Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

10 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Perception is reality.  Risk versus reward.  Beat writers should be as factual and near neutral as possible.  Opinion columnists can do the nerve-poking work.  That happened here with Durando versus Ortiz.  You need a Burwell or Strauss or BenFred or Gordon to jump on this subject with that vein.

Perfectly stated, Taj. Good to see a fellow Phi Kap on top of things this morning.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stu's refusal to even acknowledge Frank's reports are more what I was talking about. A retweet is not an endorsement. Putting one of those quotes in his beat is not an endorsement. It's sharing the facts of the case as we know them. If he really wants to be neutral about it, he can go talk to that lawyer of the woman who released a statement and get something from her too. If she declines, Stu can mention it. I'm afraid the PD is being used by SLU in this situation.

14 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Perception is reality.  Risk versus reward.  Beat writers should be as factual and near neutral as possible.  Opinion columnists can do the nerve-poking work.  That happened here with Durando versus Ortiz.  You need a Burwell or Strauss or BenFred or Gordon to jump on this subject with that vein.

Burwell would be all over this, no doubt.  I am hoping that BenFred is actually doing what a journalist is supposed to do and is talking to Mr. Goodwin, trying to talk to the lawyers and whoever else he can so he can write a well informed piece.  Not like the garbage that Ortiz did where he made up a scenario in his mind and changes the facts to try and fit it.  

8 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Burwell would be all over this, no doubt.  I am hoping that BenFred is actually doing what a journalist is supposed to do and is talking to Mr. Goodwin, trying to talk to the lawyers and whoever else he can so he can write a well informed piece.  Not like the garbage that Ortiz did where he made up a scenario in his mind and changes the facts to try and fit it.  

I just sent an email to Ben (because I am a sucker), so yea, hopefully he will listen to Frank’s segment. RFT suggestion isn’t a bad one 

What I have found interesting in this entire case is the LACK of any coverage outside the general St. Louis media market.  The news of the Goodwin suspension right now is only mentioned in two places --- CBS Sports and the Chicago Tribune.  The Tribune has puled a Belleville News-Democrat story so I'm not really sure how to count that.  There isn't even a pregnant hiccup mention of it on ESPN. 

Here's another extrapolation I don't get ----- four basketball players accused of rape/sexual assault.  Goodwin cleared but suspended.  There is identity #1.  In all other articles, no other names are "blatantly" identified but mention is made about Graves leaving school, Henriquez signing with an agent, and then third references to non-playing team member Bishop.  Is that not naming names?  And I get why its done --- it's simple math and deduction by obvious subtraction/absence.  So, without it being said, the perception ergo the reality is then that Henrtiquez, Graves and Bishop were all found guilty of sexual assault and suspended/expelled because no further explanation is offered.  How else do you explain it? 

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Where have all the Title IX people been lately? I missed when they read the board and one or two of the would work up enough courage to create an account and post. Also looking forward to the next sexual assault survey that they try to do.

Forgot about our triggered button ha. Maybe if we compiled everything someone at Deadspin would take a crack at it. At least we know they’ve hammered Ortiz before 

Pestello and the rest of the administration want this all to blow over now, and they will win if it does because then the damage to their reputations and job security will be minimal. 

That cannot be allowed to happen. We need to get some national investigative journalists involved because apparently our local media is too weak to dig into the corruption with this case. We need to be emailing people from the Washington Post, The Atlantic, etc...

5 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Pestello and the rest of the administration want this all to blow over now, and they will win if it does because then the damage to their reputations and job security will be minimal. 

That cannot be allowed to happen. We need to get some national investigative journalists involved because apparently our local media is too weak to dig into the corruption with this case. We need to be emailing people from the Washington Post, The Atlantic, etc...

At what point does doing something like this hurt the players and ford? I get the anger and desire and I want Pestello and Weathers as well as any other influential professors involved to pay for this with their jobs but I don’t want to see the hard working men of this basketball team and future players to suffer because of those administrators. 

willie likes this

49 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Except your theory seems to be wrong from the comments from the accuser's lawyer.  Rosenblum said everything was out in the open video/picture wise and the girls lawyer then was basically confirming this by saying realizing you are being filmed is not the same as giving consent to film.  This was a group sex act and there was a camera broken out. If you want to blame the players for participating in group sex fine but then you have to blame the girls the exact same way and how you arrive at kicking them off campus and accusing them of making the campus dangerous as Ortiz implied in his article is beyond me. Yes, the article you linked it does sound weird to record it secretly in case of being accused of rape but that doesn't seem to apply at all in this case from reading the accuser's statement.  

You don't have a problem with the outcome even though one of the girls told the hearing officer that Goodwin wasn't involved and she used "process of elimination" to determine he was and then you don't have a problem with Ortiz basically accusing the kid of extending the investigation to play (which again he never knew he was investigated from Frank) and being a danger to the campus?  

Perhaps they knew it was being filmed but when they heard it was shared they freaked out. They weren't sure how to handle it so they used words like rape or sexual assault to get admin/authorities attention.

37 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

It may need to be the Riverfront Times.

I tried to contact Fenske a couple of times at the end of December about the case.  I never heard back from her.  Maybe now that some involved are are talking there will be more interest.  I think Mr Reed being more than willing to go on the record is why they dug into S1.

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

At what point does doing something like this hurt the players and ford? I get the anger and desire and I want Pestello and Weathers as well as any other influential professors involved to pay for this with their jobs but I don’t want to see the hard working men of this basketball team and future players to suffer because of those administrators. 

I care more about the 4 lives that this administration ruined than I do about the success of our basketball team. 

Bobby Metzinger and SLU_Lax like this

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

There's nothing new, so I'm not going to post it. Not being a jerk - there's literally nothing new. It discusses what we know:

• Investigation is now over
  • Quotes Goodwin
  • Says Bishop, Henriquez, and Graves have left
  • Ends with this (although it seems Goodwin is staying):

It remains unclear if there will be further fallout or if Goodwin will ultimately decide to transfer, The Billikens (14-12, 7-6) will be dressing only seven scholarship players when they next play, Saturday at Richmond.

“We’re going to need everyone to step up,” coach Travis Ford said.

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

There's nothing new, so I'm not going to post it. Not being a jerk - there's literally nothing new. It discusses what we know:

• Investigation is now over
  • Quotes Goodwin
  • Says Bishop, Henriquez, and Graves have left
  • Ends with this (although it seems Goodwin is staying):

It remains unclear if there will be further fallout or if Goodwin will ultimately decide to transfer, The Billikens (14-12, 7-6) will be dressing only seven scholarship players when they next play, Saturday at Richmond.

“We’re going to need everyone to step up,” coach Travis Ford said.

Thanks was really just curious if they had picked up anything from Frank

6 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Bernie doesn't like Travis Ford. 

Bernie is also the worst radio host I've ever heard, so I'm not sure how you are listening. 

Normally listen to Podcasts in the morning but wanted to hear some local takes on s2. 

I'm not a big fan of Bernie but he does have the highest rated sports show in the area. He also has a lot more listeners than this board has readers. So he just put an awful take out there that a lot of people are going to run with. 

It's not about whether he is good or bad it about putting uninformed info out there.

If he is going to cover this he should have done some homework on the entire situation. If he didn't want to put in the work he should have left it alone.

A lot of people dislike Bernie but unfortunately a lot more still respect his opinion and he just put out some shi*** ones.

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Normally listen to Podcasts in the morning but wanted to hear some local takes on s2. 

I'm not a big fan of Bernie but he does have the highest rated sports show in the area. He also has a lot more listeners than this board has readers. So he just put an awful take out there that a lot of people are going to run with. 

It's not about whether he is good or bad it about putting uninformed info out there.

If he is going to cover this he should have done some homework on the entire situation. If he didn't want to put in the work he should have left it alone.

A lot of people dislike Bernie but unfortunately a lot more still respect his opinion and he just put out some shi*** ones.

If the average newspaper reader has a sixth grade vocabulary, it terrifies me to try to grasp what sort of comprehension a radio listener has. Bernie's perfect medium. 

I'll hang up and listen to your response, Larry. 

14 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I care more about the 4 lives that this administration ruined than I do about the success of our basketball team. 

This is fair and I agree to a point. But what’s done is done and there’s no going back. Pestello, Weathers et al deserve to burn for this, but i think where I’m coming from is that I just don’t want to see any more collateral damage caused by those people.

billiken_roy, ACE and JohnnyJumpUp like this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is fair and I agree to a point. But what’s done is done and there’s no going back. Pestello, Weathers et al deserve to burn for this, but i think where I’m coming from is that I just don’t want to see any more collateral damage caused by those people.

If that's the price we have to pay, then so be it. I would feel bad for the players, athletic department, etc. But this can't happen again. Not just to the basketball players or athletes, but to any students on SLU's campus. Heads have to roll and if that requires SLU taking an absolute beating, then bring it on. If nobody fights this, it's going to happen again. 

brianstl likes this

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Perhaps they knew it was being filmed but when they heard it was shared they freaked out. They weren't sure how to handle it so they used words like rape or sexual assault to get admin/authorities attention.

This is what I have thought the whole time.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

If the average newspaper reader has a sixth grade vocabulary, it terrifies me to try to grasp what sort of comprehension a radio listener has. Bernie's perfect medium. 

I'll hang up and listen to your response, Larry. 

It doesn't really matter. Bernie has turned into a condescending a** but he still has a large following.  He is still a large part of the St. Louis sports scene.

It doesn't matter how awful he is at his job when so many people still believe whatever he says.

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

If that's the price we have to pay, then so be it. I would feel bad for the players, athletic department, etc. But this can't happen again. Not just to the basketball players or athletes, but to any students on SLU's campus. Heads have to roll and if that requires SLU taking an absolute beating, then bring it on. If nobody fights this, it's going to happen again. 

The "how" of that is what I don't comprehend, SLUfan13. Just how is this going to happen? The literal BOT's of the Board of Trustees are obviously soul-less, clueless and will defend King Pestello just to keep their seats on the court. If you have the textbook on how we'll see DuBourg Hall become some sort of Jacobin wasteland, I'd like to see it on here. 

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

I really thought I would be able to move on pretty quickly once there was a conclusion.  So much for that.

I am probably more pissed off now than I have been at any point prior. Every fear I had about people labeling four young innocent black men sexual predators for the rest of their lives is coming true.  It is just disgusting.  A half wit columnist has played upon some of the worst stereotypes in our society in article that will live on the internet forever sliming the players.

I was starting to recover, and then I saw the interview with the Goodwins.  The pain that they're experiencing was palpable.  It made my heart hurt.

NH likes this