More evidence of the evolving impact of NIL ...

Loyola of LA just announced it is terminating 6 sports programs to better position itself to be competitive in the new NIL and transfer portal sports world.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careers/thousands-sign-petition-after-lmu-cuts-6-sports-programs/ar-BB1hhOa2?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=227df1251f62490ea1ae702551797935&ei=21

While some student-athletes no doubt will benefit from the new approach, many student-athletes will be hurt.

courtside and cgeldmacher like this

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This makes zero sense. How does NIL or students transferring have anything to do with these sports? 

Their administration decided to blast the scapegoat du jour for their decision to drop programs that generate $0 revenue. Thats all. Why can’t they just say that?

we are fast approaching the inevitable split of D1 sports into the haves and have nots.   division 1A coming up. what would be cool if it indeed happens is if the have nots create their own tourney, playoffs etc and America decides that they would prefer the have not amateurs over the masked minor league professionals.  let's not forget at one time the favored post season tourney was the NIT and the NCAA tourney wasnt taken near as seriously.   so it could flip again.   who knows.  

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

we are fast approaching the inevitable split of D1 sports into the haves and have nots.   division 1A coming up. what would be cool if it indeed happens is if the have nots create their own tourney, playoffs etc and America decides that they would prefer the have not amateurs over the masked minor league professionals.  let's not forget at one time the favored post season tourney was the NIT and the NCAA tourney wasnt taken near as seriously.   so it could flip again.   who knows.  

Except the NCAA owns the NIt I believe.  Maybe a new tournament though.  The other issue is the have nots will also be paying players just less.

93sporty likes this

54 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Except the NCAA owns the NIt I believe.  Maybe a new tournament though.  The other issue is the have nots will also be paying players just less.

I only used NIT as an example.  Vi couldn't care less what the upcoming D1A tourney and or playoffs will be titled or how it is administered.  

I wouldn't be sure the lesser divisions of college sports will be paying salaries and or bonuses.  Maybe sensible living expenses money but the need for get rich pay for college athletics is crazy.   Imo it is a turnoff for the fans.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Don’t let it stress you out. We can always transition this board into a WashU Bears fan club. 

billiken_roy likes this

12 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I only used NIT as an example.  Vi couldn't care less what the upcoming D1A tourney and or playoffs will be titled or how it is administered.  

I wouldn't be sure the lesser divisions of college sports will be paying salaries and or bonuses.  Maybe sensible living expenses money but the need for get rich pay for college athletics is crazy.   Imo it is a turnoff for the fans.  

ROY: collegiate athletics is dead and gone. This isn't the NCAA or anyone else doing it. It's the COURTS. if a team is good, it becomes popular, people pay money to watch them, they pay players to be even better.

The only way to have what you want is for all the teams to suck, and suck bad to the point that noone, including you, wants to watch.

NIL isn't just D1, it's just that the programs with money are largely all D1. If fans decide they like the "lesser" tournament more.. then the money moves in and they start paying players to get wins and the cycle begins anew. The courts decided that intentionally amateur athletics CANNOT exist legally.

I don't disagree soderball but honestly if I'm gonna watch pure professional basketball why watch minor league pros?   I'll go back to watching the NBA then.  At least they're the Greatest athletes in the world playing basketball.  

cgeldmacher likes this

14 hours ago, JMM28 said:

This makes zero sense. How does NIL or students transferring have anything to do with these sports? 

Their administration decided to blast the scapegoat du jour for their decision to drop programs that generate $0 revenue. Thats all. Why can’t they just say that?

The programs cost money and don't generate revenue. Additionally if players eventually become university employees and demand things like equal pay and steady salaries you want that payroll cut down as much as possible BEFORE it happens.

Further, you don't want donors dumping money into unproductive programs, or wasting facilities money on non-revenue sports. You want the funding concentrated in your highest revenue draws.

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I don't disagree soderball but honestly if I'm gonna watch pure professional basketball why watch minor league pros?   I'll go back to watching the NBA then.  At least they're the Greatest athletes in the world playing basketball.  

I hear you Roy. I want people to be blaming our court system and the politics for what's happened in "collegiate" athletics. I am pissed off and angry at the judges and the politicians and i want others to be as well.

I also think it's necessary to point out and be clear about what this is; because SLU has to follow this same path and we need to get OVER our attachment to players. These guys are just paid yearly mercs and they either win or suck. Root for the jersey and the wins.

7 hours ago, Soderball said:

I hear you Roy. I want people to be blaming our court system and the politics for what's happened in "collegiate" athletics. I am pissed off and angry at the judges and the politicians and i want others to be as well.

I also think it's necessary to point out and be clear about what this is; because SLU has to follow this same path and we need to get OVER our attachment to players. These guys are just paid yearly mercs and they either win or suck. Root for the jersey and the wins.

i agree with this completely.   but i got 45 years invested in the billikens.   long ago the billikens became my passion only exceeded by my family and job.   that said somewhere along the line i became all in for the Shriners and the greatest philanthropy in the world.   so i guess my billikens "itch" isnt as important to me any longer.  and when they make the half in decision (my guess dont know how they will treat the need but betting they wont play all in like the big boys) i expect, and we become more and more insignificant, it wont hurt as badly.  my wardrobe already is becoming more Shriner deep red instead of billiken blue.   life is ever changing and goes on no matter what us insignificants want.  

btw, i believe by monday night harriman might be the interim.   last night had a strange feeling of desparation imo.   and why would doc C show up for UMass?  he's only been to one game all year and now out of the blue he shows up for that?   just my feeling, no one has told me anything but maybe the team owner was in town to make "the move"?  regardless cant happen soon enough.  

Soderball and TheA_Bomb like this

47 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree with this completely.   but i got 45 years invested in the billikens.   long ago the billikens became my passion only exceeded by my family and job.   that said somewhere along the line i became all in for the Shriners and the greatest philanthropy in the world.   so i guess my billikens "itch" isnt as important to me any longer.  and when they make the half in decision (my guess dont know how they will treat the need but betting they wont play all in like the big boys) i expect, and we become more and more insignificant, it wont hurt as badly.  my wardrobe already is becoming more Shriner deep red instead of billiken blue.   life is ever changing and goes on no matter what us insignificants want.  

btw, i believe by monday night harriman might be the interim.   last night had a strange feeling of desparation imo.   and why would doc C show up for UMass?  he's only been to one game all year and now out of the blue he shows up for that?   just my feeling, no one has told me anything but maybe the team owner was in town to make "the move"?  regardless cant happen soon enough.  

I would agree regarding Ford - Ford post-game performance was not a standard approach.  He probably knew something is about to happen.  We will just wait and see.  

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I can root for the Shriners. That's an easy team to support.

I think they wait until the end of the year. My personal fear of CTF being back makes me long for the vaunted mid season canning but I'm guessing that costs more and why throw good money after bad?

I expect SLU will buy in more than you expect. We made a lot of commitments to play big time basketball.

Watch the contract be something ridiculous where it runs April 1 - March 31 so if you fire him before April 1st you're on hook for an entire extra year. And if you wait til April 1, you're behind 25 other schools trying to hire someone 

25 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I think they wait until the end of the year. My personal fear of CTF being back makes me long for the vaunted mid season canning but I'm guessing that costs more and why throw good money after bad?

I expect SLU will buy in more than you expect. We made a lot of commitments to play big time basketball.

It's a whole different level now tho

On 1/27/2024 at 1:08 AM, Wendelprof said:

Loyola of LA just announced it is terminating 6 sports programs to better position itself to be competitive in the new NIL and transfer portal sports world.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careers/thousands-sign-petition-after-lmu-cuts-6-sports-programs/ar-BB1hhOa2?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=227df1251f62490ea1ae702551797935&ei=21

While some student-athletes no doubt will benefit from the new approach, many student-athletes will be hurt.

Since when has Loyola of LA been competitive in any sports?

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

These kids just don’t understand.  That team was so fun watch.

Besides the Bills Loyola Marymount and UNLV were my favorite teams growing up.  My 5 year old had a sports theme day at school a couple weeks, she had on a Gathers youth  jersey thst she wore like a dress. Lots of strange looks but a few big thumbs up from parents who know hoop.

brianstl likes this

I have been watching a lot of college basketball lately. I can assure you that there are a lot of leagues or conferences (Mountain, Missouri Valley) that have teams not based upon NILs, and lower salaried coaches, that really fight hard when they play against one another. Some of these teams are much better than SLU and their players just play for the glory of making their school beat others. The audience and viewership is enthusiastic and abundant. NILs, if they have them, appear to be sponsoring local businesses. This does not mean that they have teams of lower quality players, some of them are better than those from schools that pay very large NILs.

On the other end there are the large schools that do have access to NILs, and believe me when I say that we do not have a chance against them in our best days.

Finally there is a segment of schools that pretend to belong in the top echelon,  have no access to ample NILs but have pretentions to belong at the top level. We have really nice facilities and highly paid HCs and I believe we belong in this segment.

I think we should accept reality, and try to be among the best at a level where we fit. I think we should drop the high and mighty pretense and accept we are not at that level. Get rid of expensive coaches, replacing them with young and viable coaches and players that do not require semi professional payments.

I am absolutely sure we are not at the top level and that we spend the money we spend, in the wrong places.

It would be interesting to see a list of the highest paid teams in college sports. It would also be interesting to see how they spend their money. What is the best spending strategy? I would think concentrate the money on three top players and supplement with role players. 
Does anyone know how much we are spending on the men’s team this year? Do we spend any on the women’s team or other sports?

On 1/27/2024 at 11:48 PM, Soderball said:

The programs cost money and don't generate revenue. Additionally if players eventually become university employees and demand things like equal pay and steady salaries you want that payroll cut down as much as possible BEFORE it happens.

Further, you don't want donors dumping money into unproductive programs, or wasting facilities money on non-revenue sports. You want the funding concentrated in your highest revenue draws.

Yup. Which is what Lindenwood did and got excoriated by those who don’t get it. I’ll say it again, they’re a sleeping giant in the local college sports picture.

20 hours ago, Soderball said:

Problem is, they’ve only had big time mouths. See Biondi and his proclamation of being a top 50 program.

2 hours ago, Brighton said:

Problem is, they’ve only had big time mouths. See Biondi and his proclamation of being a top 50 program.

No they've spent money, they just spent it on the wrong things like CTF and the some fancy office space rather than spending it on NIL funds and rotating the coaching position.

Noone gives a damn about the old country buffet at the chaifetz. They want a salary. Donors can't put their name on a salary so donors hate those and buy worthless buildings that have upkeep costs instead.

I'll just add that I used to think facilities really mattered back in the UB days. I was dead-to-rights wrong. I was horribly wrong. I had no idea what I was talking about. I have learned and I am learning. Facilities are for donors and egos and sometimes for fans. They mean nothing for the quality on the floor.