Jump to content

SLU Baseball 2024


OkieBilliken

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

Endowments definitely don't correlate with commitment or results unfortunately...

SLU reported endowment:  $1.4 Billion (and change).

2023 College World Series Program Oral Roberts reported endowment:  $46 Million.  Their basketball program went 30-5 last year and was knocked out of the NCAAs by Duke.  

Oral Roberts Baseball facility:

Stadium_Drone052821_41_copy.jpg&height=7

Visited a few years ago when the BIlls won a series there.  They also have a Praying Hands statue at the entrance of the school which is pretty creepy

image.png.8bc2b824773d413a1788b25bed4f7f7d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

Bill im just saying SLU has money that isn't all restricted.  This cost to put up the lights compared to the Fund Balance is a spit in the ocean.  What's the purpose of the fund if not to make Saint Louis University better and the experience of Saint Louis University better?   

100% agree... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

IMG_9722.thumb.jpeg.a47281efb7ae11356f19ab2a3b04257b.jpeg

I thought this was a post on the progress of SLU’s, NCAA Division 1 baseball field and realized it’s DeSmet Jesuit High School my bad. Plus it’s all turf, SLU still doesn’t have sod in outfield which is throwing money away. Weird how it’s hard to lay sod in middle of winter in St. Louis? Chris May is the absolute best, a nonstop gift of stupidity and comedy that keeps on giving….he can’t do what DeSmet can do, yet let’s allow him to hire a 3rd mbb coach and come up with a plan for NIL. Jesus help this program. It’s not funny anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BillTheCat said:

Lindenwood received new turf over the offseason... looking pretty sharp.  They would be roughly 5 run underdogs to SLU right now.  

1500x500

Sure looks nice, and you can play and practice a lot more with turf in this climate. So what does the SLU field look like these days? It was mud city last I saw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2024 at 1:04 PM, BillTheCat said:

image.thumb.png.d23d4647e4d369930ce9c4ff395ed269.png

 

This is a map of the closest D1 college baseball team to each county. Reddit has a poster whose plan is to do an imperialism map about once a week during the season, if you don't know what an imperialism map is - it's where if you beat a team you take their land.  If you squint you can see a tiny Billiken around STL.  

Looking forward to the boys adding a lot of eastern seaboard territory this spring.  

 

 

 

Lindenwood won the second game which is why they have much of the metro on the MO side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Lindenwood won the second game which is why they have much of the metro on the MO side.

All that purple area just south of the Minnesota Gophers should be commandeered two weeks from today when SLU squares off against St. Thomas... then Maine the next day.  Glad they're not hockey matches.

Temps in Port Charlotte, FL slated to be high 70s - low 80s.   Oh, to be a snowbird... 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

All that purple area just south of the Minnesota Gophers should be commandeered two weeks from today when SLU squares off against St. Thomas... then Maine the next day.  Glad they're not hockey matches.

Temps in Port Charlotte, FL slated to be high 70s - low 80s.   Oh, to be a snowbird... 

 

I know the feeling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2024 at 6:14 PM, willie said:

So if May put in turf would you be on here saying turf is unhealthy and real baseball is played on grass?

All I know is that The Winningest NCAA Baseball Program of All Time has a turf field and I'm pretty sure they could afford grass if they wanted it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another good comp for a baseball facility SLU could be proud of is UCA in Conway, Arkansas.  D2 until 2010, they went full turf in 2011, and have hosted over 1,000 fans for games with the attendance record coming against Southeast Louisiana, who SLU will play a series against in March.  

Stands on both sides, excellent lights, and a standing deck in the outfield... looks fun.  This school has nowhere near the financial resources in any fashion that SLU does. 

UCA endowment reported at $52 million last year.  SLU endowment in 2022:  $1.4 billion.  

BearStadium02-web.jpg&height=900&width=1

BearStadium01-web.jpg&height=534&width=8

BearStadiumdeck.jpg&height=455&width=683

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMG_0309.thumb.jpeg.f7d7e913801e56b18bb085c859938187.jpegAs I walked to the game from Humphrey’s I noticed still no sod down in the SLU outfield. WTF Is going on? Whomever decided this was a good project to do in the winter instead of the summer when team was done shouldn’t have a job. The picture above is exactly what slu should have, IUC Flames field in Chicago. SLU baseball has been to NCAA 3 times and won the A10 six times with a brutal set up. A guy I know made a great point. More people, kids in St. Louis follow or play baseball in the summers around town. He said on average SLU could make at least $100k alone renting out the field to local club teams, tournament companies, games, etc…..$100k! I will bet that’s more revenue than WSOC and WBB makes annually. Plus STL is a baseball town. Why is this so hard for SLU leadership to understand? None of it makes sense. Gives me no hope mbb gets fixed. This program might be cursed. Not being funny. 

BillTheCat likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slu92 said:

IMG_0309.thumb.jpeg.f7d7e913801e56b18bb085c859938187.jpegAs I walked to the game from Humphrey’s I noticed still no sod down in the SLU outfield. WTF Is going on? Whomever decided this was a good project to do in the winter instead of the summer when team was done shouldn’t have a job. The picture above is exactly what slu should have, IUC Flames field in Chicago. SLU baseball has been to NCAA 3 times and won the A10 six times with a brutal set up. A guy I know made a great point. More people, kids in St. Louis follow or play baseball in the summers around town. He said on average SLU could make at least $100k alone renting out the field to local club teams, tournament companies, games, etc…..$100k! I will bet that’s more revenue than WSOC and WBB makes annually. Plus STL is a baseball town. Why is this so hard for SLU leadership to understand? None of it makes sense. Gives me no hope mbb gets fixed. This program might be cursed. Not being funny. 

It sounds like the sod is scheduled to be delivered Monday, and they hope to install it Tuesday/Wednesday.

Maybe the mild temps will help it root in, but that will still take awhile… footing will be a concern.

Tomorrow’s scrimmage is at GCS again.  
 

SLU would absolutely make good money with summer tournaments, not to mention even a few modest improvements would have prevented SLU from losing the hosting of 2024’s A10 tournament.  Lindenwood hosts many of the Play9 showcase tournaments now, with teams coming in from multiple states.  This obviously helps the surrounding area economically as well.
 

If May is looking around for friends during all the basketball embarrassment, I kind of doubt he’ll find one in the baseball program.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boone.thumb.png.a2b8811f902b1150ee0643f31504b148.pngA couple of my Charlotte-based colleagues and I have made an annual golf run in mid-April up to Boone, NC. We play Olde Beau up in Roaring Gap, NC on Friday and Boone Golf Club on Saturday. Last April, our trip coincided with an App State home slate against ODU, and let me tell you - this is a ball field. Absolutely amazing setting for baseball. Fire pits and Adirondack chairs down the foul lines, pretty cheap ticket prices and a ridiculous lineup of craft beers on hand. It’s a huge student event - they come out to support the Mountaineers and even Yosef, the mascot, shows up. This is good collegiate baseball from a facilities and environment standpoint. 
 

Boone is also a diamond in the rough town foodie-wise, too. The Dan’l Boone for brunch is a can’t-miss! 

BillTheCat likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

Oklahoma is building a new 4,200 seat stadium.

For Softball.  
$48 million.  Their goal is to have it functional by March 1 and continue work thru spring to completion.

image.thumb.jpeg.65410cf97e8a701bc48b82dee3bda39a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.abaeeffb6532241203435ef5e8446bf3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.132c9f2c085d87fe01eb43a959a1b59c.jpeg

OU softball is insanely huge.  They have averaged attendance above seating capacity for a number of years now.  My guess is that it will actually be a revenue generating sport for OU with this new stadium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

OU softball is insanely huge.  They have averaged over attendance above seating capacity for a number of years now.  My guess is that it will actually be a revenue generating sport for OU with this new stadium.

A move to lure the WCWS out of OKC and down the road to Norman, perhaps? I mean, if Creighton can play all their baseball home games at the site of the CWS, I guess Boomer Softball Sooner should be able to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, brianstl said:

OU softball is insanely huge.  They have averaged over attendance above seating capacity for a number of years now.  My guess is that it will actually be a revenue generating sport for OU with this new stadium.

We really just need 500-1000 seats max. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

We really just need 500-1000 seats max. 

Let’s just get the turf on and the lights installed for now.   There are probably about 500 or so college facilities at many levels that put ours to shame.  There are no less than 10 within an hour drive for me that I wish we had.  Unless we change leadership and replace them with people who give a crap, nothing is going to happen.  We can keep posting pictures of better fields to torture ourselves but I’m pretty sure our athletic department doesn’t care.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Let’s just get the turf on and the lights installed for now.   There are probably about 500 or so college facilities at many levels that put ours to shame.  There are no less than 10 within an hour drive for me that I wish we had.  Unless we change leadership and replace them with people who give a crap, nothing is going to happen.  We can keep posting pictures of better fields to torture ourselves but I’m pretty sure our athletic department doesn’t care.  

Who are you telling?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My son plays select baseball tournaments throughout the summer around the area.  It’s sad how far SLU is behind other local colleges - Lindenwood, Maryville, SIUE, etc.  There are plenty of high schools with better facilities.  

Some of the organizations actually pay for high schools getting new turf infields. In exchange, they get exclusive access to the fields over summer to host tournaments.  They’d probably pay for SLU to put up the lights for a similar arrangement.  But the athletic department isn’t that creative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

OU softball is insanely huge.  They have averaged attendance above seating capacity for a number of years now.  My guess is that it will actually be a revenue generating sport for OU with this new stadium.

OU gets thousands of people to come out to women’s softball, Nebraska has sold out women’s volleyball for years (they play in the same place as the basketball teams do. Plenty of other colleges have found a way to make some money at sports that we would consider non-revenue generating at SLU. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

OU gets thousands of people to come out to women’s softball, Nebraska has sold out women’s volleyball for years (they play in the same place as the basketball teams do. Plenty of other colleges have found a way to make some money at sports that we would consider non-revenue generating at SLU. 

 Nebraska VB actually plays in the Devaney Center, the old basketball arena that was retrofitted for VB and Wrestling with around 8k seats.  They are planning to have a few games at Pinnacle Bank Arena to allow for more fans to be able to attend (15k).  But it does turn a profit, one of the few women’s teams nationally that does for any sport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...