2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

On 2/11/2024 at 10:54 AM, TheChosenOne said:

Or to have their sons create burner accounts on social media attacking fans or to challenge fans to fight them.

Ford is teetering, time for one of us to accept the responsibility as a fan to agitate him to the point he actually does get physical. I doubt he is capable of doing much damage, so it’s likely minimal physical risk for a large financial gain. Who accepts the mission? Like someone said, grab a drink and watch our emotionally unhinged coach as the heat continues to be turned up.

You can't be serious.  This is getting more than a little unhinged with what you are proposing...............

thatskablamo likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, 73Billiken said:

You can't be serious.  This is getting more than a little unhinged with what you are proposing...............

Yeah, calling an audible for a Gillooly-level shenanigan isn’t a good look. I mean, it would be fun, but let’s not stoop to that level. 

1 hour ago, 73Billiken said:

Surely his post was dry humor. Of course nobody is suggesting purposefully baiting of Travis Ford into an altercation directly. Now if someone want's to buy me two tickets right behind the SLU bench for Friday, I'll happily make my presence known verbally in a respectfully loud but negative manner. Probably just a lot of yelling "maybe try pressing" "push the ball" 😎

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Chris Holtmann is out at Ohio State.

Wow he was in the conference tournament title game last year, 7 seed and 2nd round of NCAA lost to Nova. Had some tough losses this year but nothing too aggregious.  Not sure how his team plays but I agree with @3star_recruit this is the kinda coach SLU has a realistic shot at and would hire. Plus maybe that buyout the Ohio State University could augment his salary for a few seasons.

gabriel likes this

3 minutes ago, gabriel said:

Any insight on the other schools we will be competing against for head coaching candidates?

Big openings will be DePaul, Vanderbilt, Creighton?

Cronin is looking safer lately at UCLA 

Does Woodson at IU another year? Probably

UofL for sure will be open.

Stanford, OSU, Michigan, ASU, UW

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/ncaab/college-basketball-hot-seat-bm01/

gabriel likes this

21 minutes ago, gabriel said:

Any insight on the other schools we will be competing against for head coaching candidates?

Where is McDermott going, is he retiring?  Otherwise he’s perfectly safe at his job.

1 minute ago, TRN said:

Where is McDermott going, is he retiring?  Otherwise he’s perfectly safe at his job.

Lot of college basketball insiders are reporting he's going to be interviewing for Ohio State and potentially Michigan. 

I guess McDermott could pull an Altman and go get a big final contract somewhere else. But he’ll always be the main draw at Creighton unlike the other schools.  I’m sure that he’s paid well there, too.

I'm hopeful that firing a coach midseason is becoming more of a thing. No I don't think SLU has the balls to ever do this but schools need to do more work than ever to keep kids around and to keep the image of the program looking good. With players getting paid now, money is going to talk so if you're not performing someone needs to go. And I'm glad it's the coaches and not the players (for now). Also these players deserve for schools to do whatever possible to give them the best shot at winning (this is where SLU and their boosters have failed mightily this year).

25 minutes ago, TRN said:

I guess McDermott could pull an Altman and go get a big final contract somewhere else. But he’ll always be the main draw at Creighton unlike the other schools.  I’m sure that he’s paid well there, too.

Speaking of Altman, his seat is getting really warm.  He might have to make the tournament to keep his job and they would probably be on the outside looking in today.

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Speaking of Altman, his seat is getting really warm.  He might have to make the tournament to keep his job and they would probably be on the outside looking in today.

Altman is 65 and strikes me as a guy who might not be well equipped for the NIL/free agency madness.

slufan13 likes this

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Altman is 65 and strikes me as a guy who might not be well equipped for the NIL/free agency madness.

I think a lot of the movement we will see this off season will be programs moving on from guys they don’t believe fit the NIL environment.  I think more coaches than believed are in danger of getting fired because of that reason.

slufan13 and ACE like this

From the Columbus Dispatch on Holtmann:

By his fourth season, Ohio State earned a No. 2 seed to the 2021 NCAA Tournament, its best seed in eight years — but once there, it was stunned in the first round by No. 15 seed Oral Roberts.

That defeat embodied the larger struggles of Holtmann’s teams in the NCAA Tournament: Though the Buckeyes consistently made the 68-team field, they never advanced past the second round. By contrast, they made it at least as far as the Sweet 16 five times under Matta, including Final Four appearances in 2007 and 2012.

Though his overall record was impressive, Holtmann went just 67-65 in Big Ten play. Even in some of his best years, his teams had a habit of stumbling down the stretch of the season, losing four of its final seven in 2017-18, eight of its final 12 in 2018-19, six of its final nine in 2020-21 and five of its final seven in 2021-22.

57 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think a lot of the movement we will see this off season will be programs moving on from guys they don’t believe fit the NIL environment.  I think more coaches than believed are in danger of getting fired because of that reason.

It will be interesting to see where the "hot shot recruiter" types fit in if at all. 

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, gabriel said:

Add Ohio State. Other possible is Michigan. Izzo may retire at MSU. 

40 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Add Ohio State. Other possible is Michigan. Izzo may retire at MSU. 

Izzo told Parrish or Norlander can't recall that he wasn't going to retire but that could change