Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

5 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'm pretty sure Sheltie was saying there should be (in fact it's the second word of his post), but we all know (based on what Ortiz has published in social media) that we won't see that.

No I understand. Depends on his intended use for the word.. is he’s saying they should do it or he’s hearing that they will and it should be in tomorrow’s paper 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

No I understand. Depends on his intended use for the word.. is he’s saying they should do it or he’s hearing that they will and it should be in tomorrow’s paper 

Yeah, I get what you're saying.  I just infer "I think we better see a retraction tomorrow," not "Sources tell me we can expect to see a retraction tomorrow."  I could be wrong, but the thing that makes me think it's just Sheltie opining rather than announcing is the "page 1" thing.  The Post runs retractions/corrections on Pg. 2.

Edited by Quality Is Job 1

10 minutes ago, dlarry said:

This f'ing guy needs to go.

I

He's never going to admit he got anything wrong, and he's setting himself up to play the victim card, himself.

I'm sure he got many reasonably-worded corrections of his errors, but he'll never acknowledge them.  In his mind Goodwin is rapist who is getting away with it because he's a local star.  That's the narrative he's convinced himself of, and no evidence will change his mind.

I guess he was marching arm-in-arm with Katherine Weathers during the last march.

5 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

He's never going to admit he got anything wrong, and he's setting himself up to play the victim card, himself.

I'm sure he got many reasonably-worded corrections of his errors, but he'll never acknowledge them.  In his mind Goodwin is rapist who is getting away with it because he's a local star.  That's the narrative he's convinced himself of, and no evidence will change his mind.

I guess he was marching arm-in-arm with Katherine Weathers during the last march.

No doubt. I knew as soon as a person or two said something about deporting him, that would be the storyline. Meanwhile, well written and thought out emails like the one from Roy and SShoe will get completely ignored. He’s now the victim/survivor in this episode.

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That guy doesn’t deserve to get paid.  He needs to be the one paying up.

No doubt, just brainstorming with the rest of the Sanhedrin. Who will be our Pontius?! 

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

No doubt. I knew as soon as a person or two said something about deporting him, that would be the storyline. Meanwhile, well written and thought out emails like the one from Roy and SShoe will get completely ignored. He’s now the victim in this episode.

Those slinging mud about deportation certainly aren't helping.  That's flat-out ridiculous.  Completely takes the attention away from the subject of the debate.  Stay on topic people (statement not addressed to KShoe or anyone on this board)!

14 minutes ago, dlarry said:

This f'ing guy needs to go.

I

Anyone that knows how to persuade wouldn't say morons, would have said received thoughtful e-mails from the other side of the argument.  Anyone that is fair understands the deportation was tongue and cheek but he chose to be outraged which proves he knows he is wrong and feeling aukward after the Goodwin's interview with Frank.  This is really blowing up on this guy and the PD.

I was opining, but I figured there would be little exerted pressure if we did not start a push here. SLU has no large profile on the Post D forums.

Channel 5 has shown how to get the information, skimpy as it currently is, both correct and released in a concise and disciplined order, without a spin.

You never write an opinion piece by first disclosing gross incompetence in getting the pertinent facts wrong.

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

Anyone that knows how to persuade wouldn't say morons, would have said received thoughtful e-mails from the other side of the argument.  Anyone that is fair understands the deportation was tongue and cheek but he chose to be outraged which proves he knows he is wrong and feeling aukward after the Goodwin's interview with Frank.  This is really blowing up on this guy and the PD.

I guarantee you he thought he was going to be universally praised for his article

2 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I don’t think he “knows” he is wrong at all. I think he will use the 2 ignorant emails as proof that SLU people are ignorant and will completely ignore the countless well reasoned emails he received today.

It’s somewhat human nature but someone like Ortiz is likely worse than most. Anybody that can write an article like he did today has no basis in reality so the idea that he would come to his senses after watching goodwins interview seems highly unlikely.

My wife just brought up the article when I got home from work. She agreed with everything that has been said here, but she also brought up an interesting point. She said, "If I were Carte'are Gordon, I'd also be pissed that I'm referenced in this article. It is almost as if he's implying that Gordon is a young man of questionable character that expects to receive special treatment. This implication was likely made despite the fact that Ortiz hasn't ever spoken to Carte'are Gordon." I'm sharing this because I thought it was an interesting take from a less interested third party who read the article.

This article does not have any redeeming qualities. It is not even well-written. A city's newspaper is viewed as an authoritative voice for the city. In order for the Post Dispatch to remain legitimate in the eyes of its readers, it must remedy this situation. As an institution, they should be ashamed by the lack of journalistic integrity displayed by Ortiz. They should also be ashamed that they hired somebody that, quite frankly, lacks strong writing skills. This abomination features a 52-word one-sentence paragraph presenting a blatant lie as fact while espousing the baseless theory that the basketball program was part of a larger conspiracy to hide criminal activity. Simple research would have helped Ortiz realize that the only conspiracy here was committed by SLU's Administration and Title IX office. Jordan Goodwin and the other players are the victims in this situation.

CBFan likes this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I guarantee you he thought he was going to be universally praised for his article

I agree he was too stupid to know that Jordan's got a good family and the power of their words today made him smaller than when he wrote that piece of garbage I promise to show all the interview with Frank and the Goodwin's so everyone knows and will counter the liars.

9 minutes ago, SouthSide_Billiken said:

My wife just brought up the article when I got home from work. She agreed with everything that has been said here, but she also brought up an interesting point. She said, "If I were Carte'are Gordon, I'd also be pissed that I'm referenced in this article. It is almost as if he's implying that Gordon is a young man of questionable character that expects to receive special treatment. This implication was likely made despite the fact that Ortiz hasn't ever spoken to Carte'are Gordon." I'm sharing this because I thought it was an interesting take from a less interested third party who read the article.

This article does not have any redeeming qualities. It is not even well-written. A city's newspaper is viewed as an authoritative voice for the city. In order for the Post Dispatch to remain legitimate in the eyes of its readers, it must remedy this situation. As an institution, they should be ashamed by the lack of journalistic integrity displayed by Ortiz. They should also be ashamed that they hired somebody that, quite frankly, lacks strong writing skills. This abomination features a 52-word one-sentence paragraph presenting a blatant lie as fact while espousing the baseless theory that the basketball program was part of a larger conspiracy to hide criminal activity. Simple research would have helped Ortiz realize that the only conspiracy here was committed by SLU's Administration and Title IX office. Jordan Goodwin and the other players are the victims in this situation.

It’s a rare condition, this day and age, to read any good news on the newspaper page.