Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Yeah I would really like to lock up Kameron Rooks. Son of the late Sean Rooks.

His two "best" games were against AZ, and Oregon, probably the two best front courts in at least the PAC

Please give me Kameroon Rooks. Stats not impressive, but fills the most immediate need and we have already improved our level of talent. Not that we shouldn't always push more top talent, but at this point, we have turned the roster over and we should focus on plugging gaps. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

His two "best" games were against AZ, and Oregon, probably the two best front courts in at least the PAC

55% FG, 60% FT, 0.9 bpg.  Only played 24 games.  Following is from the Cal website.  Bad wheels with two surgeries on left knee..

Junior (2016-17): 10 starts in 24 total appearances…Averaged 4.9 points and 4.5 rebounds in 17.1 minutes...Double-figure outings vs. UC Irvine, at Arizona and vs. Oregon….Perfect 3-3 from the field and 2-2 at the line with 7 boards in 22 minutes of action vs. South Dakota State…Career-high 15 points and a near double-double with 8 boards against UC Irvine… Season-best 9 rebounds vs. San Diego State…Injured his left knee in the Wyoming game and underwent knee surgery on Nov. 30 to miss 10 games… Returned to the lineup at No. 4 UCLA, tallying 1 minute of action…Scored 10 points in his first return to Tucson since his father’s death, his second-best scoring output of the season…Six points and three rebounds in NIT First Round game vs. CSU Bakersfield…Announced his decision to transfer following graduating in the summer of 2017 to pursue a graduate degree elsewhere

Redshirt Sophomore (2014-15): Sustained a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament in his left leg prior to the season which sidelined him for the entire season while he rehabilitated his leg … returned to play in all four games during Cal’s summer tour of Australia, contributing 4.3 ppg and 3.0 rpg.

Kameron Rooks would start at the 5 for us next year. Ford would have to promise that to even land him amongst that competition. Just from following the Big 10 closely I know that Illinois has a huge need for front court help too. 

14 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

In a very strange move Kansas added some grad transfer from William and Mary.  I'm guessing Tillmon told Hall of Famer Head Coach Bill Self that he's going to Mizzou.

Duke was after Whitman at one point too.

Turner-Morris's team and French's team did meet last December so I thought I would look at the stats but French did not play (he played two days earlier in the same event so I do not know why he was not playing) and New Hampton beat Commonwealth Academy without French.  Turner-Morris did not play a lot either and was not a big factor (4pts, 3rebs in 11 mins).

French's stats against Wilbraham-Munson in the same event show a beast inside (15 rebs, 7 blocks).  He had 12 points with decent shooting from the field but 1-8 from the line.

13 hours ago, TJHawk said:

In a very strange move Kansas added some grad transfer from William and Mary.  I'm guessing Tillmon told Hall of Famer Head Coach Bill Self that he's going to Mizzou.

What I heard on the radio was that Self told Tilmon, I've got one schollie left.  First one who claims it gets it. 

Turner-Morris had some red flags to me. 6 schools in 5 years, for one.

Kante should be a nice big for Georgia, maybe not in year one, but he's a good, strong player. I don't think we were involved for at least a few months, though.

I'm not sure where we left it with Whaley. He just landed a New Mexico offers. Plenty of good programs showing interest there, too.

Point is, there doesn't seem to be much heat between us and any bigs previously listed. A grad transfer big man seems like it's the direction we're going in; just not sure which one yet. This makes a ton of sense to me.

5 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Did anyone else see that one players totally brutal reason for not going to Ohio state? Lol. I'll post it when I can find it

Yeah, he's a local (Cincinnati) kid, Darius Bazley: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigten/2017/04/28/ohio-state-darius-bazley-basketball-recruit-bigger-stage/101034680/ (bold print is mine):

"Ohio State's basketball program lost a four-star recruit for the 2018 class when 6-foot-7 forward Darius Bazley announced on Twitter late Wednesday that he was re-opening his recruitment.

Bazley indicated that the lackluster 17-15 season by the Buckeyes that included missing the NCAA tournament played a part in his decision. But, according to a report in the Columbus Dispatch, it was more about his future as a professional.

“I was excited when I first got the offer,” Bazley told the Dispatch. “Ohio State is still a great place. It’s nothing against the school or anything, but my one ultimate goal is to get to the NBA and I just didn’t feel as confident as I did when I first committed that Ohio State was one of those schools that could get me there. At the end of the day I’ve got to perform no matter where I go, but I think there’s other schools out there that could put me on a bigger stage and in a better position to show those NBA scouts when I get to college what I can do.

It's not as if Ohio State hasn't had high draft picks, D'Angelo Russell was the No. 2 player taken by the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2015 draft. He is one of eight first-round picks during coach Thad Matta's tenure

Bazley didn't appear to think much of Motta's 2017 class, which apparently had a lot to do with his decision.

“Ohio State, they didn’t make the NCAA tournament this year,” Bazley said. “They didn’t even make the NIT, which is unfortunate, but I looked into the recruits they have coming into next year, they didn’t look too good for the future. So I felt like when my class came in, yeah, we would’ve been OK, but good enough to make the tournament? I don’t know. I just felt as if I was to de-commit, actually take my time, figure everything out it would just be a lot better.”

Bazley told the Dispatch that he has been contacted by Michigan, Florida, Maryland, Xavier, Purdue and Virginia Tech. He said his coaches told him Texas, Kansas and Connecticut have also reached out. He said that Xavier has offered him a scholarship."

Worth noting: SLU offered Bazley and his (then) King James AAU teammate Justin Ahrens, but both of them committed on the same day to Ohio State. So it's not just a knock on OSU now, but he's also not expressing much confidence in the 2017 class or his AAU teammate.

Bazley jumped from Finneytown HS to Princeton HS, a couple miles over, prior to this season. He was a one-man team at Finneytown, which went winless this season after losing him. He remained a one-man team at Princeton, which was decent but not very good overall. King James AAU folded. I think he's sensitive to putting himself in good situations, and Ohio State is looking weak these days.

2 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I would quote you pistol but that is such a (great) long post that I don't want people to scroll a lot. 

My response with the Pickett offer is I hope that squashes the "Pickett isn't good enough for P5 programs anymore" nonsense. 

Okay, but it seems to give support to the argument that he isn't good enough for P5 programs unless they were 17-15 and have 2017 recruits jumping ship in May. 

I agree with what has been speculated on here that Ford offered Pickett on the condition that he redshirts.  Given the logjam at SG, it seems like a prudent move.

22 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Okay, but it seems to give support to the argument that he isn't good enough for P5 programs unless they were 17-15 and have 2017 recruits jumping ship in May. 

Ohio state is definitly a P5 program. The recruit who was talking smack because of their recent downfalls. All of our recruits could say that about us too 

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If the right situation presents itself, any 3 star player can be a P5 recruit. Ohio State, with glaring weaknesses at guard, top 100 players starting to look elsewhere and Matta on the hot seat, may be that situation.

to wit: