Is this the slow but inevitable death of college athletics?

Wendelprof

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the website:

"While the algorithm includes deal data, it does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals athletes have completed to date, nor does it set an athlete’s NIL valuation for their entire career. The On3 NIL Valuation calculates the optimized NIL opportunity for athletes relative to the overall NIL market and projects out to as long as 12 months into the future."

I don't know if it's the death and I'm gonna wait, watch and see. But if nothing's done to at least rein things in, I'll probably no longer be interested. College sports started as an extracurricular activity. The tail started wagging the dog long ago, but it's now become pro sports.

AGB91 and billiken_roy like this

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

So a kid takes a $1/2 mm deal from Ol’ State U for his FR year. He goes off but not NBA ready. So, he can transfer for more money. That is pro sports my friends. Plain and simple. It’s called free agency. 

Yes. Players are year-to-year and a roster must be BUILT FROM SCRATCH USING THE AVAILABLE FUNDS EVERY YEAR. 

Player development and such nonsense is just that.. nonsense.

6 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I don't know if it's the death and I'm gonna wait, watch and see. But if nothing's done to at least rein things in, I'll probably no longer be interested. College sports started as an extracurricular activity. The tail started wagging the dog long ago, but it's now become pro sports.

I’m of the same thought process.  It’s out of control and needs to be pulled way back.  Even if that meant the talent in college basketball isn’t as good because the top kids go g-league or wherever else for pay checks.  

I don’t blame any one side in particular for playing the game now. Kids want and can get paid.  So do coaches.  ADs want to win. So do donors and alumni.  Agents and shoe companies want and can get their cuts as well.  The one big hypocrisy being the NCAA complaining that the very system they created and exploited for decades is now utter chaos.

36 minutes ago, slu72 said:

The P5 or P4 or P6 become the major leagues of college sports and the mids become the their feeder system. Say Zhang really develops this year or next and averages a double double who comes knocking waving s basketful of cash? 

Zhang is an international player.  There are no clear rules for what compensation international players are allowed to accept.  

Going after foreign players and players who have already exhausted their transfer possibilities (Ezewiro) are sensible counter strategies to portal free agency.  Unfortunately the NCAA is dragging their feet on eligibility and nullifying the effectiveness of these strategies.

this is sickening.   the only reason to follow college athletics imo was for the supposed purity and love of the game that the players performed for.   now since they are becoming professional, we might as well turn our attention back to the nba.   If we want to see talent, their is no doubt they are the real deal, not the up and coming players. 

maybe it wont be so bad to be left out of a reorganization and the new D2 will be the real college basketball while D1 becomes the true nba minor league?   

look at it this way.   Would you tune in on TV to watch a tournament of the G League?   or would you rather tune in to watch the new March madness set up the same way it is now only the P5 teams arent included?   i think i might be more interested in the REAL college tournament instead of the NBA minor league.

Billikenbooster and AGB91 like this

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

this is sickening.   the only reason to follow college athletics imo was for the supposed purity and love of the game that the players performed for.   now since they are becoming professional, we might as well turn our attention back to the nba.   If we want to see talent, their is no doubt they are the real deal, not the up and coming players. 

maybe it wont be so bad to be left out of a reorganization and the new D2 will be the real college basketball while D1 becomes the true nba minor league?   

look at it this way.   Would you tune in on TV to watch a tournament of the G League?   or would you rather tune in to watch the new March madness set up the same way it is now only the P5 teams arent included?   i think i might be more interested in the REAL college tournament instead of the NBA minor league.

Problem is the P5 schools have huge traditional followings that will still loyally follow the flagship State U’s. G league doesn’t have big loyal fan bases. The only thing that would prevent the coming split would be if the broadcasters put their foot down and said don’t mess with the Cinderella theme of the Dance. I doubt even that won’t stop the bigs from pulling away from the mids. They’ll say the fans will eventually forget the David v Goliath drama and the whole pot of gold will be ours. 

maybe, but i bet a significant amount of the fanbases of the P5 schools will not have near the enthusiasm for becoming a total pro team.   

17 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

The P5’s all but said in that article, “We ain’t living long like this.” They want it all and, right now, think they’re the victims not the predators. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Problem is the P5 schools have huge traditional followings that will still loyally follow the flagship State U’s. G league doesn’t have big loyal fan bases. The only thing that would prevent the coming split would be if the broadcasters put their foot down and said don’t mess with the Cinderella theme of the Dance. I doubt even that won’t stop the bigs from pulling away from the mids. They’ll say the fans will eventually forget the David v Goliath drama and the whole pot of gold will be ours. 

The TV people have way more pull than that. This follows the Golden Rule, he who has the gold makes the rules. What I think would be smart is if they pulled from the traditional conference setups, and had one grouping for FBS football, another for basketball, and a third for all other sports. A P5 school may be in one alignment for football, another for basketball, and a third for all the others. That way they could maximize revenue on the football and basketball side, but on the all other sports they could just go with all the other close D1 colleges and minimize expenses and travel time for the other student athletes. No need to force the woman’s volleyball team to be dragged around the country with the additional expense involved just because it makes sense for football 

As long as people are willing to watch there will be college sports.  FCS football exists and has good games and fanbases, despite not being the top level FB. Plus streaming has democratized broadcasts. Once upon a time, I listened to games on KMOX from the room in my house that had the best reception.  Now VB, WBB, Soccer it's all available to watch nearly every game. So I'm not concerned with losing broadcasting. 

So whatever happens I'm a SLU fan.  I cheer for the name on the front of the jersey. I try not to worry about things I have no control over. 

RUBillsFan likes this

44 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

As long as people are willing to watch there will be college sports.  FCS football exists and has good games and fanbases, despite not being the top level FB. Plus streaming has democratized broadcasts. Once upon a time, I listened to games on KMOX from the room in my house that had the best reception.  Now VB, WBB, Soccer it's all available to watch nearly every game. So I'm not concerned with losing broadcasting. 

So whatever happens I'm a SLU fan.  I cheer for the name on the front of the jersey. I try not to worry about things I have no control over. 

Good philosophy. We’re all hoping (praying) for a Beast invite, but I’m not sure the P5 even invites them to their party. FB rules the roost and they don’t have it. 

billiken_roy likes this

47 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Good philosophy. We’re all hoping (praying) for a Beast invite, but I’m not sure the P5 even invites them to their party. FB rules the roost and they don’t have it. 

You could be on to something here.  First, I am assuming that the PAC 2 is dis-invited from the party.  I don't see the P4 willing to share their food with two schools that (for me rightfully) are grabbing all the $ left over from the PAC 12.  Plus no way they would want the MWC invitees to join them, if that proposed merger does happen.  I think that if you subtract out WSU and OSU, there will be 68 in the P4. 

These schools have shown the willingness to eat their own, so do they find 4 schools to cannibalize, or do they move forward with 68.  Adding 11 more from the Big East makes the numbers funny, but if they desire, a basketball solution could be found.  But how easy would it be to screw over 4 P4 members and carry forward with a nice round 64?  Good bye NCAA and goodbye March Madness.

billiken_roy likes this

I find it interesting that there are some on this board that argued in favor of free transfers and NIL money for student athletes and either did not care or could not see what those two things would do to college sports, the SLU men's basketball program, the A-10, etc.  Supporting free transfers and NIL and supporting the Billikens ARE mutually exclusive concepts.  You cannot be both without acknowledging the competing interests at work.  Being pro NIL and free transfer is equivalent to being against our program.

willie likes this

26 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I find it interesting that there are some on this board that argued in favor of free transfers and NIL money for student athletes and either did not care or could not see what those two things would do to college sports, the SLU men's basketball program, the A-10, etc.  Supporting free transfers and NIL and supporting the Billikens ARE mutually exclusive concepts.  You cannot be both without acknowledging the competing interests at work.  Being pro NIL and free transfer is equivalent to being against our program.

Absolutist statements about the intent of other people are great.

It is true someone can be a SLU fan and also in favor of NIL/unlimited transfers.  I know this because I am.  Because I'm a SLU that doesn't change my beliefs of what I think is true or right. I believe that the players mostly responsible for the entertainment provided, that we willingly pay for as fans, be able to get compensation, like everyone else involved. The Supreme Court of the United States agrees. Why? Because this is the USA and we can't deny someone their ability to benefit from their own Name Image and Likeness. Furthermore, why should a student be limited in where they can go to school and what extracurricular activity they take part in?  Just because you think it hurts the Competitiveness of your chosen team? I don't think your rooting interest should trump the individual freedom of a person who has a more direct involvement in the activity. 

You can continue to lament the "death of college sports" but that's not going to stop the changes. SLU can compete they just need to find a way like every other program in the country.

There's only so many spots, there's only so many players that hasn't changed.  Teams with big money still have big money that hasn't changed.  Look at the top 25 BB, FB etc are they any different than how they looked in 1996? Not really. 

Lead, follow or get out of the way. 

Get busy living or get busy dying.

Or any other cliché ya like. 

This crybaby everybody gets a trophy stuff is tiring. 

TaLBErt and JMM28 like this