and (iv) you are good.

I'd like Missouri to drop two of the blood donors and add, say, a SLU and another team from the big 10, big east, ACC, or SEC. Or, to keep it regional, I'd love for Missouri to play Arkansas every year or add Iowa to the schedule.

There is a bit of science to scheduling and some guy on tigerboard has tried to explain why scheduling a road game with SLU would mean we would have to drop one of the better games on our schedule. I don't know if that many fans would want to drop a Georgetown for a SLU game. On the other hand, I think a lot of people would rather see us play SLU than the usual suspects.

I don't know, I figure if there was a will there would be a way. I don't think it's going to happen, especially with Majerus running his mouth in the paper every chance he gets.

"There are 20 required home games, and 11 away. We get another two away games in a tournament. 8 of the away games are conference games now, so that leaves 3. Then we have Illinois and Oregon, which we are committed to from the Pac-10 Big 12 series. That leaves one road game this year, Georgetown.

Next year, we'll have Illinois and Old Dominion, plus another game from a larger conference at a nuetral site. That again takes up our road games in the non conference.

After that, we'll actually lose one away game in the noncoference due to a larger conference scheduling. Since Illinois is a fixture there, we'll only have one other away game. Due to our commitment with the Pac-10, we'll only have one away game to schedule in the nonconference to schedule every other year.

So, why waste that one game on a home game in St. Louis when we could continue scheduling either a neutral site Big East or ACC matchup?

I'm sure the AD would love to play SLU in Columbia. It'd be something that would draw fans. It would boost our home nonconference by getting rid of one of the pansies. However, playing them in St. Louis actually hurts our schedule, because it takes away a better potential road matchup. Playing them at home is the only way this benefits Mizzou."

Don't believe I have ever been put in the position of praising SIUC, and admit it's a strange feeling, but be advised that the Salukis were a regular Tourney team who also regularly won the Valley. They also did more than make the Tourney - they advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. Maybe that was during the Qunn year's and you naturally like to forget that entire era. Yes, the last 2 years, they have been down but they still have not been pathetic. Most of the years prior, they were not only NOT pathetic but they were much better than your Tigers. Why would some "lesser" team from Arkansas, Oklahoma or Kansas be OK but not from Illinois?

You guys have the argument of not wanting to come to St. Louis twice in one year with respect to SLU but you have no argument with respect to Missouri State. Too many logistic problems with a one hour bus ride?? Don't have to stay the night in Springfield. Can jump back on the bus and be back in Boone County in almost no time.

You throw out marquee games with Arkansas (SEC and the flagship school in AR) and the desire to play a Big East game. I'm not talking about playing SLU or MSU versus GTown. Instead, I'm saying play one of us "lesser" schools in lieu of all the "buy" games. Your premise of 20 home games is wrong. Why must Mizzou play 20 home games? The other schools don't do that.

Also, I'll bet that if asked the proverbial "average" Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska fan, they would not say that playing regional teams like Tulsa, Oral Roberts, Creighton, etc. are the highlight of their year or that they are so excited about them, but they still play them instead of the meaningless "buy" games. Boring. Every year it's the same. Bring in the no-name, non-regional bad "buy" games, play very few if any road games, and then hope you don't take a beating at Fogg Allen or in Austin, TX while you hope for miracle buzzer-beater win against your rival Jayhwaks -- all the while, we are forced to listen to obnoxious Mizzou fans and Mizzou J-School media types brag how good the Tigers are. Well I'm from Missouri too. Show Me.

just as i said, they will play us only on their terms. That's crap. Work on building some new rivalries if thats possible. Hopefully with some of the Jeauit Schools. I wouldn't go to Columbia to play if it was the last road game to schedule and we had no other choice.

1) did he call the G-town game a road game?

2) did he call the Illinois game a road game?

3) why schedule a home and home series with Old Dominion rather than a regional BCS or non-BCS school?

4) wouldn't a neutral court game at the Savvis make more money for MU than the G-town game (unless of course they are expecting a sell-out in the G-town game)

Don't believe I have ever been put in the position of praising SIUC, and admit it's a strange feeling, but be advised that the Salukis were a regular Tourney team who also regularly won the Valley. They also did more than make the Tourney - they advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. Maybe that was during the Qunn year's and you naturally like to forget that entire era. Yes, the last 2 years, they have been down but they still have not been pathetic. Most of the years prior, they were not only NOT pathetic but they were much better than your Tigers. Why would some "lesser" team from Arkansas, Oklahoma or Kansas be OK but not from Illinois?

You guys have the argument of not wanting to come to St. Louis twice in one year with respect to SLU but you have no argument with respect to Missouri State. Too many logistic problems with a one hour bus ride?? Don't have to stay the night in Springfield. Can jump back on the bus and be back in Boone County in almost no time.

You throw out marquee games with Arkansas (SEC and the flagship school in AR) and the desire to play a Big East game. I'm not talking about playing SLU or MSU versus GTown. Instead, I'm saying play one of us "lesser" schools in lieu of all the "buy" games. Your premise of 20 home games is wrong. Why must Mizzou play 20 home games? The other schools don't do that.

Also, I'll bet that if asked the proverbial "average" Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska fan, they would not say that playing regional teams like Tulsa, Oral Roberts, Creighton, etc. are the highlight of their year or that they are so excited about them, but they still play them instead of the meaningless "buy" games. Boring. Every year it's the same. Bring in the no-name, non-regional bad "buy" games, play very few if any road games, and then hope you don't take a beating at Fogg Allen or in Austin, TX while you hope for miracle buzzer-beater win against your rival Jayhwaks -- all the while, we are forced to listen to obnoxious Mizzou fans and Mizzou J-School media types brag how good the Tigers are. Well I'm from Missouri too. Show Me.

I'm aware of the success SIUC had. I'm also aware of how the bandwagon St. Louis media treated them so well and then when the program falls apart nothing but silence. I'm sorry, I don't really consider a southern Illinois team a local team.

I don't know that you're forced to listen to anything. As far as showing you, if you've paid attention the last couple of years you'd realize we have a good program that has had a lot of success, including a game away from the final four and an NCAA tournament appearance and win last year in what was really a rebuilding year. I believe we will have another successful year.

1) did he call the G-town game a road game?

2) did he call the Illinois game a road game?

3) why schedule a home and home series with Old Dominion rather than a regional BCS or non-BCS school?

4) wouldn't a neutral court game at the Savvis make more money for MU than the G-town game (unless of course they are expecting a sell-out in the G-town game)

I think the guy is pretty full of it, I just offered it up for discussion.

Personally, I think it is Mike Alden. I think he has a burr in his saddle about St. Louis and won't allow Mizzou to play SLU for whatever reason.

I'm aware of the success SIUC had. I'm also aware of how the bandwagon St. Louis media treated them so well and then when the program falls apart nothing but silence. I'm sorry, I don't really consider a southern Illinois team a local team.

I don't know that you're forced to listen to anything. As far as showing you, if you've paid attention the last couple of years you'd realize we have a good program that has had a lot of success, including a game away from the final four and an NCAA tournament appearance and win last year in what was really a rebuilding year. I believe we will have another successful year.

MUTGR.

First, my only comments about SIUC is to point out that they are another D1 team, with success, and are located in the same region. These past 10 years, I'd have to say that SIUC has been better than our Bills. I just would not call them pathetic. That's all.

Second, I never called SIUC a "local" team but if Mizzou refuses to play both SLU and MSU, then why not SIUC? Why not a team from Illinois which has been a Top 100 RPI team? Your own posts suggested that you play an Arkansas, Oklahoma and/or Kansas team. Those would not be "local" either. Not really following you.

Third, I agree with you about the local media's treatment of SIUC and the Valley school but understand alot of that is Doug Elgin and the media's desire to suck up to the Valley. Still, that doesn't explain why Mizzou won't play SLU or any Valley school on a regular basis. Why not play Creighton? Northern Iowa? Outside of the Big XII, you guys refuse to play ANY of the other better schools. I pointed out the other schools in both the Big XII and the Big 10 and still don't hear a response. Why?? Could it be that Mizzou is afraid? Does Mike Alden have something against not only SLU but also against MSU, SIUC, Creighton, N. Iowa, Tulsa, Oral Roberts, etc. Keep your games against G'Town and Illinois. If the rest of us are so bad, then why beat 1 of us every so often?

Fourth, you have had some real success under Anderson. I am not disputing that. You also a good run that first year with Quinn. In between, though, you guys were not good. SIUC, the pathetic team, would have blown you guys out and we (SLU) would have had some more good games with you guys.