SLU Baseball 2024

OkieBilliken

Quick update for former pitcher.   SLU alum Miller Hogan got as far as AAA with the Rays but was released before last year due to injury.  He pitched will last summer in an independent league and is currently having a dominant season in the Puerto Rican winter league.    It would be great for him to get an MLB spring invite.  Yo Moreliak, Cardinals could use some more arms.  

BillTheCat and Lord Elrond like this

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, OkieBilliken said:

Quick update for former pitcher.   SLU alum Miller Hogan got as far as AAA with the Rays but was released before last year due to injury.  He pitched will last summer in an independent league and is currently having a dominant season in the Puerto Rican winter league.    It would be great for him to get an MLB spring invite.  Yo Moreliak, Cardinals could use some more arms.  

You type about as well as I do Moreliak 

On 12/21/2023 at 5:01 PM, Cowboy II said:

-funny CMay didn't mention this when he was on with Frank and discussed dining in the Center

-hopefully all teams can eat in season

-I guess it comes down to money

Spring sports season... all non-basketball / soccer athletes still have to pay to eat in Champions Center.  

17 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

Spring sports season... all non-basketball / soccer athletes still have to pay to eat in Champions Center.  

Considering baseball players are only on partial scholarships at best, that's pretty pathetic.  

49 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Considering baseball players are only on partial scholarships at best, that's pretty pathetic.  

-let's say 400 student athletes at a cost of $30 per s/a is $12,000 per day, I guessed at $30 per s/a and the 400 is from the BClub brochure

-that adds up quickly

-I hope we didn't build the garage and then not have the money to buy the car

Sod isn’t down yet, which is bad to begin with, that field should be 100% turf. DeSmet, Chaminade, CBC, Vianney, Maryville, Lindenwood, SIUE, all turf fields. Guess Chris May can’t raise the money. He can’t build press box, covered stands and suitable lockers as well. Can’t fund NIL. Can’t pay off CC. Can’t do much it seems except talk a big game. Can’t allow ALL student athletes to eat in CC. Can’t do anything but make excuses. 

AD Can’t May has a great sound to it….sadly. Very fitting. 

48 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Sod outfield. I’m still in disbelief. Throwing good money away literally. Should be turfed!

So if May put in turf would you be on here saying turf is unhealthy and real baseball is played on grass?

3 hours ago, willie said:

So if May put in turf would you be on here saying turf is unhealthy and real baseball is played on grass?

No. Ask the coach and I’ll bet him and the players would love all turf. How can places like Chaminade and Vianney turf their fields but SLU can’t? The whole baseball set up is bad, bad, bad. Can’t May is a moron. Not one baseball guy thinks that set up is good. Not one. Defend the guy all you want. Doesn’t change reality. 

16 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-fund it

You shouldn't build it and talk up how much it is going to help all your athletes if you don't already have the funding in place.  Chris May was the one out there talking about how all of the Champions Facilities were to benefit all of SLU's athletes.  I would not have a big problem with this if the message from those at SLU the whole time wasn't different than the actual reality.  May was saying these things even on the day the facility opened.

SLU_Lax and Lord Elrond like this

11 hours ago, slu92 said:

No. Ask the coach and I’ll bet him and the players would love all turf. How can places like Chaminade and Vianney turf their fields but SLU can’t? The whole baseball set up is bad, bad, bad. Can’t May is a moron. Not one baseball guy thinks that set up is good. Not one. Defend the guy all you want. Doesn’t change reality. 

My son played select ball through HS and a couple years at D1.  He totally prefers a well maintained natural field over turf.  It's been a while, but there are (were) some very good natural surface fields in St. Louis;  Marquette, Lafayette, Lindbergh being three in particular that were pretty good. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

My son played select ball through HS and a couple years at D1.  He totally prefers a well maintained natural field over turf.  It's been a while, but there are (were) some very good natural surface fields in St. Louis;  Marquette, Lafayette, Lindbergh being three in particular that were pretty good. 

Yes this would be nice, below the mason dixon line and with a budget for constant maintenance. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This makes sense to me.

Some of the high schools are going to turf for high usage reasons.  These schools may have Varsity, JV, and a frosh teams all sharing the same field.  They must get practices and games in between 3PM and darkness.  Anything they can do to eliminate rainouts is huge.  Turf over grass helps eliminate rainouts.  Of course, lights help increase usage as well.

image.thumb.png.d23d4647e4d369930ce9c4ff395ed269.png

This is a map of the closest D1 college baseball team to each county. Reddit has a poster whose plan is to do an imperialism map about once a week during the season, if you don't know what an imperialism map is - it's where if you beat a team you take their land.  If you squint you can see a tiny Billiken around STL.  

Looking forward to the boys adding a lot of eastern seaboard territory this spring.  

1 hour ago, BillTheCat said:

image.thumb.png.d23d4647e4d369930ce9c4ff395ed269.png

This is a map of the closest D1 college baseball team to each county. Reddit has a poster whose plan is to do an imperialism map about once a week during the season, if you don't know what an imperialism map is - it's where if you beat a team you take their land.  If you squint you can see a tiny Billiken around STL.  

Looking forward to the boys adding a lot of eastern seaboard territory this spring.  

We swept Minnesota and St. Thomas last year.   That state should already belong to us.   CANNOT lose to SIU or Lindenwood.   Must retain the homeland.  

On 12/21/2023 at 5:00 PM, BillTheCat said:

I don’t know the details of what went into the decision… but have heard lack of a suitable locker room for away team may have been a factor.  Hendrickson was able to secure improved lights, but was looking for funding to get them installed.  New outfield grass is being put down currently.  
Going into Fall SLU was designated as the host… now it’s back to VCU.

It now sounds like new baseball lighting will not be installed until Fall 2024 at earliest.  Improved LED lights were donated, but there are apparently no funds available to install them.  

All Friday home games are currently slated for 3pm starts, and no Saturday night home games.

12 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

It now sounds like new baseball lighting will not be installed until Fall 2024 at earliest.  Improved LED lights were donated, but there are apparently no funds available to install them.  

All Friday home games are currently slated for 3pm starts, and no Saturday night home games.

Is SLU broke? Serious question. 

55 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

Well the BoT is all about brick and mortar, structures, etc.  Maybe they can take the relative pittance to install the lights out of the hallowed endowment fund?

33 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Well the BoT is all about brick and mortar, structures, etc.  Maybe they can take the relative pittance to install the lights out of the hallowed endowment fund?

Endowments definitely don't correlate with commitment or results unfortunately...

SLU reported endowment:  $1.4 Billion (and change).

2023 College World Series Program Oral Roberts reported endowment:  $46 Million.  Their basketball program went 30-5 last year and was knocked out of the NCAAs by Duke.  

Oral Roberts Baseball facility:

Stadium_Drone052821_41_copy.jpg&height=7

BTW - that field has a turf infield and a natural grass outfield... there are bigger fish to fry at SLU than the composition of the field.  ;)

Get a winning coach the resources he's asking for.

Bill im just saying SLU has money that isn't all restricted.  This cost to put up the lights compared to the Fund Balance is a spit in the ocean.  What's the purpose of the fund if not to make Saint Louis University better and the experience of Saint Louis University better? 

Btw Bill I miss Bloom County every day.   No doubt my favorite comic strip ever 

BillTheCat likes this