GDT: SLU v. George Mason

Ford needs 2 more wins for 100 A10 conference wins is that what they said?

That may or may not happen until February 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Because they are not billikens fans.   As far as I was concerned, Mizzou should have kept Kim Anderson forever.

"After the game, Kentucky head coach John Calipari spoke up for his friend and former colleague, encouraging UofL to give Payne time to “do what he does.” Calipari made it clear he watched Louisville’s games, and it’s better than it may seem."

27 minutes ago, slu72 said:

College hoops loves to cover for Travis. 

There are some coaches that you can tell are well liked by national media. For whatever reason, I never really got the idea Ford was one of those coaches. I’m starting to think that I was wrong on that, because he really had that announcer today defending him.

At least we had another late run to put some lipstick on the pig…..

This is what our losses will look like if we choose to walk the ball up the court until the final few minutes of garbage time. We just don’t defend at all, so there really is not a good answer in my opinion. And offensively we don’t have a lead guard or guys who can create shots for their teammates, it’s all one one one. I suppose by fouling and walking the ball up the court in the opening half we at least had them out of sync for a stretch. But, you likely aren’t winning many games that way with such a poor half court defense. The defense played the token pressure that didn’t do much and then when we got in the half court mixing it up some we just have no defensive fundamentals defending one of one making it largely irrelevant whether we drop into a zone or man. And always entertaining to have another unhinged Ford moment, dead man walking.

Clearly without Parker we suck. Anyone know when we get him back?

Soderball likes this

Well they game today went about as expected - fall behind and make a bit of a run to get close and then fall behind again but much larger.  Finally you make a bit of a run to close the gap at the end but still come up well short.  This team keeps finding itself playing behind by double digits for most of the game.  The announcers easily picked up the defensive issues and TOs are killing us.  I wonder how much GM paid for their team?  As far as the NIL issue goes - the elephant in the room is Ford - who can trust that if you give him the money to buy his team will he coach the team to win?

11 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

This is what our losses will look like if we choose to walk the ball up the court until the final few minutes of garbage time. We just don’t defend at all, so there really is not a good answer in my opinion. And offensively we don’t have a lead guard or guys who can create shots for their teammates, it’s all one one one. I suppose by fouling and walking the ball up the court in the opening half we at least had them out of sync for a stretch. But, you likely aren’t winning many games that way with such a poor half court defense. The defense played the token pressure that didn’t do much and then when we got in the half court mixing it up some we just have no defensive fundamentals defending one of one making it largely irrelevant whether we drop into a zone or man. And always entertaining to have another unhinged Ford moment, dead man walking.

The Matthew Rocchio tweet from earlier this week said Parker wouldn't be available this week.  Our next game is at home followed by two road games where we'll be double digit dogs even with Parker in the lineup.

If the goal is to put Parker in a position to succeed, I wouldn't bring him back until after the VCU game.  What would you do?

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The Matthew Rocchio tweet from earlier this week said Parker wouldn't be available this week.  Our next game is at home followed by two road games where we'll be double digit dogs even with Parker in the lineup.

If the goal is to put Parker in a position to succeed, I wouldn't bring him back until after the VCU game.  What would you do?

If I'm Ford I get him on the court asap no matter what

If I'm Parker I apply for a medical redshirt.

Everything says he wants to come back so who knows. Definitely not you and I.

SluSignGuy likes this

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bring him back the first sec he can. 

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thanks, I hadn’t heard anything. I’d certainly give him as much time as he needs at this point giving him ample time to work back to full strength in practice before playing him in games. Knowing nothing about his condition, maybe the Davidson game at home for his return to action? That would give him 2.5 weeks to continue to rehab and ideally get into game shape. And then he would be returning with 2 home games to begin working back. We are playing for a conference tournament run, so I wouldn’t rush him back. But again, I am going on no information beyond knowing foot injuries can be a ***** to recover from in season.

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ya we should discuss how people were saying we would be better without Yuri lol. Funny sh!t

Who said anything about Yuri?

I just thought it was interesting that we used to lead the conference in assists, and suddenly went to last place. That's quite a change.

Leading the league in assists is some seriously selfish ball. make a pass once in awhile!

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

After the Loyola game, I was told 7-10 days — by someone who most definitely would know. 

That would be this coming Wednesday or a week from today.

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

I thought we would improve without Yuri.  Woowee am I stupid. 

Well we have "bigger and faster" Medley this year, we also brought in Meadows and shed some dead weight at the PG position. That's why with our new, unselfish play we are in last place in assists per game and finally off of that 1st place. Nice to see balanced unselfish offense finally.

26 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm fuoking tired guys.

Yeah, I’ve been sick all week and I’m exhausted and way too angry right now. And now I’ve taken it out on Wiz who doesn’t deserve it. At least I got to get out of the house once this week to visit you hahaha.

Yuri was a creator of assists on his own. It’s what he was in HS and he carried it to college ball. It really had little to do with schemes drawn up by Travis, Yuri had unusual court vision. As good as he was at finding the open man what did it get us 20Ws and nowhere after that. Gibby still struggled to get an open look with Yuri. Why? Because he was a marked man who Ford never schemed to get him open looks. We’re seeing the same this season. Parker is a creator that may take some heat of Gibby but even that might not be enough if you can’t defend. And we absolutely suck on D. Again, coaching. We do have a decent core of A10 players the problem is we have a JUCO coach. 
I actually started feeling a little bad for all the criticism and bad mouthing Travis has been subject to on here, but then I thought the guy’s making $2.5mm a year for continually under performing. I don’t feel sorry for him anymore. Not when he’s living large while he continues to disappoint. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Yuri was a creator of assists on his own. It’s what he was in HS and he carried it to college ball. It really had little to do with schemes drawn up by Travis, Yuri had unusual court vision. As good as he was at finding the open man what did it get us 20Ws and nowhere after that. Gibby still struggled to get an open look with Yuri. Why? Because he was a marked man who Ford never schemed to get him open looks. We’re seeing the same this season. Parker is a creator that may take some heat of Gibby but even that might not be enough if you can’t defend. And we absolutely suck on D. Again, coaching. We do have a decent core of A10 players the problem is we have a JUCO coach. 
I actually started feeling a little bad for all the criticism and bad mouthing Travis has been subject to on here, but then I thought the guy’s making $2.5mm a year for continually under performing. I don’t feel sorry for him anymore. Not when he’s living large while he continues to disappoint. 

Our mediocre defense is exacerbated that by the fact that we have to work so hard to score. I believe we'll give up fewer points once Parker becomes a significant contributor.  A Big Three will mask deficiencies on both sides of the ball similar to how Yuri-mania masked deficiencies on both sides of the ball last year.  

The question is will a late-season run be enough to save Coach Ford's job?  Will the BOT be willing to kick the can down the road?  The free-agent market will probably have bigger names by then.  That seems to be the route the BOT is most comfortable with if they want to make a move.

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

And behaves like a maniac. This is the 2nd game I recall him walking off of the bench. I wish I had a better replay, but when he slammed the trash can or whatever in South Carolina you could see a handicapped person sitting real close to where he lost it. Had to be great optics.

Now we just hear excuses and it is tiresome. With the increased funding of the program since he took the job, how do the $ folks even listen to it anymore? If I wasted $ that I’ve spent a lifetime accumulating giving it to SLU hoops, I’d be a heck of a lot more banty than I already am.

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The question is will a late-season run be enough to save Coach Ford's job? 

We're sub-.500 and 0-2 in the conference, unless we get a bye or double-bye in the conference tournament, we're done for the season.

Might not be ironic that CTF’s most success here has been with Isabel going on a tear (iso basketball) and with bully ball (throw up shots and get offensive rebounds).  Not a lot of offensive scheming needed for those approaches.