Recruiting - 2014

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my 3rd hand information says the billikens pushed away from justin diecker, the other big on the eagles and pretty much made it known the billikens are not interested. i hope we dont regret that pass.

the good news is that if we can afford to rebuff this early a local 6'9" pure back to the basket big with great hands then we must be in on some really good bigs.

I don't believe the general public is allowed at the elite camp. From what I remember when I worked at slu a couple summers there were no real guards against this but I don't think they want random people watching our taking to the kid while they are trying to get coached. If watch for couple minutes during workouts but you could sense they didn't want people trying to hang around these kids

Is Roundtree related to Torris Roundtree?

Yes. Their father makes shawn kemp look sterile. Several brothers and half brothers still playing ball in the area.

I don't know why the pa guy doesn't just use the initial system.

have you furnished gus with a decoder ring? and even if you did, i have serious doubts he could master it. there are only a few of you that are talented enough to immediately be able to recognize and match all initials skip. you are a select special few.

have you furnished gus with a decoder ring? and even if you did, i have serious doubts he could master it. there are only a few of you that are talented enough to immediately be able to recognize and match all initials skip. you are a select special few.

Roy, I partially agree with you regarding the initial system. I can recognize who the poster is referring to, but it does slightly slow down my comprehension. The slow-down probably is less than a second, but it is a slow-down.

To me, it's a manifestation of selfishness. If you're taking notes for yourself, shorthand (or initials) is fine, but if you're supposed to be communicating to someone else, you're supposed to do the work to make the readers' job easier. Using the initial system is saying, "I expect you to work hard while I take it easy." I haven't been able to adopt that mindset (except in game-day threads).

Roy, I partially agree with you regarding the initial system. I can recognize who the poster is referring to, but it does slightly slow down my comprehension. The slow-down probably is less than a second, but it is a slow-down.

To me, it's a manifestation of selfishness. If you're taking notes for yourself, shorthand (or initials) is fine, but if you're supposed to be communicating to someone else, you're supposed to do the work to make the readers' job easier. Using the initial system is saying, "I expect you to work hard while I take it easy." I haven't been able to adopt that mindset (except in game-day threads).

I certainly don't think that's true. If it was you'd have to spell out every simple thing just in case one of your potential readers wasn't appropriately versed in the topic. Your words should be written with the intended audience in mind. I don't think it's asking any hard work to expect a poster on a SLU basketball message board to know the names of the players on the team. I could get behind only referencing current players by initial, because SH isn't going to mean anything to a young SLU fan. However, if you don't know who MM is immediately, you need to step up your game.

let's say you're at a baseball game with a bunch of die-hards and a 6-4-3 double play is turned to end the inning. somebody's fat idiot friend who doesn't have a clue about baseball but wouldn't shut up about it on the train down to the game is in the bathroom texting the scoreboard and pissing out his 8th zima of the afternoon. he comes back from the bathroom and says "what did i miss!?!? boom! noise! face!"

then you say, "6-4-3" and he just stares back at you quizzically. by all rights, everyone should beat the fuok out of him and send his zima-loving ass home. but he might go un-chastised altogether, despite not even being good at the internet, much less baseball.

INITIALZ4LYFE.

Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!! Selfishness?????????????

We have been using initials on this Board for years and it has become even more important now that we signing players whose names can not be easily spelled. If we are referring to current or recent players and you don't know who DE, CE, KM etc are, you probably don't even know that Billikens.com even exists. Same thing if we are talking about Billiken all time greats and someone uses the initials AB. If we are talking consistently in a thread about RO and his recruitment, I think we all know who that is. Agreed, if we are in a never ending thread like the 2013 Recruiting thread, and a particular recruit hasn't been mentioned for a couple of pages and/or is not the subject of a recent group of posts, then yes, at least use either the first or last name.

As a side comment, Skip's post # 184 in this thread and his post which started the how to learn to use initials thread are two of the funniest posts I have read on here in years-both made me laugh out loud.

I admittedly am a selfish bastard. If you don't know enough to understand the initial system, you are dumber than me ( and it has been established many times on this board that I'm not all that bright) and you don't deserve the priviledge of reading my posts. So either spend 36 seconds or 27 hours (however long it takes) to learn the initial system or continue to miss out on the wealth of basketball knowledge I share with the board.

It's your choice ... join the initial revolution or get left behind

Viva le initial

i will be left behind. in the future i will attempt to read your posts, but once you get started initialling i will move on to something easier to enjoy like taj's well thought out and easy to understand analysis. that's ok though skip. he writes for a living you dont. so you cant be expected to write in a manner that us simpleton's with a usatoday mentality can enjoy.

i will be left behind. in the future i will attempt to read your posts, but once you get started initialling i will move on to something easier to enjoy like taj's well thought out and easy to understand analysis. that's ok though skip. he writes for a living you dont. so you cant be expected to write in a manner that us simpleton's with a usatoday mentality can enjoy.

Maybe everyone in the business world (which is damn near everyone, unless you're a RWM) should stop using acronyms and just start saying and spelling EVERYTHING out.

I'm pretty sure there is a potential GGO (goat getting operation) afoot here, and I guess have it. If you can get my goat, it's yours to fuok up the ass as much as you'd like.

I admittedly am a selfish bastard. If you don't know enough to understand the initial system, you are dumber than me ( and it has been established many times on this board that I'm not all that bright) and you don't deserve the priviledge of reading my posts. So either spend 36 seconds or 27 hours (however long it takes) to learn the initial system or continue to miss out on the wealth of basketball knowledge I share with the board.

It's your choice ... join the initial revolution or get left behind

Viva le initial

IAWU

Maybe everyone in the business world (which is damn near everyone, unless you're a RWM) should stop using acronyms and just start saying and spelling EVERYTHING out.

I'm pretty sure there is a potential GGO (goat getting operation) afoot here, and I guess have it. If you can get my goat, it's yours to fuok up the ass as much as you'd like.

i rarely use acronyms because of the concern that my audience won't know what i know. i say try to write to your grandmother and/or your 13 year old. anything inbetween you risk confusion.

IAWU

after spending almost 5 minutes thinking about this indepth post, i conclude that you likely mispelled the last word.

This is so easy to fix - roster players get nicknames; we can suggest names and then vote on them.

For example, Grandy might be the energizer bunny. Then when everyone gets the nicknames straight, we can use initials , so GG becomes EB. :lol:

In the meantime, recruits are spelled out - phonetically if you have to. Of course, some of their names will immediately lend themselves to nicknames...

Oh well...