GDT: SLU v. Vermont

SluSignGuy

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

Not sure why you can't count Thames and Hughes but.....ok.....   If NIL is the problem, and I don't necessarily agree with your "meh" designation, then maybe we should fire the BVF?

I mean, Ford didn't get those two, that's why? I guess you could argue without Ford, Tates not on the staff, but Tate got him because of family connections.  99% LHJ would be at SLU regardless of coach. 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Cian, Curcic, and Bruce can play.  

We can't shoot more 3's without developing an inside-out game.  SLU 4's and 5's rarely pass out of the paint. The last center that could consistently make that pass was French.

Bruce can pass out of the center spot…..if someone will just get the ball to him inside.

Dr Bird likes this

At the end of the day, dozens of coaches around the country are routinely doing WAY more with WAY less than Ford has. Yes, the BVF is smaller than a P5, but you think we don’t have more resources than Davidson or Belmont or Vermont?  Give me a break.  We should be routinely stomping the rest of this crap conference into the ground. Instead we are gonna go through this mediocrity for 2-3 more years before the powers that be have enough. 

NextYearBill and stmdragons like this

Parker's injury will get the younger guys more minutes. Maybe they develop quicker. Guys step up. It's a rough 2-3 months but Parker comes back to a team that is developing and growing faster than expected. Go into the A10 tournament as a red hot 9 seed knowing that everyone in the conference is beatable and that we have the potential to go on a serious run and make the NCAA. Lose by 28 to the 8 seed.

5 minutes ago, Soderball said:

What do you see in Medley? He's way too short.

Our league is filled with short point guards.  Heck, we just played against one today.  

If Meadows is going to be this passive on offense, it's easier to justify giving those reps to our point guard in training.  And we do a better job of getting steals when Medley's in the game.  

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Neither does Vermont.

No but they are senior and junior led team.  It's part of the (hate the term) mid-major cycle of life.  Last year was so depressing because we were in that position and we were a tournament team with Perkins and maybe should've been without him.  This year we are back to more of a rebuild.  Cycle of life, even the Great Majerus was subject to it..... 

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Go into the A10 tournament as a red hot 9 seed knowing that everyone in the conference is beatable and that we have the potential to go on a serious run and make the NCAA. Lose by 28 to the 8 seed.

I...don't want any part of this.

2 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

No but they are senior and junior led team.  It's part of the (hate the term) mid-major cycle of life.  Last year was so depressing because we were in that position and we were a tournament team with Perkins and maybe should've been without him.  This year we are back to more of a rebuild.  Cycle of life, even the Great Majerus was subject to it..... 

So what you’re saying is… Travis built up a team of juniors and seniors. He didn’t get it done, so we have to wait 2 years to get to that point. But next time it will be different? 

3 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I...don't want any part of this.

This is how Ford supporters dream up scenarios to support him. This is turning into the same forum mess we had when people defended Crews.

Vermont flew in here on United Airlines coach. Just wtf man. This is not ok.

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Parker's injury will get the younger guys more minutes. Maybe they develop quicker. Guys step up. It's a rough 2-3 months but Parker comes back to a team that is developing and growing faster than expected. Go into the A10 tournament as a red hot 9 seed knowing that everyone in the conference is beatable and that we have the potential to go on a serious run and make the NCAA. Lose by 28 to the 8 seed.

Nailed it.

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I mean, Ford didn't get those two, that's why? I guess you could argue without Ford, Tates not on the staff, but Tate got him because of family connections.  99% LHJ would be at SLU regardless of coach. 

Ok.  I'd maybe call them low hanging fruit but good grief.  I'm sure glad I don't work for you.....

9 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I agree with the fact that it may kid some kids going faster, but it doesn't fix the issue that will cost us the season. 

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Ok.  I'd maybe call them low hanging fruit but good grief.  I'm sure glad I don't work for you.....

Funny you say that, earlier I was going to make a comment about how Id love to work for you because you'll do anything to not place blame. 

7 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

And why aren't we? Who builds the roster? Majerus was never subject to it after the initial turnaround because he uhhh died. He recruited to a system and culture, that's a totally different method than what TF has installed here. He also coached under completely different rules. Four year cycles in recruiting are a thing of the past. There's absolutely no reason we should have the roster limitations that have led to TJ playing the 5. 

2 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

So what you’re saying is… Travis built up a team of juniors and seniors. He didn’t get it done, so we have to wait 2 years to get to that point. But next time it will be different? 

No one has to do anything.  You can be upset that Travis' highs aren't high enough and not give him any slack when Perk goes down preseason or "situations" happen.  People with $$$ in the game may get the same impression.  For me, I think it would be silly to get all puffed up and pissy about it (not sayin you are.)  We should be able to be good every few years, make it to the dance once in a while and win a tournament game once in a while.  May not be this year.  Might be next year......

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

didn’t we start 4 fifth year seniors today?  The excuses that some here will make for Ford really never cease to amaze. 

johnbj14 likes this

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

And why aren't we? Who builds the roster? Majerus was never subject to it after the initial turnaround because he uhhh died. He recruited to a system and culture, that's a totally different method than what TF has installed here. He also coached under completely different rules. Four year cycles in recruiting are a thing of the past. There's absolutely no reason we should have the roster limitations that have led to TJ playing the 5. 

So teams never rebuild? And Majerus never had to rebuild anywhere?  Got it.......  

16 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

It's the same issue that practically every mid major goes through.  Realistically, you have two out of the four years for a given group to make the tournament.  If you miss that window, you miss it. 

That's the difference between where VCU and Davidson have been over the last 4 years and where Dayton and we have been.  The Flyers message board looks a lot like ours after a loss, for similar reasons.

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

He’s better than meadows and Hughes 

You really don't know anything about basketball do you?   

Billiken Rich likes this