Who would you rather have as your power forward?

davidnark

Varner was clearly head and shoulders better than the other two.

Isn't that really sad? I remember thinking when Varner graduated and Newborne committed that going forward we will only improve at the power forward position. I thought that same thing when Newborne graduated. God our power forward recruiting was terrible under Romar and Soderberg.

Isn't that really sad? I remember thinking when Varner graduated and Newborne committed that going forward we will only improve at the power forward position. I thought that same thing when Newborne graduated. God our power forward recruiting was terrible under Romar and Soderberg.

Thank the Lord we have Conklin to watch grown into a true poward forward. Too bad he was slowed by a stomach virus for the game.

I hope Barry earns any minutes he gets.

Is there a Door Number Four? Please tell me there is a Door Number Four. Even though I know there is not.

Given the options, count me in the group that selects Varner. Varner followed Romar ala Fisher, did he not? Again, I have absolutely zero or even negative confidence in the recently deposed regime to properly evaluate recruits and talent. I'm reminting all my money to read "In Rick I Trust." Its all I got.

As for our last light's out shooter ---- was that Jeff Luechtefeld? Was he after the Claggs team? I can't recall. Was JLove considered a shooter? The Legend was a creator and still can't shoot in my book, even in the NBA. Oops, Luch was before the Claggs teams having graduated in 1991 with Claggs out in 1995.

Between Claggs and Hughes do we count Cobbin? So Hughes is there in 1998, Love for 99 and 00. Deiner comes in from 99 through 03. Perry is there the same amount of time. Reggie Bryant was good, but light's out? Doubt it. Fisher graduates in 04. Drejaj is out after 05. Which brings us to the current roster when Lisch and Liddell were freshmen and Liddell has never been seen (in my book) as an outside shooter. And Lisch is having problems right now.

My vote for last light's out shooter(s) was the senior group of Claggett, Highmark, Waldman and Carl Turner. That was 13 years ago. Power forward? Jeff Harris. Then before him, Bonner. Both played out of position as centers. Harris was the consummate warrior --- I remember his last game against Cincy in CUSA tournament actually held in St. Louis that year. Huggins even hugged him as he fouled out. Never had enough on the team to help him out. Still looks like he'd be great back in uniform. Saw him in Atlantic City two tourneys ago.

So the player history mimicks that of the team history ---- sparse and pathetic. Only one way to go.

Oh my.....

Barry, Ross and Vashon? I have to go with Ross but that only says how sad we been at the PF position for the past decade. Ross at least played with a lot of heart and made a shot once and while.

On the plus side, what I have seen of Conklin I really like. By his sophomore year he will be regularly putting in double/double performances.

Varner, hands down. He could hit the occasional open shot, even though he was cold pretty much his whole senior year. He had that game-winning shot against Washington when we played them at Savvis and his whole family was in the crowd, the one game they came in from Utah for that year. He also set the hardest screens of any SLU player I can remember.

If there were an All-American practice team, Varner would be on it. He never missed a shot, played tenacious defense, and rolled out of his punishing screens to hit jumpers. I don't know why that didn't translate into games, though. He was also an outstanding guy to have around- nice to a fault, never negative, 4.0 student (a company paid for his Stanford MBA straight out of SLU).

I have never seen what Newbourne or Eberhardt bring to the table for us.

I would have to go with Varner because he is the lesser of the evils. I have never seen someone try boxing out by facing his man with his arms up and not jumping until I saw Barry last night, its like hes never played ball before.

Help is on the way with Conklin being a consisent double double type player for the next few years and also there is an Australian PF visiting this month who is suppose to be the real deal and the best player in Australia, SLU is trying to get him to sign in the spring.

the truth of the matter, is had eberhardt provided us with even decent minutes in our four loss games, we could have won at least two if not more of them. eberhardt has been a tremendous disappointment. last night i was embarrassed for him he was that inept.

the truth of the matter, is had eberhardt provided us with even decent minutes in our four loss games, we could have won at least two if not more of them. eberhardt has been a tremendous disappointment. last night i was embarrassed for him he was that inept.

Couldnt agree more. Roy, not to change the subject but how bad was that charge call on Lisch last night! my god, if I was there I might of went on the court and tackled the ref.

Couldnt agree more. Roy, not to change the subject but how bad was that charge call on Lisch last night! my god, if I was there I might of went on the court and tackled the ref.

i think they called four charges on us and all four we had made the shot. i thought all four were wrong by far. that is a 12 point swing right there.

I agree completely - I would pick Ross and I also would never have thought that would come out of my mouth. By the way, Jeff L was well before Claggs.

i think they called four charges on us and all four we had made the shot. i thought all four were wrong by far. that is a 12 point swing right there.

Actually it is potentially more than 12 points because you end up not getting anything and loosing the ball with no points. Where the potential for more points swing comes is if they go down and score. I understand that they could do that anyway but really it becomes the the loss of 3 points and their score of 2 so you have a 5 point swing if that happens.

By the way, how do you let SIU get open for a three with them inbound the ball with only 1 second left - that nearly did me in - cover somebody!! get a hand up !! yell in his face!!

I know Barry has been frustrating, but let's not rewrite history. Varner had seasons of 3.5 ppg, 1.5 ppg and 2.3 ppg; Newbourne had 3.8 ppg and 2.8 ppg... Last year Barry averaged 6 ppg, 3.8 rpg. We are not exactly debating all-conferene type players here, but Barry is the best of a weak bunch.

I know Barry has been frustrating, but let's not rewrite history. Varner had seasons of 3.5 ppg, 1.5 ppg and 2.3 ppg; Newbourne had 3.8 ppg and 2.8 ppg... Last year Barry averaged 6 ppg, 3.8 rpg. We are not exactly debating all-conferene type players here, but Barry is the best of a weak bunch.

Rasheed Malik