Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

6 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Well I appreciate your loyalty and commitment to the Billikens (that's why we all come here) even if I don't agree with your methods or think that they are necessary.  I think changes will happen.  The people who the changes are going to happen to might even realize that they will occur.  If these changes are already going to occur, I just think that your actions are adding unnecessary embarrassment to folks who, regardless of the results, were giving their best effort at making a program we love successful. Did it work out? No.  Were they really, truly trying to make it work out?  Yes.  Are their transgressions worthy of the public embarrassment you are attempting to put them through? No.

Agree about the embarrassment effort by going into a 21st birthday celebration for his son.  Really a punch below the waist. 

A- Bomb, an interesting point is that it was not a team party event as many others were in attendance.  Your effort in this mission seems to be well thought out but using that item in your email as a reason for Ford's ouster is not up to the standard of the rest of your goal

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, bauman said:

Agree about the embarrassment effort by going into a 21st birthday celebration for his son.  Really a punch below the waist. 

A- Bomb, an interesting point is that it was not a team party event as many others were in attendance.  Your effort in this mission seems to be well thought out but using that item in your email as a reason for Ford's ouster is not up to the standard of the rest of your goal

I disagree. My daughter was a student at school during the time in question.  I got weekly emails regarding all the measures SLU students, faculty and employees had to follow. They were detailed and they were strict. I paid particular attention as Terri Rebmann PhD a former professor of mine in the Biosecurity MS Program was the special advisor to President Pestello. She advised on the protocols.  Dropping off your kid at SLU was a challenge, they had to have immediate COVID tests and often re-tested.  Students weren't allowed all the normal activities that students do. SLU made college nearly unbearable as there was no sense of community and everyone was isolated. They could not gather in groups at all at certain points. There were consequences for students and organizations that violated the protocols. The emails were so threatening from SLU regarding the consequences for violating COVID protocols, at one point they had to walk back the threats.

I'm not sure if the allegation is true, but if it is, Ford's the highest profile employee in the entire university.  He's supposed to be an example, and he has extra incentive to keep himself and the players healthy. I see it a grave error in judgement and clear public violation. Not only that it may have directly led to an immensely negative impact on the entire season. Furthermore, treating Ford differently than they treated any other student, employee, or staff member is inequitable treatment. It exposes the school to lawsuits.

Did it happen?  I want to know. If so he should be fired for cause, no buy out.

SLU ruined the college experience of thousands of students while a terrible basketball coach flaunted the rules. Is it a punch below the waist to point it out? Will my daughter ever have a college experience like so many others? Or should she just have broken the rules like the basketball coach? Only problem is for her she risked loss of scholarship and expulsion? While Ford just keeps cashing those #TeamBlue $2.5mil checks.

9 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I disagree. My daughter was a student at school during the time in question.  I got weekly emails regarding all the measures SLU students, faculty and employees had to follow. They were detailed and they were strict. I paid particular attention as Terri Rebmann PhD a former professor of mine in the Biosecurity MS Program was the special advisor to President Pestello. She advised on the protocols.  Dropping off your kid at SLU was a challenge, they had to have immediate COVID tests and often re-tested.  Students weren't allowed all the normal activities that students do. SLU made college nearly unbearable as there was no sense of community and everyone was isolated. They could not gather in groups at all at certain points. There were consequences for students and organizations that violated the protocols. The emails were so threatening from SLU regarding the consequences for violating COVID protocols, at one point they had to walk back the threats.

I'm not sure if the allegation is true, but if it is, Ford's the highest profile employee in the entire university.  He's supposed to be an example, and he has extra incentive to keep himself and the players healthy. I see it a grave error in judgement and clear public violation. Not only that it may have directly led to an immensely negative impact on the entire season. Furthermore, treating Ford differently than they treated any other student, employee, or staff member is inequitable treatment. It exposes the school to lawsuits.

Did it happen?  I want to know. If so he should be fired for cause, no buy out.

SLU ruined the college experience of thousands of students while a terrible basketball coach flaunted the rules. Is it a punch below the waist to point it out? Will my daughter ever have a college experience like so many others? Or should she just have broken the rules like the basketball coach? Only problem is for her she risked loss of scholarship and expulsion? While Ford just keeps cashing those #TeamBlue $2.5mil checks.

I think people have already forgotten just how strict the Covid protocols were especially on campuses and just how unthinkable it would have been to throw a party in the midst of it. 

Could have been part of Ford’s continuing search for coaching knowledge:

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/satire-travis-fords-entire-career-one-big-misunderstanding/

11 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Could have been part of Ford’s continuing search for coaching knowledge:

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/satire-travis-fords-entire-career-one-big-misunderstanding/

Like I've mentioned before Mr. Pickens and OSU only needed one losing season to realize TF was toast! I've said from the very start he was a bad hire. Hopefully, he and the AD are both gone after what is going to be a  disastrous losing season!

3 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Like I've mentioned before Mr. Pickens and OSU only needed one losing season to realize TF was toast! I've said from the very start he was a bad hire. Hopefully, he and the AD are both gone after what is going to be a  disastrous losing season!

I'm not saying TF doesn't deserve to be sent packing (it seems likely that will happen), but I wouldn't hold up "Mr. Pickens and OSU" as models of how to run a bball program. They haven't exactly been knocking them dead since TF.

slufan13 and billiken_roy like this

I appreciate the posters that are nice people and are not into harsh criticism or action. Firing people is not good and it's something that should be avoided if possible. Also I'm sure that criticizing someone for family things is distasteful. I agree with you. However, I'm not criticizing the kid or the family. I'm criticizing the judgement. SLU was very strict during COVID as were many schools. So strict they started mandatory room inspections in the dorms and apartments. The VP of Student Life sent out threatening emails. Take your personal views of COVID out of this and look at SLU the employer in this situation. SLU felt that the protocols were saving lives. They took extraordinary measures to enforce the protocols. If the top paid employee, the most visible employee, very openly violated these protocols that is a grave error in judgement. The kind that could lead to being fired for cause. Furthermore, if that incident led to the team contracting COVID-19 and hurting the season. 1. it risked the student athletes health. 2. it cost the University the revenue that an NCAA tournament appearance provides. 3. It opens the school up to lawsuits.

Here's 2 emails from President Pestello.  One outlines the rules against gatherings on or off campus. The other links to a pledge to follow the protocols that all students, faculty and staff had to sign. So there is no excuse of being ignorant to the rules.

Pestello Email 5NOV20_copy.pdf Pestello 11AUG20 Campus Commitment _copy.pdf

Alleged Party was 23 December 2020, after the emails above and after the "Campus Commitment" to abide by the protocols. The party was allegedly at The Boundary in the Chesire Inn. Witnesses have reported seeing pictures of coaches and players in attendance. Some reported pictures of the event have been shared online on X and other social media outlets.

SLU FORD Pictures Boundary Party 23DEC20.png

NextYearBill likes this

19 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

This is strictly hypothetical, because I haven’t held a sign since my student section days, but would a simple black and white sign saying “Ford Out” be allowed into the arena?  Or would it be confiscated/security involved to prevent it?  I feel like it wouldn’t be allowed to fly.  I’ve only ever seen that one shirt that a guy had made that said Fire Ford on one side and Fire May for not Firing Ford on the other… and what were they gonna make him do, strip down?  Also if you’re on here do you sell those shirts? 

I've got a Cricut machine.  I could, easily, make shirts for anyone who wants one. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Alleged Party was 23 December 2020, after the emails above and after the "Campus Commitment" to abide by the protocols. The party was allegedly at The Boundary in the Chesire Inn. Witnesses have reported seeing pictures of coaches and players in attendance. Some reported pictures of the event have been shared online on X and other social media outlets.

Special privileges for special people I guess.

Didn't we miss like two months worth of games as well? Not saying it was due to this incident, but Ford sure liked to set precedent.

Ford isn't #TeamBlue; he's #TeamGreen.

And no, especially after years of excuses, blaming everyone but himself.. he is fair game for pretty much every criticism. Absolutely agree.

20 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Should be sent to Pestello and HR? 

6 minutes ago, willie said:

Don't you think if this was a causeable reason for firing it would have to have been after the 20-21 season? 

Ever hear of plausible deniability? They can ignore it until they can't ignore it. Then they must act. Happens all the time. Then it becomes who knew what and when. The cover up is often worse than the offense.

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Ever hear of plausible deniability? They can ignore it until they can't ignore it. Then they must act. Happens all the time. Then it becomes who knew what and when. The cover up is often worse than the offense.

It was all over the place. I beleive it made the paper. 

Here is the timeline:

Party happens Dec. 23, 2020

SLU goes on COVID pause Dec. 30, 2020

SLU cracks the Top 25 a few days later, early Jan. 2021 following a strong non-conference showing. BTW, those who say crazy sh!t comparing the Ford era to the Crews era or saying things like he recruits like Sodie are hurting their own credibility and distracting from some legit criticisms of TF. 

Here is the link with the timeline: https://slubillikens.com/news/2021/1/4/mens-basketball-billikens-ranked-in-latest-ap-top-25-poll.aspx

And to suggest that SLU should have fired TF right after this party, when the team was ranked is also living in a fantasy land.

IMO, Ford made a huge mistake and it was a turning point that will likely prove to be his undoing. That team finished in the First 4 out of the NCAA Tourney due to the long pause. An NCAA appearance then would have likely enhanced recruiting and bought him goodwill among the fanbase.

The following year, he gets a terrible break losing Perk, costing another solid chance at a bid, and then last year, was a poorly constructed roster and relying too much on the return of a full healthy Perk was misguided. Lost opportunities, recruiting regresses and now here Ford is on the hot seat.

He will ultimately pay for his actions on Dec. 23, 2020. There is a justice in that.

slufan13 likes this

1 minute ago, ACE said:

And to suggest that SLU should have fired TF right after this party, when the team was ranked is also living in a fantasy land.

Like I said before winning cures all.  Lose and you got problems. See Gundy survival at OSU,  see Harbaugh at Michigan, see Adams fired at TTU and Huggins at WVU. 

You win you can overcome issues. You lose and you don't. At the time he was winning. Now he's not. That's what I'm suggesting, SLU act like every other college program that wants to win. Save the $7.5mil nice nest egg for the BVF.

Thanks for the timeline.

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

Here is the timeline:

SLU cracks the Top 25 a few days later, early Jan. 2021 following a strong non-conference showing. BTW, those who say crazy sh!t comparing the Ford era to the Crews era or saying things like he recruits like Sodie are hurting their own credibility and distracting from some legit criticisms of TF. 

Here is the link with the timeline: https://slubillikens.com/news/2021/1/4/mens-basketball-billikens-ranked-in-latest-ap-top-25-poll.aspx

IMO, Ford made a huge mistake and it was a turning point that will likely prove to be his undoing. That team finished in the First 4 out of the NCAA Tourney due to the long pause. An NCAA appearance then would have likely enhanced recruiting and bought him goodwill among the fanbase.

The following year, he gets a terrible break losing Perk, costing another solid chance at a bid, and then last year, was a poorly constructed roster and relying too much on the return of a full healthy Perk was misguided. Lost opportunities, recruiting regresses and now here Ford is on the hot seat.

He will ultimately pay for his actions on Dec. 23, 2020. There is a justice in that.

Very well said. A tournament appearance that season changes a ton. I'm still not sure Ford is a great fit in the transfer/NIL era but I don't think he'd be as much on the hot-seat if not for what happened that season. I certainly don't think the bottom would be falling out like it seems to be this season

2 hours ago, ACE said:

Here is the timeline:

Ford’s recruiting post-NIL is very comparable to Sodie.  He was a far superior recruiter pre-NIL, which makes you wonder what he was doing to stand out that he can’t do now. 

10 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Ford’s recruiting post-NIL is very comparable to Sodie.  He was a far superior recruiter pre-NIL, which makes you wonder what he was doing to stand out that he can’t do now. 

If Ford can't recruit, then he's worthless.  Because he sure isn't an X's and O's guy. 

Bizziken likes this

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Anyone backing retention of Travis Ford at this point is not a Billiken fan. They are a Travis Ford fan. Sad. 

I have yet to see an argument for retaining him other than fear we can’t do better. You think we have the right leadership in place for the AD? Then trust them to make a good hire that maximizes the potential of this program. It should be a no brainer for anyone with a vested interest in SLU Basketball that change is needed.