rickma mentioned at cbssportsline.com

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy - before i opened the link i assumed it would be something negative. Otherwise, you wouldn't have posted it. What does it mean? This guy doesn't seem to like anyone who is "a meany" as he called O'Neill. Apparently, he prefers those coaches that are a bit more pleasant than the Majerus/Bobby Knight/Kevin O'Neill types. We have a mean coach. Who cares? At least people are paying attention to billiken basketball.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11877087

third sentence.

always good to get national publicity.

third sentence.

Am sure this made your day. I'm with you, Broy, let's bring back Mr. Nice Guy Soderberg and we can devote our offseason attention to discussing the merits of UB's latest late late late season signings like Obi Wan or Horace D. Or his early signing coups like DM.

third sentence.

I really never thought you'd be such a jackass Roy. I seem to recall Spoon being spurned by the jilted fans in Springfield after leaving them for SLU. Only a Jackass would throw a USC commentator's dislike of Majerus in our faces given his history there.

third sentence.

Roy, your act is growing old. OK, we get it, you don't like RM, but just because you don't like RM, doesn't mean that he is a bad person. Hey, there are plenty of people that don't like you, does that mean you are bad perosn also? I don't understand how the suppossed biggest bill fan, continues to undermine the program you reportedly care so much about. Roy, I've talked to a few of the Billiken players, and while they admit he is tough, they also know that this is the man, who is going to turn them and this program in to a winner. Try a little tolerance Roy, it would do you some good.

Only a Jackass would throw a USC commentator's dislike of Majerus in our faces given his history there.

rich, Gregg Doyel is not a "usc commentator". he is a national columnist for CBS sportsline.com.

Here's this writer's bio on cbs. sounds like a real high class journalist.

You dislike me. That's OK. That's why you're here, right? You were reading something I wrote and you simply had to know: Who is this knucklehead?

This knucklehead is 39. Yeah, I look younger. But I'm not. I've worked for the Tampa Tribune, Miami Herald and Charlotte Observer. Once worked for ESPN.com. They asked me, not the other way around. And I left ESPN.com in 2003 for CBSSports.com.

This knucklehead graduated from Florida. So I'm a Gator homer? Don't think so. Read this and tell me I'm a Florida homer.

Basically, take what you think you know about me -- your assumptions about the typical sports writer -- and start over. I really am that unbiased, I really am that athletic, and I really will beat you up. I started boxing at 36, had four amateur fights and won all four (three knockouts), and then retired because the pros I spar with kept breaking my nose. So I take it back: Maybe you can beat me up.

But only if you're a pro boxer.

And a good one.

But enough about you.

My likes: Chuck Palahniuk, when he's on. Esquire. Eminem. Tupac. Sparring. That stud Matt Taibbi. Dogs.

Dislikes: Chuck Palahniuk, when he's off. Sports Illustrated. Beastie Boys. Kanye. Surfing. That idiot George Will. People.

rich, Gregg Doyel is not a "usc commentator". he is a national columnist for CBS sportsline.com.

My little brother would call that guy a "doucher". Or maybe even a "TurboDoucher®". Of course, he's called me that, too. But enough about you.

My likes: Eating broken glass. Doing burnout sets on my front porch where everyone can see. Pitbulls. THE OCTAGON

Dislikes: Eating unbroken glass. Feelings. Old people. Chick ######. [subconsciousMode]Myself and my place in the world.[/subconsciousMode]

- Gregg Doyel

Here's this writer's bio on cbs. sounds like a real high class journalist.

You dislike me. That's OK. That's why you're here, right? You were reading something I wrote and you simply had to know: Who is this knucklehead?

This knucklehead is 39. Yeah, I look younger. But I'm not. I've worked for the Tampa Tribune, Miami Herald and Charlotte Observer. Once worked for ESPN.com. They asked me, not the other way around. And I left ESPN.com in 2003 for CBSSports.com.

This knucklehead graduated from Florida. So I'm a Gator homer? Don't think so. Read this and tell me I'm a Florida homer.

Basically, take what you think you know about me -- your assumptions about the typical sports writer -- and start over. I really am that unbiased, I really am that athletic, and I really will beat you up. I started boxing at 36, had four amateur fights and won all four (three knockouts), and then retired because the pros I spar with kept breaking my nose. So I take it back: Maybe you can beat me up.

But only if you're a pro boxer.

And a good one.

But enough about you.

My likes: Chuck Palahniuk, when he's on. Esquire. Eminem. Tupac. Sparring. That stud Matt Taibbi. Dogs.

Dislikes: Chuck Palahniuk, when he's off. Sports Illustrated. Beastie Boys. Kanye. Surfing. That idiot George Will. People.

So I guess his problem with Majerus is that he's a horrible person "away from the TV cameras," while Gregg Doyel's a horrible person right there in his bio for all to see.

And he does look 39.

What a douchebag. He's got no credibility unless you happen to wear Affliction shirts.

-i can believe roy would post an article with someone's opinion that rick is mean, i understand roy does not like rick

-what i can't believe is that roy would post an article that would have such bad things to say about UB as the following taken from the article must also be a reference to UB in addition to the new usc coach, isn't it?

Really good high school recruits don't pick a school because they want to play defense. They pick a school because they want to score. They pick a school because they like the offense, and because they like the head coach.

you all need to reread my two posts in this thread. all i did was post that rickma was mentioned and then i corrected rich that the cbs columnist was not a usc person.

please show where i editorialized negatively.

you all need to reread my two posts in this thread. all i did was post that rickma was mentioned and then i corrected rich that the cbs columnist was not a usc person.

please show where i editorialized negatively.

Roy, I rarely post and have generally supported your opinions in the past. But, I agree, it's getting really old my friend...and quite childish at this point.

Roy, I rarely post and have generally supported your opinions in the past. But, I agree, it's getting really old my friend...and quite childish at this point.

again, i didnt make the comment. your arrows should be on gregg doyel on this one not me. i am only the messenger.

when mcglotherirvin posted the jeff gordon comments a few weeks back here at billikens.com with a link to gordon's quotes, no one attacked mcglotherirvin. i think had i went into a tirade agreeing with doyel, you all would have a point. i did not.

again, i didnt make the comment. your arrows should be on gregg doyel on this one not me. i am only the messenger.

when mcglotherirvin posted the jeff gordon comments a few weeks back here at billikens.com with a link to gordon's quotes, no one attacked mcglotherirvin. i think had i went into a tirade agreeing with doyel, you all would have a point. i did not.

Broy...bottom line, the point of your posts is obvious - you don't like Rickma and would love to see him fail. You may be right in your distaste... but, his failing just means the Billikens fail. I sure don't want to see that and I'd sure like to think that you don't want that either. The stuff that you spew sure doesn't help. Is it necessary to keep up this drumbeat? Give it up already. It's too bad that you and Slumn1 are now looked at the same way.

I think it's admirable that Billiken Roy is standing by his principles and refuses to want to win at "all" costs. In the past, I have disagreed with Roy's extremely high standard for program success. In fact, I still do in that I'm practical in realizing that to be successful in college basketball often means sacrificing a pristine image.

Of course, I do not support college programs that break rules, which is why I stopped supporting Quin when it became apparent that his assistants regularly break rules. It also gives me pause when I read about Majerus and his questionable dealings at Utah. Also while Bobby Knight has run a clean and successful program, I do not like coaches with huge egos, who feel they have to embarrass their players publicly to get their points across. I don't see much of a difference between Knight and Majerus in this department. You can be tough and hard-nosed with your kids behind closed doors, but I draw the line beyond that.

What I see with Billiken Roy, is a dedicated booster, whose heart is broken after seeing SLU lose its moral compass all in the name of being a successful top-tier program. He wanted SLU to be different than the other programs.

I don't post much (because honestly I don't have the time to with work and family) but read the Board quite often. While I used to diagree with lots of what Roy said, I always respected his opinions since there was no doubt he just wanted to see the Billikens succeed. All of this has gone out of the window and now I think Roy has just become a joke on this Board. He threatened to leave the Board and not post again but he always comes back and now it is obvious that all he wants to see is Majerus fail as our coach as he never says a positive thing about him. I will never seriously read Roy's posts again and I know many others feel the same way I do. If all you want to do is complain just stay off the Board and let others discuss Billiken basketball as many of us are very excited about what the future might hold.

I think it's admirable that Billiken Roy is standing by his principles and refuses to want to win at "all" costs. In the past, I have disagreed with Roy's extremely high standard for program success. In fact, I still do in that I'm practical in realizing that to be successful in college basketball often means sacrificing a pristine image.

Of course, I do not support college programs that break rules, which is why I stopped supporting Quin when it became apparent that his assistants regularly break rules. It also gives me pause when I read about Majerus and his questionable dealings at Utah. Also while Bobby Knight has run a clean and successful program, I do not like coaches with huge egos, who feel they have to embarrass their players publicly to get their points across. I don't see much of a difference between Knight and Majerus in this department. You can be tough and hard-nosed with your kids behind closed doors, but I draw the line beyond that.

What I see with Billiken Roy, is a dedicated booster, whose heart is broken after seeing SLU lose its moral compass all in the name of being a successful top-tier program. He wanted SLU to be different than the other programs.

AJ. Excellent post. BRoy IS and REMAINS a dedicated booster and I, too, believe that Roy has had his heart broken. If he were not a dedicated booster, he would have simply gone away and not cared. The trouble, though, is that the rest of us dedicated boosters, for better or worse, have accepted RM and moved on and this topic can therefore be frustrating and can "get old" to the rest of us dedicated boosters. RM has been on the job for over 2 years and there has been no let up and there is no change in sight.

The Mom & Pop days (except in the Athletic and Marketing departments) are over. So too are the cheap tickets and lack of any need to donate. Maybe the pendelum RM is swinging too far the other way now, but I'll review later on with the benefit of hindsight. For now, I am supporting our head coach just like I will his successor and am enjoying the incredible back to back recruiting classes I have longed for since the late 1970's. Our best days are just ahead. :lol:

Broy...bottom line, the point of your posts is obvious - you don't like Rickma and would love to see him fail. You may be right in your distaste... but, his failing just means the Billikens fail. I sure don't want to see that and I'd sure like to think that you don't want that either. The stuff that you spew sure doesn't help. Is it necessary to keep up this drumbeat? Give it up already. It's too bad that you and Slumn1 are now looked at the same way.

YEP! Both are on IGNORE! :lol:

when i posted the gordon comments, i noted in the post that i thought gordon was out of line. i just wanted people to read it.

when you posted this link, everyone on the board knows you were at your computer smiling at the fact some sportswriter agrees with you.