2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If we get a huge buyout in this that would allow SLU to shift donor money that would have gone to cover Ford’s buyout to NIL.  McCollum can build a winner year one with that kind of payroll.

I'm just skeptical we will get any sort of huge buyout. Maybe contractually we should but not sure it'll happen. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I am once again asking why not a single outlet is talking about Will Wade for any jobs.

wasnt he charged with multiple NCAA violations?   myself, even if the things he was charged with are now legal in the new wild west of the ncaa, i dont want a cheater and i am sure we arent the only school thinking the same way.

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I am once again asking why not a single outlet is talking about Will Wade for any jobs.

The idiot on the spaces said last night WW has had poor relationships with ADs and coaches at every school he’s been too, 

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I’m amazingly at peace with the whole situation and for some reason confident we will get a great coach.

Given that coaching searches rarely work out the way anyone ever thinks they will and SLU's proclivity to botch anything and everything, I'm kind of at this point now:

image.jpeg.15b2394c85ce898b758451d1383d059e.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Given that coaching searches rarely work out the way anyone ever thinks they will and SLU's proclivity to botch anything and everything, I'm kind of at this point now:

image.jpeg.15b2394c85ce898b758451d1383d059e.jpeg

I'm was just happy to see they had a signed deal with Schertz in place instead of some kind of handshake agreement.  I count that as progress and a win.  Gives me some confidence that things are operating differently with this  process.

The way May wins this coaching search is if he doesn't panic. Wait Schertz out. I don't think he'll end up at Louisville but if he does don't let it be because you panicked and moved to a different candidate. 

21 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Still don't think Schertz is going to Louisville. Just doesn't feel like the right fit for either side. 

I’m with you. That’s a lot of money to pass up, but we’re a better fit for him at this point in his career. To you guys that scoffed at my $2.5 to get him, well here we are. 

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The way May wins this coaching search is if he doesn't panic. Wait Schertz out. I don't think he'll end up at Louisville but if he does don't let it be because you panicked and moved to a different candidate. 

This 

2 minutes ago, DOC said:

I’m with you. That’s a lot of money to pass up, but we’re a better fit for him at this point in his career. To you guys that scoffed at my $2.5 to get him, well here we are. 

If he’s brining his starting 5, he would have a T25 team most of next year here. If he’s going to LVille, he has to get all new players. 

DOC likes this

25 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They looked at him and found something that made them pass. Only answer that makes sense.

21 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Per Wikipedia (I know...), Wade has a 2 year show-cause penalty that was handed out June 22, 2023.  I'm not sure if McNeese has to abide by that since they hired him prior to the show-cause.  Regardless, it may be scaring off potential suitors.  Wade may also be thinking if he stays at McNeese another year & wins, he can have his pick of any job openings he wants next go around and also not have the show-cause to worry about.

@billiken_roy on the one hand, I get not wanting to hire Wade because of his recruiting violations.  On the other hand, all that stuff is legal now, so it is kind of silly to take that stance.  Wade has won at every stop.  If Schertz is out and we want a proven winer, Wade is the guy show-cause be damned.  As others have pointed out guys like Bruce Pearl & Kelvin Sampson have done pretty well after being hit with show-cause penatlies.

Just now, wgstl said:

If he’s brining his starting 5, he would have a T25 team most of next year here. If he’s going to LVille, he has to get all new players. 

This is where too often really good coaches screw up.  They get to a big time program and stop recruiting the best players for their system.  They give in to boosters and fans who are obsessed with winning the recruiting rankings.  It was downfall of Weber at Illinois. If you got a system that brought you to that point, you got to stick with that system and the type of players that make that system work.  Sure you tweak it here and there as needed, but you got to be true to what brought you there.

JMM28 and CenHudDude like this

If Schertz goes with Louisville, I have to believe that the crazy Louisville supporters will think that his current roster at ISU is below them.  They will tell Schertz that the Louisville NIL fund will get all new players and that he just has to coach them.  If Schertz has already had a conversation with his starters and said we are all going to SLU, it would be quite a rough move to back out on that promise now.

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

guys like Bruce Pearl & Kelvin Sampson have done pretty well after being hit with show-cause penatlies.

i will go to my grave hating both prearl and sampson.   wouldnt hire either one of those scoundrels either.  i dont care if whatever is now legal.   character imo is still a treasured trait.   all of the above lack character imo.  

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This is where too often really good coaches screw up.  They get to a big time program and stop recruiting the best players for their system.  They give in to boosters and fans who are obsessed with winning the recruiting rankings.  It was downfall of Weber at Illinois. If you got a system that brought you to that point, you got to stick with that system and the type of players that make that system work.  Sure you tweak it here and there as needed, but you got to be true to what brought you there.

And I'm not sure the players he has now would win him a ton of games next year in the ACC, they would in the A10.  And once that core is gone, you do the same but with better players and so on until you get to the highest level.  I just think that jump, plus with what you said, its a bad idea.  Last, If he comes up and kills it the next year two years( very good chance) we could do better than Louisville.  And better I mean a less hostile/pressure, but still the same caliber program. 

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i will go to my grave hating both prearl and sampson.   wouldnt hire either one of those scoundrels either.  i dont care if whatever is now legal.   character imo is still a treasured trait.   all of the above lack character imo.  

Love your old school thought( I really don't mean that in a snarky way).  For me though, we're not friends, you just coach a team I love. so win at all costs. 

Article explaining, supposedly, the Dusty May death threats from Louisville fans story:

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/death-threats-louisville-coaching-search-takes-wild-turn-with-dusty-may-josh-schertz/

Not sure I'm buying the explanation.  Sounds like it may be an attempt to cover up some poor behavior by Louisville fans, but maybe not.

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Love your old school thought( I really don't mean that in a snarky way).  For me though, we're not friends, you just coach a team I love. so win at all costs. 

i'd be ashamed to root for a cheater team.   a cheater will recruit cheaters.   when saint louis university becomes that i move on.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i'd be ashamed to root for a cheater team.   a cheater will recruit cheaters.   when saint louis university becomes that i move on.  

But how would someone cheat now or need to cheat now?  What could WW do to get us in trouble when players get paid legally now?

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ideally I'd love a squeaky clean character guy who can win big at SLU, but I don't think that is realistic / actually exists.  I'd much rather have a coach like Pearl, Sampson, or Wade who got in trouble for recruiting violations than a guy like Greg Marshall who has never in trouble with the NCAA, but has been accused of verbal & physical abuse of his players or even.  I'm not quite win at all costs, but give me a guy who wins & whose players love him regardless of his track record of NCAA violations.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

But how would someone cheat now or need to cheat now?  What could WW do to get us in trouble when players get paid legally now?

There are multiple programs that have shown no issue with hiring guys with NCAA violation history or character issues.  None of them have wanted to touch Will Wade.  It is probably a good thing if we follow their example.

billiken_roy likes this