Transfers?

Majerus sure had some bad predictions. Between Manning and the NBA, Barnett and all-conference, and Keith Carter being his best guard since Andre Miller (Carter is fine and is missed on this team, but he's nowhere near that good) it's hard to rank them all.

He did say we'd be a top 10 team and for one week he was right...

I don't believe RM really believed a lot of the things he said. Sure, he rambled a lot in interviews, but I also think a lot of what he said was for a purpose. He played a lot of mind games to motivate his current players. If you noticed, he had a habit of talking up the incoming recruits. He really talked up Barnett during his redshirt season. Once Barnett became eligible, RM stopped hyping him up so much. He called Keith Carter the best point guard he had recruited at SLU. At the time, I didn't believe he really meant it. He built up Carter at a time when he had KM, JJ and MM on the roster. In fact, I seem to also recall that he said something along the lines that MM was going to be a little better version of KM. And regarding Manning, I believe he built him up to keep RL motivated. Regarding which player had the most potential to make the NBA, I think RM knew that it was really RL, but sometimes a young RL did not really have the ideal intensity. I suspect folks who really followed Utah hoops during RM's time there could probably tell similar stories of the Majerus hyping up recently signed recruits. There probably was a marginal guard who was going to challenge Andre Miller or some stiff who was going to be a threat to Van Horne.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the feel around this board and the program right now, the real question might be who WON'T transfer (or be rumored to transfer)?

Here's another twist on the question ... who would you absolutely, positively, can't-live-without want to keep? And let's leave Yarbrough and Roby out of this for now.

Ready ................... GO!

Given the feel around this board and the program right now, the real question might be who WON'T transfer (or be rumored to transfer)?

Here's another twist on the question ... who would you absolutely, positively, can't-live-without want to keep? And let's leave Yarbrough and Roby out of this for now.

Well we know Jett will transfer

Any of the freshman guards would be extremely tough to handle. Maybe even moreso than Yarbrough.

I happened to catch a bit of Washington State and UCLA over the weekend. They had a big who looked really good - named Josh Hawkinson. He is averaging 14 points, 10 rebounds as a sophomore, after averaging just 1.2 ppg as a freshman on a bad Washington State team. Talk about a Conklin summer! It got my attention because the kid was in the same recruiting class as Tanner Lancona at Washington State. I guess Bone kicked the right big to the curb. It looked like the kid's other top offers were San Diego and Santa Clara.

Tanner.......Bronson

Tanner.......Bronson

Is the shine coming off of a guy like Tanner Bronson a bit? I know he has been considered JC's right hand man which at this point can't be considered a good thing. I am assuming he is the strategy guy of the staff because I doubt his mouthbreathing look plays well on the recruiting trail.

Stop it. No way we should be speculating names of players who might transfer.

Sure, it is now apparent by the lack of effort (especially on D) that there are players who are on their way out, one way or another. And that affects the rest of the team to some extent, in this case maybe to a large extent. Blown out at home to George Mason tells us all of that.

But throwing names out there on this board is not appropriate if you are a true Billiken fan.

Stop it. No way we should be speculating names of players who might transfer.

Sure, it is now apparent by the lack of effort (especially on D) that there are players who are on their way out, one way or another. And that affects the rest of the team to some extent, in this case maybe to a large extent. Blown out at home to George Mason tells us all of that.

But throwing names out there on this board is not appropriate if you are a true Billiken fan.

Why not? What is a "true fan" anyway? We have paid the tuition and support the team with our $$$ and ticket sales, why can we not speculate? Who does it harm? If student athletes are lobbying to be PAID then why shouldn't criticism and speculation come along with that? This is part of the stuff that makes sports fun

This year was handled badly. Without Tanner Bronson Crews was dysfunctional.

If Cheaney is not the new head coach I worry he would take ML with him

TL and AM were not handled correctly for the talent they showed last year.

The guards were not taught how to pass to the Bigs this exacerbated the not so good hands of Manning and Agbeko. It is possible to throw quickly without knocking someone over.

TL can see the court and pass from high post possession as well as AG maybe better due to upper body strength. AM is a shooting guard. MC is a shooting guard. AY got tons of minutes and has a very low field goal percentage considering it was mostly lay ups.

The team lacked leadership on the court and on the bench. AM and TL could have provided a lot of that.

When isn't the board ridiculous?

Fans should be able to say what they want (within reason). If players have a problem with any criticism or speculation, they can give us reason not to criticize or speculate or they can stop worrying about what fans think and worry about their own game and winning.

RA is old school and so are his people so I do not expect the kid will move on. Its got nothing to do with age just that he has learned alot and will stay the course to continue growing in the game. If anything he will play for his teammates even if this staff keep mishandling him and his development. I am confident the RA that steps on the floor next season will be a force to be reckoned with.

After fighting through a tough rehab of his right arm and getting where he is experiencing some setbacks along the way I just do not see such a move being made. If RA stayed after his recruiter Whitesell left then that says alot about the type of young man he is. Thats my 2 cents!

If they want to transfer after a little adversity ... I'd say good riddance. However, it seems silly to speculate a specific player might leave due to being disciplined and sitting for 10 minutes or for not starting enough games or whatever ... no one here knows what is being said at practice or to the player privately.

I love MY .. but his defensive findamentals, positioning, and effort leave alot to be desired. If he's been given proper instruction and he's not getting it due to effort or focus and he's the type player that can't deal with a coach sitting him or disciplining him ... then he's better off elsewhere as is every other player with the same attitude. I'm not at all saying that is MY ... in fact I believe he's probably tough enough and wants to improve enough to take the lesson and get better over time.

Speculating on transfers is nothing more than that unless you have inside info. It's actually insulting to the player to assume he's too weak to handle the situation

There is no reason for any freshman to leave they all got more chances than they would have elsewhere

We are not giving PT to bums. All these kids deserve the PT they get and have the talent to play at this level. SLU is not doing them a favor. If we did not give them that PT another program would.

We are not giving PT to bums. All these kids deserve the PT they get and have the talent to play at this level. SLU is not doing them a favor. If we did not give them that PT another program would.

I assume he meant that most other schools have decent upperclassmen and PT for a freshman would be rare unless they are McDonalds all American types

I assume he meant that most other schools have decent upperclassmen and PT for a freshman would be rare unless they are McDonalds all American types

True that. Yeh...we really twisted that concept this season didn't we.

If any player gets insulted by me or any of us speculating that they may transfer, then I apologize. But I also stand by my statement that all of our players have more to worry about than what any of us are talking about. And if they don't like the negativity or speculation than they can prove us wrong. I would love to sit here and look like an idiot and be proven wrong.