Josh Schertz hires first Assistant Coach

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

let's not forget the deal to become the billiken coach was likely struck weeks ago.   he likely knew who would more than likely accept and he could trust their silence throughout the NIT.   i.e. he didnt just approach and get a deal with those coaches yesterday.  

Oh, wait May said at the news conference that they did not finalize the deal until last Friday night.  My point is May said a lot of stuff at the news conference I am not sure what you can believe or not.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Oh, wait May said at the news conference that they did not finalize the deal until last Friday night.  My point is May said a lot of stuff at the news conference I am not sure what you can believe or not.

finalize = signed.   Schertz couldnt sign until his season was over.   a handshake was done weeks ago likely.   a real man, one that is honest with good character, shakes a hand on an agreement and his word is golden.  

Lord Elrond and Adman like this

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

finalize = signed.   Schertz couldnt sign until his season was over.   a handshake was done weeks ago likely.   a real man, one that is honest with good character, shakes a hand on an agreement and his word is golden.  

First, last year May said Ford would be coach at SLU as long as he was AD - so did he lie then or Monday given that he just said he had been tracking Schertz since last season?  Second, the M of U was not a contract that assured Schertz would be here - if any other school wanted him they could have him for the 4 million buy out - this had nothing to do with a handshake being a deal given the out that was written in it.  By the way I am sure in the M of U an outline of a contract existed but not the details and as they say the devils in the details.  Third, if he was on the hunt for possibly a new coach all year then why the argument with Chaiftz in Chicago after the L of C game all he would have had to say to Chaiftz is I am working on it and Chaiftz would not have needed to have that discussion with May.  Bottom line, when do you believe him or not.  Schertz was keeping his options open as he should, and May was trying to make himself look good on Monday.  Roy, I understand that you have a value system that leads you to expect people to stand by their word and that is the way it should be but honestly until the papers are signed sealed and delivered no deal actually exists.  

23 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

First, last year May said Ford would be coach at SLU as long as he was AD - so did he lie then or Monday given that he just said he had been tracking Schertz since last season?  Second, the M of U was not a contract that assured Schertz would be here - if any other school wanted him they could have him for the 4 million buy out - this had nothing to do with a handshake being a deal given the out that was written in it.  By the way I am sure in the M of U an outline of a contract existed but not the details and as they say the devils in the details.  Third, if he was on the hunt for possibly a new coach all year then why the argument with Chaiftz in Chicago after the L of C game all he would have had to say to Chaiftz is I am working on it and Chaiftz would not have needed to have that discussion with May.  Bottom line, when do you believe him or not.  Schertz was keeping his options open as he should, and May was trying to make himself look good on Monday.  Roy, I understand that you have a value system that leads you to expect people to stand by their word and that is the way it should be but honestly until the papers are signed sealed and delivered no deal actually exists.  

so when your production drastically falls off the boss has to stick to his support statement from months ago?   what if you had a teacher that went from award winning to slacking off, sleeping in class, unfairly disciplining kids, just not a good teacher anymore.   you still going to stick by that award you gave them the year before?   how do you know that this year there were not discussions between ford and may about the obvious fail in process?   

as to the deal, i agree thanks to our society becoming a world of litigation and loopholes, it isnt a deal until signed sealed delivered.   that still doesnt mean that schertz didnt verbally agree.  and if you read my above follow up post, it only goes to show that schertz is a man of character and a man of his word that he stuck by it even though over the course of the NIT his popularity exploded.  only goes to show may did his homework and found the man that was best for the position.   

i just dont understand why you folks continue to play the "may is worthless card" when all signs point to the fact he did a very complete job on this whole process.  

Maybe SLU is truly going all in here. Hire the Xs and Os guys that do just that and maybe keep Tate on staff to recruit? Or maybe I'm just too damn pumped up and my rose colored eclipse glasses are just too strong...

33 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

so when your production drastically falls off the boss has to stick to his support statement from months ago?   what if you had a teacher that went from award winning to slacking off, sleeping in class, unfairly disciplining kids, just not a good teacher anymore.   you still going to stick by that award you gave them the year before?   how do you know that this year there were not discussions between ford and may about the obvious fail in process?   

as to the deal, i agree thanks to our society becoming a world of litigation and loopholes, it isnt a deal until signed sealed delivered.   that still doesnt mean that schertz didnt verbally agree.  and if you read my above follow up post, it only goes to show that schertz is a man of character and a man of his word that he stuck by it even though over the course of the NIT his popularity exploded.  only goes to show may did his homework and found the man that was best for the position.   

i just dont understand why you folks continue to play the "may is worthless card" when all signs point to the fact he did a very complete job on this whole process.  

I am not saying he is worthless all I am saying is you can't take what he says at face value.  As far as May changing his mind on Ford I am sure he eventually did once the tide had changed.  I have no doubt that May will do whatever it takes to save himself.  Never have I ever sailed under a false flag with any of my employees.  It sometimes made them unhappy, but I was always honest regarding where they stood, and they knew it.  As far as a good employee suddenly going south, I would have been remiss not to try to figure out what was going on in his/her life to cause this sudden change and see what help I could provide.  I actually feel a bit bad for Ford because I am sure he feels a bit betrayed by May.  By the way I never said anything about Schertz character either way.

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am not saying he is worthless all I am saying is you can't take what he says at face value.  As far as May changing his mind on Ford I am sure he eventually did once the tide had changed.  I have no doubt that May will do whatever it takes to save himself.  Never have I ever sailed under a false flag with any of my employees.  It sometimes made them unhappy, but I was always honest regarding where they stood, and they knew it.  As far as a good employee suddenly going south, I would have been remiss not to try to figure out what was going on in his/her life to cause this sudden change and see what help I could provide.  I actually feel a bit bad for Ford because I am sure he feels a bit betrayed by May.  By the way I never said anything about Schertz character either way.

and i am saying you and i dont know the whole story of the true scenario.   we are all guessing to a great extent.   what matters is the end result.   and from my view it is a home run.  the fact Chris May is still here and taking a very active role in the roll out of the red carpet and handling all the public work, i would say he was the one swinging the very successful bat.  but again just a guess.   we dont know. but it sure seems silly to continue with the bashing he endured all year long in my opinion.  if half of that was true he would have gotten fired.  

willie likes this

23 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

The fact Tate is still on campus leads me to think he's going to be retained. Even if it's a Thorpe situation and it's only a year, I think it's good for transition purposes. I still think he adds value to the region especially with the to be senior class in STL.

Tate's fate probably depends on the Matthew Graves situation at ISU. He has just been named interim HC, while they search for a new HC. If he is not named HC I believe he will join Schertz at SLU.

On 4/8/2024 at 6:39 PM, crymdg2 said:

The fact Tate is still on campus leads me to think he's going to be retained. Even if it's a Thorpe situation and it's only a year, I think it's good for transition purposes. I still think he adds value to the region especially with the to be senior class in STL.

I hope he keeps Tate on. He's so important for the STL connection from a recruiting standpoint. I truly don't think they would post him in the video if he was not retained. 

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

It would not hurt us if Corey Tate was head coach at a local school, either!

I doubt he would make anything close at a high school that he made here so it may not hurt you but it will hurt him.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

On his opening segment today Frank Cusumano said “If you are a fan of Corey Tate, I think you will get some good news in the near future”.

Happy to hear that for Corey Tate, congratulations.

On 4/9/2024 at 1:33 PM, billiken_roy said:

that said, it has been my business experience that most "managers" wont surround themselves with associates that will complete their "team" by strengthing their collective weaknesses.   they are more apt to find a worker bee or a yes person.   rather than "risk" bringing in the person that could take their job. 

Steve Spagnolo was a perfect example of this when he coached the Rams.

NextYearBill likes this

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If this is to keep Jimerson, great. But it doesn’t really move the needle in any other way. 

Come on, Zac.  Give it a rest lol.

Just now, Scoop said:

Come on, Zac.  Give it a rest lol.

I mean you have a personal connection to Tate. Seems like you're letting your bias get in the way. Excuse me that I'm not excited to keep any coaching remnants from the worst season in my lifetime. 

33 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Excellent  “In the near future” was about five hours. Stu said he will be an off campus recruiter. His JUCO connections may be more valuable than HS connections in today’s basketball. 

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I mean you have a personal connection to Tate. Seems like you're letting your bias get in the way. Excuse me that I'm not excited to keep any coaching remnants from the worst season in my lifetime. 

Agreed.  I also don’t think having a very very localized/specialized recruiter is as valuable in this era of CBB, but that’s just me.  

11 minutes ago, laker119 said:

Agreed.  I also don’t think having a very very localized/specialized recruiter is as valuable in this era of CBB, but that’s just me.  

I don’t think his local connections are AS valuable as they were 8 years ago. Again if it’s the difference between keeping a shooter like Gibson for a year. Good, okay. But it’s not anything to get excited about, even just based on it’s a retention not an acquisition.