Coaching movement that might affect SLU

1 hour ago, Franchise_08 said:

Looks like Will Wade and LSU are talking

Saw on Twitter that Wade holds the LSU job in high regard. I don't really get it. I'm sure it's a big salary bump, but it seems like the kind of job that people take just for the sake of the pay bump, not because it's that great of a situation. 

With that said, I could deal with a not so great situation for the $5 million or more he'd get for the contract.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

How is a weakened VCU good for anyone in the A10?

He doesn't understand that we want the A10 to be good. It's been explained to him a dozen times and he keeps posting that he hopes conference teams are weakened. 

7 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

He doesn't understand that we want the A10 to be good. It's been explained to him a dozen times and he keeps posting that he hopes conference teams are weakened. 

We could be a Whichita State or Gonzaga in our conference, winning a regular season or tournament title every year. After that if we want more money for the school, we could have a much better chance going to AAC or Big East

4 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

We could be a Whichita State or Gonzaga in our conference, winning a regular season or tournament title every year. After that if we want more money for the school, we could have a much better chance going to AAC or Big East

Or we could be like Illinois St and go 17-1 in conference play and miss the tourney.

8 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

*facepalm*

Just now, Glorydays2013 said:

All depends on a non conference. Gonzaga had like 4 scheduled and are now a 1 seed.

Just stop.

The easier path to NCAA success is clearly being in a deep, top conference rather than being the one or two programs in the ENTIRE COUNTRY that get respect in 1 or 2 bid leagues. A strong A10 is better for SLU, plain and simple.

27 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

This isn't really that difficult a concept. As is, the WCC gets AT MOST 2 bids per year, but most of the time only 1...it looks as if the Valley is following that trajectory as well. The A-10 gets between 3-5 bids most of the time. A much better league is better for SLU. It also gives us a larger margin of error. We aren't even close to being a Gonzaga or Wichita State. 

20 hours ago, HoosierBilliken said:

That wasn't a meltdown.  He was speaking the truth.  How much of a meltdown would this board be having if Ford left after one year? 

Really is kind of exact same thing we were worried could happen to us. Now I got to spend rest of life thinking Underwood's a dckhead

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The state of Louisiana puts out a ton of players.  Way more than it should considering the population.  I think the state ranks sixth for players on an active NBA roster

That's why I always put credence in this when being optimistic about JJ;  Louisiana Class 3A Outstanding Player of the Year by the Louisiana Sports Writers Association.

I think SLU will be in a bad place in regards to conference very soon. My biggest fear we will be stuck in a gutted A10, while Dayton and VCU move to the American and a Big East that doesn't want to expand. Please no talk about the Valley! It could get very interesting.

2 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

I think SLU will be in a bad place in regards to conference very soon. My biggest fear we will be stuck in a gutted A10, while Dayton and VCU move to the American and a Big East that doesn't want to expand. Please no talk about the Valley! It could get very interesting.

I see this happening as well.  Only a matter of time.  Even if we have 3 great seasons we will not have the perceived value of VCU or Dayton unless we make a Final Four.  We also don't have the best attendance or enough fans who travel.  Dayton is the gold standard for mind-majors.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Dayton will end up in the Big East sooner rather than later

Dayton will never be in the Big East. It will be the American or nothing. 

Xavier will never let Dayton into the Big East. Oddly enough, we want to build our case for xavier wanting to bring us into the conference. The Big East gains nothing with Dayton, they gain a lot with a great SLU. 

As said above, Dayton is never going to the Big East.  They don't help with the media footprint of the Big East and why would X doesn't want to add another Big East option for Recruits in their backyard.  For all the talk about the Elite 8 run they had and how bad we have been, they only have earned two more NCAA units than SLU since 2010.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Michael Porter Sr had two year $300,000 per deal at UW.  Plus, he received $5,000 a month for housing and $15,000 a year for airfare for his family.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/article121905773.html

-thanks for posting the article, interesting to see asst coach salaries for men and women quoted

7 hours ago, brianstl said:

Michael Porter Sr had two year $300,000 per deal at UW.  Plus, he received $5,000 a month for housing and $15,000 a year for airfare for his family.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/article121905773.html

That article is so sad when you read it now knowing that porter choosing to pull his kids from Washington is what got Romar fired. BFFs.