Midnight Madness

SLU_Nick

I have heard today from Mr Darren Pais that Brad has allowed a midnight madness for the first practice. I hope I wont be one of 12 people there like last season. The blue crew should be out in full force. Brad initially didnt want to have one because of a lack of turnout. Students who read this, get your friends and friends' friends to show up. An insigificant turnout could actually HURT team morale

Amazing....the NCAA changes it rules on the timing of the first day of practice so that the sometimes overdone Midnight Madness events can be eliminated and replaced with an earlier 7:00pm start time....and now some SLU students push hard for a Mid-Night Madness event!

I can appreciate having a large number of students excited about the new season....but do they even know that about the NCAA practice time changes?

The Answer is NO. They probably don't know about the rule change why would they? If you don't like Mid-Night Madness that is your perogative but the SLU Basketball Team is for SLU and the SLU Students want to take part in a College Tradition. I think this is great and we need this type of thing at SLU where tradition is severely lacking. Yes the practice may not be as intense as Brad would hope but for an 18-21 yr. old this type of thing could have a bigger impact than suicide sprints.

btw, two colleges that are famous for their mid-night madness parties have changed their times to take advantage of the new NCAA rule. Kansas has moved their big bash from mid-night to 6:30pm and Kentucky has moved their Big Blue Madness party/practice from mid-night to 9:00pm.

SLU may be the only school in the country starting at mid-night....but

what the hell....nothing wrong in being different!

Tenative okay has been given to go ahead with planning, but a final okay still waits. Tenative plans are to have the actual west pine activities starting around 10, not midnight so it would be Billiken Madness, not midnight madness. I'll let ya know when things become final.

BlueCrew Webmaster

.... course slightly ... first of all, Midnight Madness is NOT a college tradition. Its an ESPN tradition or at least something that was hyped by a network in need of sports programming. While it may actually be a Kansas tradition or a Kentucky tradition, that is far different from a universal college tradition, so please don't call it so.

Asd for SLU students taking part in such a thing .... what is the current percentage of SLU students that actually live at SLU? Anybody know? When I was there, I don't believe it was 50% even when you counted those living in the old Laclede Town or Laclede Towers. I'll even bet you that all the resident students, if they showed up, would not fill West Pine Gym. I admire and applaud the Blue Crew for trying, but I sincerely doubt it would fill the place as most real Midnight Madnesses do.

well from my perspective, that's what happens when the administration isnt more communicative and active. they should have been the ones with plans and announcements. not reacting to the wishes of the bluecrew. two months ago they should have been all over the place with the earlier time and a very detailed party already laid out and announcements being sent to boosters and alumni as well as students. instead it will likely end up appearing thrown together and then people will again roll their eyes.

Keep us posted. If I'm in St. Louis, I'll be there!

I didn't even know that we had one last year.

Please, I'm begging you, promote the sh!t out of this thing. SLU students need to be beat over the head with marketing messages when it comes to basketball-related events.

Fill West Pine for the first practice and set the tone for the rest of the season.

i'll be there again (been to most first practices in the last 15 years)with my fam.

one suggestion, get the sound taken care of. it does no good to have something like this and have to rely on the 1925 sound system of west pine. and dont try to let them fix it with a mr microphone either. spend some money to do it right or else just let the kids play. it will come off lame as can be if the people cant understand what is being said.

I hope this is a huge success...to get the team fired up and more motivated. Attendance should be good if it's on the night of a soccer game, don't we get about 2-2,500/pg at those. Make the whole afternoon a party and let it spill over to midnight madness. I agree with someone who said it should start at 10:00pm. Now hopefully someone in the SID will notify the local media people and let them help as well. Wouldn't Cusamano be a big help here? Our new flagship radio station also. Now this Slaten guy will probably say something like "what are they going to get for that 30-50 diehards?" We should have let his son be a walkon, then I'd bet you'd see him support us.

Whoever is providing you with this final approval, please gently remind them that perhaps a couple thousand Billiken sports fans will already be on campus for a soccer game, and that Brad and the team dribbling them over to West Pine would both boost attendance and illustrate that the athletic department is actually one big happy family that cross-promotes each other's endeavors. Just a thought.

I second that - great job, bluecrew!

It's amazing to me how some can find negative in this. If the bluecrew can a fair number of students there and a decent number of fans show - it will be well worth it. How many people are actually at the first practice on average? Anyone have an estimate? I would guess it wouldn't be too hard to double that number. If that is accomplished, it will be worth it.

New students and Freshman account for 1,771 students and 85% of which live on campus.

http://www.slu.edu/readstory/more/153

3,400 students live on campus.

http://www.slu.edu/services/residence/

These figures do not account for the large numbers that live close by in apartments or the 15 guys that live in a certain fraternity house on Forest Park Blvd.

Anyway I went to Midnight Madness my freshman year at West Pine and it was great. The event was on ESPN and they did a great job with having alot of local celebrities there including Brett Hull. Could that be part of the reason why I am such a big Billiken Fan today? West Pine seemed full to me that night.

Then again maybe it is too late at night, no one will show up anyway why do it, the only teams that make a big deal out of Midnight Madness are UKY and KU why would we want to do anything like them anyway?

Bluecrewmaster --- I hope this seems obvious to you, but talk to Margo at the Billiken Club to make sure all those member are aware. She could probably send us the usual postcard with the date and time. Secondly, send a notice to all season ticket holders as well. Great job! I will be there and I hope it's a huge success. It could be just what the doctor ordered to get this young team fired up.