Recruiting - 2014

SLU has also offered #75 Thomas Welsh of Loyola HS in LA, but all indications are that he'll stay on the West Coast. Plenty of other good centers on our offer and interest lists, though.

I don't think there's an easy answer to your question, ABF. I'd like to see some 2014 verbals start coming in but have no clue when it will begin.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Notable omissions: Jordan Barnett and Larry Austin, Jr. A couple other guys on our list have been making a push for the rankings, like Sean O'Mara. Also thought Josh Cunningham might have cracked the list this time around.

So when can we expect SLU to get a c/o 2014 verbal commitment? Are there any verbals likely to come before school starts up in August?

Usually you start seeing them trickle in at schools sometime in August - it would be nice for us to be having those happening like other schools.

I want Macura. I don't know why. He just sounds like someone who would play for us.

We have been recruiting him really hard and for a while. His stock is really rising this summer, hopefully we can get a commitment from him

SLU is strong with Darius Austin:

Look For Darius Austin To Break Out In July

Right now if there is one player who we would predict will put himself on the high major recruiting map in July Austin is hands down the guy. The 6'6 wing forward from Cahokia High School in Cahokia, IL was simply outstanding yesterday on the first day of action at the DePaul Team Camp. To take it a step further, he may have been the best player in attendance based on performance.

Austin has improved his perimeter game immensely and did not miss a shot in the first half of Cahokia's overtime loss to Simeon at the DePaul camp. Not only that, but Austin drilled several shots from deep range, well beyond the 3-point arc. Combine that with Austin's high motor and tireless work ethic and you have a player whose stock is on the verge of skyrocketing. The two schools that appear to be the strongest in Austin's current recruitment are DePaul and St. Louis but there are several others capable of jumping in should they see him during July.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Recruiting_Updates.html

The player I feel we are in best position with is also the player I want most. JP Macura is big, smart and lights out from deep. He can score in a variety of ways and is one of those guys who can shoot your team to victory against anyone.

He says he is looking most for a school with "a family environment." That bodes well for SLU in my mind.

SLU is strong with Darius Austin:

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Recruiting_Updates.html

It seems like we have been mentioned for quite a while in connection with Austin. Sounds like his game is on the rise. Would be nice to lock him up soon. For some reason I thought he was more a guard than a 3. Austin, Macura and Ore... I would be happy if we could lock up a couple of those guys.

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/347463214306566145

2014 Avery Johnson Jr. tells me he is hearing from Baylor(leader), St.Louis, LSU, Bucknell, Santa Clara, Rice, Rutgers, CofC, Columbia,& FSU

Also a new name:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jacob-hammond

Looks like Hammond decommitted from Oklahoma in May and reopened his recruitment.

It seems like we have been mentioned for quite a while in connection with Austin. Sounds like his game is on the rise. Would be nice to lock him up soon. For some reason I thought he was more a guard than a 3. Austin, Macura and Ore... I would be happy if we could lock up a couple of those guys.

Austin has been really up and down this year. Injury problems and effort issues on the court. On paper he looks good, a wing with great length but he hasn't done much this spring and summer, until apparently last weekend, after a subpar HS season. CJ Rivers has passed him up as prospect on his own team.

List has been updated again with Hammond and the update on AJ, Jr. (page 12).

If this is a pain in your rear, I apologize, but I liked it better when you would copy and paste the updated list in a new reply. Using the new-content method of reading the board means it's unlikely many of us will go back and read edited posts.

If this is a pain in your rear, I apologize, but I liked it better when you would copy and paste the updated list in a new reply. Using the new-content method of reading the board means it's unlikely many of us will go back and read edited posts.

Not a pain at all. I just realize how long the list is for 2014 right now and didn't want to force people to scroll down through it every time. My method has typically been to wait 3 pages (so you can't click back to it directly) before bumping. But I'll shorten that.

Updated - and keep the updates coming on anything you guys see about these names. I can't stay current on every single one.

2014 Offer List:

Ore Arogundade: St. Viator, Arlington Heights, IL - SG: 6-3, 180. Offers: SLU, Creighton, SIUC, Murray State, Drake, Santa Clara, Loyola-Chicago, San Jose State, Wright State, Toledo, Northern Illinois, San Francisco, Utah State. Interest: DePaul, Xavier, Temple, LaSalle, Texas Tech, Wichita State, Missouri State, Oregon State. Latest (6/15): Arogundade vistied Drake and SLU. Previous: Arogundade said Murray State, St. Louis, Santa Clara, and Drake are strong right now. Texas Tech, Xavier, Temple and LaSalle are also looking. Twitter: @OreAro_23

Darius Austin: Cahokia HS, Cahokia, IL - SF: 6-6, 200. Offers: SLU, DePaul, UMKC. Interest: Illinois, Mizzou, Michigan, Xavier, Cincinnati, Iowa, Tennessee. Latest (6/25): According to IL Prep Bullseye, Austin is their pick for a mid-late summer high-major break-out recruit. He tore it up at the DePaul Team Camp and may have been the best player in the thing. SLU and DePaul are strongest, but they say others will soon follow. Previous: According to my main man Billiken Roy, Cahokia will leave its athletic program intact, meaning that Austin will stay there for his senior year instead of playing up in Chicago somewhere. Twitter: @DariusAustin23

Larry Austin, Jr.: Lanphier, Springfield, IL - PG: 6-1, 165. Offers: SLU, Mizzou, Illinois, DePaul, Memphis, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Wake Forest, Iowa, Florida State, Mississippi State, Bradley, SMU, Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Interest: Butler, Ohio State, Tennessee, Stanford, West Virginia, Harvard. Latest (6/5): Austin says that out of all the schools on his offer list, Oklahoma State is probably the one recruiting him the hardest. Twitter: @_LarryAustin2_

Jordan Barnett: CBC, St. Louis, MO - SF: 6-7, 185. Offers: SLU, Mizzou, Butler, Purdue, Florida, Michigan State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Iowa State, Stanford, Harvard. Interest: UNC, SIUC. Latest (5/22): Barnett mentioned that UNC had shown interest and been in contact several times. On 5/22, UNC got a commitment from 5-star SF Theo Pinson, which may lead them to back off Barnett. Previous: SLU and St. Louis Eagles alum Larry Hughes spoke to Barnett's Eagles team after a loss in Dallas on 5/16. Twitter: @JBounce33

J.P. Macura: Lakeville North, Lakeville, MN - SG: 6-5, 185. Offers: SLU, Dayton, Butler, Creighton, Boston College, Kansas State, Drake, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Vermont, South Dakota, South Dakota State, New Mexico State, Utah State, Toledo, Wyoming, Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Interest: Indiana, Wisconsin, Florida State, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, NC State, Providence, Nebraska-Omaha. Latest (6/27): Macura is making his first official visit to Butler. Previous: Showing an elite three-point shooting ability, Macura has had a couple huge AAU tournaments (including the recent adidas VIP Exclusive Run) and is hitting the radar of Big Ten, Big 12, and ACC schools. He is looking for a school with a "family atmosphere." He is up to #89 in Scout's 2014 rankings. Twitter: @jpmacura

Logan McLane: Greenfield School, Wilson, NC - PF: 6-8, 210. Offers: SLU, Seton Hall, Miami-Ohio, UNC-Asheville, UNC-Greensboro, Buffalo, Winthrop, Mercer, High Point. Latest (6/19): McLane is currently recovering from a torn ACL, which is why higher-level schools have not offered, but he aims to be ready for an AAU event in July. He just visited Miami-Ohio. Previous: McLane gives some reasons why he likes his current list of offers. Twitter: @LMcLane4

Sean O’Mara: Benet Academy, Lisle, IL - C: 6-9, 240. Offers: SLU, Illinois, DePaul, Marquette, Xavier, Dayton, LaSalle, Boston College, Virginia, Iowa State, Georgia Tech, SIUC, SIUE, Loyola-Chicago, UIC, Oakland, Lehigh, Columbia, Ball State, Eastern Michigan. Interest: Michigan, Notre Dame, Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern. Latest (5/21): Considered one of the best centers in the Midwest, O'Mara is in the belly of the Big Ten and has their attention. He was dominant in an AAU Tournament in April. Offers are starting to cascade in. Twitter: @S3AN_54

Andre Walker: Bullis School, Clarksville, MD - C: 6-10, 210. Offers: SLU, VCU, Xavier, DePaul, Cincinnati, Temple, UMass, George Mason, SMU, Fairfield, Delaware. Interest: Georgetown, Indiana, Kansas, NC State, Maryland, Miami. Latest (6/6): Walker now has offers from VCU and DePaul. Previous: This guy is hard to Google. Xavier recently had a player by the same name, and there's another HS recruit with the same name. He wears rec specs. Twitter: @Andre_Walker21

Hunter Ware: North Cobb Christian, Kennesaw, GA - PG: 6-2, 165. Offers: SLU, Murray State, Cornell, Brown, Tennessee Tech, Jacksonville, Gardner-Webb, Appalachian State, Stetson, Radford, Middle Tennessee, Georgia Southern. Interest: Mizzou, Butler, Charleston, Charlotte, UAB, Nevada, Buffalo, Charleston Southern. Latest (6/19): Interesting offer list. I guess we're in early on a guy we think has more potential than shows with his current list, and I'm guessing he's also a pretty solid student with two Ivy Leage offers. He's considered one of the fastest-rising players in the state of Georgia's class of 2014. On The Radar Hoops says: "Hunter showcases a great change of speed and high basketball IQ, he constantly gets a piece of the paint and pushes the tempo off the rebound. He fills the middle and goes until he is stopped either scoring or dishing off the ball for the easy basket for his teammates." But this is my favorite profile of him. Twitter: @Hunter_Ware1

Thomas Welsh: Loyola, Los Angeles, CA - C: 7-0, 245. Offers: SLU, Gonzaga, California, USC, Arizona State, Rice, Santa Clara, San Francisco, Pacific, Portland. Interest: UCLA, Arizona, Colorado, Wake Forest, Brown, UC-Santa Barbara. Latest (6/25): Welsh is now ranked #75 in Scout's 2014 rankings. Previous: SLU is said to be one of Welsh's early offers, which is interesting, given that he's a Southern California kid with otherwise exclusively West Coast offers. Welsh has spoken with Andy Enfield at USC quite a bit. He just recently visited Cal. He played very well at the recent Pangos All-American Camp.

2014 Interest List:

Marcus Bartley: MacArthur, Decatur, IL - PG: 6-2, 175. Offers: Oklahoma State, SIUC, Bradley, Northwestern, Illinois State, Eastern Illinois, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Tennessee-Martin, Southeastern Louisiana, William & Mary. Interest: SLU, Mizzou, Iowa, Georgetown, Harvard, Tennessee. Latest (5/21): Northwestern is recruiting him very hard. Oklahoma State is the biggest program to offer so far but he may be on the cusp of a few more. Twitter: @MB3_Dreamville

Josh Cunningham: Morgan Park, Chicago, IL - SF: 6-7, 195. Offers: Mizzou, Oklahoma, Iowa, DePaul, Nebraska, South Carolina, UMass, Bradley, Northern Illinois. Interest: SLU, Illinois, Michigan State, Minnesota, Illinois State, UIC. Latest (5/21): Cunningham opened some eyes at the recent Nike EYBL in Hampton, Virginia when he filled in for an injured 5-star player. He's said to be a gamer with explosive leaping ability and a nice 3-point stroke. Twitter: @JoshMCunningham

Austin Gillmann: Oakville, Oakville, MO - C: 6-11, 200. Offers: Illinois State. Interest: SLU, Wichita State, Bucknell, Lehigh, Elon. Latest (5/21): Gillmann has already visited SLU this spring (early May). He is a legitimate 6-11, but needs to add serious strength. He was a double-double machine his junior season at Oakville and has played well this spring in AAU ball. Twitter: @AUSTIN__g

Jacob Hammond: Home School United Prep, Oklahoma City, OK - C: 6-10, 240. Offers: Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Nebraska. Interest: SLU, Indiana, UCLA, Mizzou, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Wake Forest, Creighton, Wichita State, TCU, Tulsa, Loyola-Marymount, Navy. Latest (6/25): Hammond previously committed to Oklahoma but recently backed out. He reportedly played very well at the Pangos Camp. He has played his three years of HS basketball at three different schools in Oklahoma and Kansas. Twitter: @J_ham_24

Avery Johnson, Jr.: Cooper, The Woodlands, TX - PG: 5-9, 173. Interest: SLU, Baylor, LSU, Rutgers, Florida State, Rice, Charleston, Santa Clara, Bucknell, Columbia. Latest (6/25): Johnson calls Baylor his leader. Previous: Johnson will be visiting SLU this weekend. The son of former NBA player and coach Avery Johnson, he recently made headlines when he Tweeted taunts at the Nets after losing to the Bulls in the playoffs (his dad coached the Nets before being fired). He's relatively hard to find on recruiting sites because A) most Google results have to do with that incident, B] there was a recent big-time football recruit named Avery Johnson who went to LSU, and C) there was a recent basketball recruit named Avery Johnson who went to San Francisco. Twitter: @itsaveryjohnson

Kelan Martin: Ballard, Louisville, KY - SF: 6-5, 185. Offers: Providence, New Mexico, Indiana State, Ohio, Western Kentucky, IUPUI. Interest: SLU, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Mizzou, Kentucky, Louisville, Minnesota, LSU, Boston College. Latest (5/29): Martin has had an impressive spring on the AAU circuit and the offers are starting to roll in.

Mack Mercer: Plymouth, Plymouth, IN - PF: 6-9, 210. Offers: Boston College, Indiana State, Ball State, Kent State, Belmont, Loyola-Chicago, Rice, Vermont. Interest: SLU, Butler, Xavier, Mizzou, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Clemson, Mississippi State, Northwestern. Twitter: @MackMercer

Ikenna Okwarabizie: St. Louis Christian, St. Louis, MO - C: 6-10, 240. Offers: Southern Miss, SIUE. Interest: SLU, Marquette, Oklahoma, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Illinois State, Rice. Latest (6/19): Okwarabizie has "serious attention" from SLU and Rutgers per @runhouse. He is visiting Illinois State. Previous: Okwarabizie is just starting to emerge this spring and picked up his first offer from Southern Miss. More will be on the way. Twitter: @iykerulez1

Jalyn Patterson: Montverde Academy, Alpharetta, GA - PG: 5-11, 170. Offers: George Mason, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia State. Interest: SLU, Houston, Tennessee, Florida State, South Carolina, Charleston, Tennessee Tech, Georgia Southern, Kennesaw State. Latest (5/29): Of the three schools recruiting him hardest lately, he says, “I am planning on trying to get out to St. Louis and George Mason and probably Houston,” he said. “I am still thinking about other schools and choosing which schools I would like to visit but those are three that I am definitely hoping to get to.” Twitter: @jalynpatterson

Darreon Reddick: Belleville East, Belleville, IL - PG: 6-3, 200. Offers: DePaul, Valpo, Missouri State, Detroit, Toledo, Indiana State, IUPUI. Interest: SLU, Mizzou, Butler, Michigan, Xavier, Tennessee, Iowa, SIUC. Latest (5/21): Reddick visited Valpo with C.J. Rivers and both picked up offers. Twitter: @_14Reddick

C.J. Rivers: Cahokia, Cahokia, IL - PG: 6-2, 180. Offers: SIUC, SIUE, Miami-Ohio, Valpo, Toledo, Cornell, Brown, UIC, Wright State, Northern Kentucky. Interest: SLU, Illinois, Mizzou, Xavier, Tennessee, Drake. Latest (5/22): Rivers will visit Drake on June 12. Previous: Rivers visited Valpo with Reddick and both picked up offers. Rivers has visited SLU already. Twitter: @Cj_Rivers05

Marial Shayok: Blair Academy, Blairstown, NJ - SF: 6-6, 205. Offers: Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, LaSalle, Cincinnati, Boston College, Minnesota, Rutgers, Kansas State, West Virginia, Texas A&M, Georgia. Interest: SLU, VCU, Dayton, Illinois, Purdue, Gonzaga. Latest (6/6): Shayok listed West Virginia, Providence, Boston College, VCU, Cincinnati, and SLU as the schools recruiting him the hardest. He said Minnesota, Rutgers, Kansas State, Seton Hall, and Villanova are also in the mix. He has not decided on any visits yet and doesn't plan to do so until August. He is considered one of the most athletic wings in the class of 2014. He's from a big-time basketball family: His father played at Dayton, his sister plays at Detroit, and his brother just transferred to UMKC from Bradley. Twitter: ToOffical_11

A couple questions I've been pondering:

-Why did Jordan Barnett drop out of Scout's updated top 100 list? I haven't heard much about him this summer, except that he's been leading the Eagles in scoring wherever they've played. Has he just not shown enough magical "upside" for the scouts?

-There are a lot of quality centers in this class that we're recruiting. Welsh appears to be headed somewhere on the West Coast, and O'Mara's stock has been rising into Big Ten territory, so I'm not counting on them. But Okwarabizie is right down the street and very intriguing, though raw. Hammond is drawing a lot of Big 12 attention and is playing well this summer (though the 3 high schools in 3 years have me wondering what's going on there). Walker seems to be getting a lot of Big East offers. I've heard others saying they're not sold on Gillman, but he's still worth monitoring with that size and the fact he's local.

-Who are we in best shape with at this point? We seem to be an early finalist for Darius Austin and Ore Arogundade, but who else?

A couple questions I've been pondering:

-Why did Jordan Barnett drop out of Scout's updated top 100 list? I haven't heard much about him this summer, except that he's been leading the Eagles in scoring wherever they've played. Has he just not shown enough magical "upside" for the scouts?

-There are a lot of quality centers in this class that we're recruiting. Welsh appears to be headed somewhere on the West Coast, and O'Mara's stock has been rising into Big Ten territory, so I'm not counting on them. But Okwarabizie is right down the street and very intriguing, though raw. Hammond is drawing a lot of Big 12 attention and is playing well this summer (though the 3 high schools in 3 years have me wondering what's going on there). Walker seems to be getting a lot of Big East offers. I've heard others saying they're not sold on Gillman, but he's still worth monitoring with that size and the fact he's local.

-Who are we in best shape with at this point? We seem to be an early finalist for Darius Austin and Ore Arogundade, but who else?

My gut tells me Arogundade and Macura are two guys we are doing very well with.

Austin has been really up and down this year. Injury problems and effort issues on the court. On paper he looks good, a wing with great length but he hasn't done much this spring and summer, until apparently last weekend, after a subpar HS season. CJ Rivers has passed him up as prospect on his own team.

What injuries has Austin dealt with?

Rivers is really the better of the two as a prospect at this point? Don't think we've offered him yet.

Just curious to get your take on them in a little more detail; I haven't seen either play.