is today first day of practice or next weekend?

my how the enthusiasm and information of our billikens have fallen. possibly (the fact we dont know this for sure is a story all on it's own) first day of practice and absolutely no buzz.

I agree there is no buzz right now. The past few years there has always been some news either good or bad new arena, firing coach, and hiring a big name coach. This season we have none of that and are being picked near the bottom of the A10. I don't think we will finish there. What happened to the bratwurst fest, mid-day madness, Blue Crew activities?

my how the enthusiasm and information of our billikens have fallen. possibly (the fact we dont know this for sure is a story all on it's own) first day of practice and absolutely no buzz.

It's next weekend. It's fairly easy to find out with all the big schools that have 'midnight' madness celebrations.

I've been pretty disappointed with coverage in general of the Billikens, but it's been especially bad since end of last season. I understand the lull over the summer, but a month before practices there should have been more coverage. Now with a week before practices there still is nothing and the one writer (TT) who actually 'covers' (which is debatable) the Bills hasn't written anything of substance.

I don't mean this as an insult, but I'm not really surprised with lack of buzz. It's the lukewarm response I've come to expect from a lot of Billiken fans.

Tip-off Club mtg Monday 6pm at Lorenzini's. Y'all show up and generate some enthusiasm!

There was a day when nearly all of our Billiken information came from the Post Dispatch/local rado. Now, if and when the Post provides any coverage, it is usually well after the news broke and has been discussed here on this Board. I still subscribe and try to read the paper each day but I must admit that I don't read the paper like I used to. With that said, did the Post cover the recent oral commitments by the Bills - the 2 Chicago kids? I honestly don't know. Would certainly have been front page of Sports if these 2 had been locals though. Lisch, Lidell and Polk sure brought alot of coverage. Locals are a good way to create buzz. Then again, I prefer 25 win seasons to create buzz.

This Board is great, SLU's web page is good, the marketing department is not good but does provide some info -- but the media -- TV, radio and newspaper -- is what is needed to get the message out to the rest of the fanbase. Without that, and until we win 25 games/year, there will be no buzz. Yes, if/when we win 25 games, then the media will be more interested... Guess it's like the chicken/egg concept.

There was a day when nearly all of our Billiken information came from the Post Dispatch/local rado. Now, if and when the Post provides any coverage, it is usually well after the news broke and has been discussed here on this Board. I still subscribe and try to read the paper each day but I must admit that I don't read the paper like I used to. With that said, did the Post cover the recent oral commitments by the Bills - the 2 Chicago kids? I honestly don't know. Would certainly have been front page of Sports if these 2 had been locals though. Lisch, Lidell and Polk sure brought alot of coverage. Locals are a good way to create buzz. Then again, I prefer 25 win seasons to create buzz.

The Post reported the Evans commitment. Although I looked for it, I coud not find the McCall commitment in the Post.

This Board is great, SLU's web page is good, the marketing department is not good but does provide some info -- but the media -- TV, radio and newspaper -- is what is needed to get the message out to the rest of the fanbase. Without that, and until we win 25 games/year, there will be no buzz. Yes, if/when we win 25 games, then the media will be more interested... Guess it's like the chicken/egg concept.

You are so right.

It is just a sign of the times. These days, so much of the news comes from the various resources available online. The old fashioned newspaper is dying because it literally cannot keep up with the current instant news cycle, so as a result the resources that used to provide in depth coverage of secondary sports like SLU are being cut back. The good news is that the online resources provide a depth of information that we could have only dreamed of 15 years ago.

When your program is predicted to be a rebuilding program, it makes it incumbent on the head coach to promote his team in the media. Instead, Coach Majerus shows utter disdain for the media - closing practice, talking down to the reporters, and basically, ignoring them. What do you expect in return?

By the way, these are not my opinions - ask any of the media members, and they will openly state these opinions. The only ones on the SLU side are Frank Cusamano and Bob Ramsey. The rest are turned off by the haughtiness of the face of the program. And, his personality isn't going to change, so don't expect that to happen.

When your program is predicted to be a rebuilding program, it makes it incumbent on the head coach to promote his team in the media. Instead, Coach Majerus shows utter disdain for the media - closing practice, talking down to the reporters, and basically, ignoring them. What do you expect in return?

By the way, these are not my opinions - ask any of the media members, and they will openly state these opinions. The only ones on the SLU side are Frank Cusamano and Bob Ramsey. The rest are turned off by the haughtiness of the face of the program. And, his personality isn't going to change, so don't expect that to happen.

We are not getting any basketball news from any of the mainstream sources now. Hell Mizzou basketball isn't getting press from them and they made the Elite Eight last year. Wait a few weaks and we will start hearing more from them. Majerus doesn't need to kiss ever media members ass in town. Like him or not, Bernie drives most of the sports conversation in this town. Bernie and Majerus are buds. We start strong we will receive all the attention we need.

-is this self analysis, directed at the head coach, the ath dept, other fans or somewhere else?

-my enthusiasm level has not declined at all

-information will be provided at the bclub mtg, the meet the team event and by nate

F$#^ YES.

I think last night's tip off club meeting mentioned CE not possibly coming till December. If that is in fact the case, that brings another whole set of uncertainties and questions.

I am very excited for this year, but I may not be different from most. I log on the board all the time and have been doing it a lot the last two months and I have been looking for one piece of information - is CE in school? When I log on and see no information, I get pretty deflated and often go back about my business.

As was mentioned in another thread, this may not be the right way to be looking at things. First off, it's not fair to the rest of the team. Secondly, if CE is not the player he has been hyped to be it could be disappointing.

There is a lot to look forward to. KM is his second season will be special. WR is his second season will be special. Finally getting to watch Femi will be great. CS and his tough defense should be a welcome surprise. A leaner, quicker Conklin will be great to watch.

I think many were very disappointed after last year and many believe this is yet another building year and if by chance CE does not play right away, it just makes this year more of a mystery. We are young and have talent and there will be even more incoming talent. But, as Billiken fans, we are so due for a fun and successful season, and the thought of that not coming till next year is frustrating to some.

I think this year will be fun and full of pleasant surprises. We may not rack up 23 wins, but I think it will be fun outperforming what many experts are picking us to finish.