Bobby Knight RIP

brianstl

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Side note:  Has there been a MVC program that has underperformed more over the last 24 years than MO St?

Mo St has huge benefactors, surrounded by high level JUCO programs, and a huge alumni base in KC and St. Louis.  They should picking the leftovers all over the state along with grabbing JUCOs.  Poor hire after poor hire has doomed them.

JMM28 likes this

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

Whatever your memories of Bobby Knight may be, he is gone and will not come back, just let him rest in peace. The job to judge him and reward or punish him forever is way above your pay grade.

I understand your point but as a public figure, the rules of what people may say about a person are bit different.  As long as a person's comments are not mean spirited then in my opinion, they have the right to express them.  

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I understand your point but as a public figure, the rules of what people may say about a person are bit different.  As long as a person's comments are not mean spirited then in my opinion, they have the right to express them.  

That is what the constitution says, freedom of speech is the rule. However people that criticize recently dead individuals, public figures or not, are not the kind of people I associate with. Of course, this is a small loss, agree?

Well Old Guy, you will not be impressed when I share my thoughts when Stan Kroenke passes away. 

I am in the camp that likes Bob Knight. I enjoyed Alford’s book about playing with him. Bob Knight is what he is and is certainly much more aggressive than most people. It also was not a secret. I would’ve had no problem playing for him or allowing my child (assuming it was compatible with their personality) to play for him. So far now, you can still opt to associate with me if you’d like. 

Old guy likes this

10 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

Well Old Guy, you will not be impressed when I share my thoughts when Stan Kroenke passes away. 

I am in the camp that likes Bob Knight. I enjoyed Alford’s book about playing with him. Bob Knight is what he is and is certainly much more aggressive than most people. It also was not a secret. I would’ve had no problem playing for him or allowing my child (assuming it was compatible with their personality) to play for him. So far now, you can still opt to associate with me if you’d like. 

Stan Kroenke is not worthy of your eternal hatred, you might want to reserve it for someone else, whoever it might be, that is worthy of it.

11 hours ago, Old guy said:

That is what the constitution says, freedom of speech is the rule. However people that criticize recently dead individuals, public figures or not, are not the kind of people I associate with. Of course, this is a small loss, agree?

I wasn't referring to  what is legal or not just that when a public figure dies, the fact that they were a public figure gives people a bit more freedom regarding what they may say about the person.  A public figure may directly or indirectly have impacted lots of people therefore, it is more permissible for them to express their views.  

Cheeseman, why are you prolonging this argument for? It is true you and everyone else have the right to say whatever they want to say. You can criticize anyone, alive or dead, in any way you want. However, you cannot tell me or expect that I should take your criticism of dead people as something I approve of. I do not like it when people criticize other people after they die. I think to do this casts a stain upon the personality and manners of the person criticizing the dead person. You obviously do not think that is the case. So feel free to criticize anyone you want dead or alive. Of course, I and other people like me will lose their respect for you. For me, respect is most important but you are free to disagree about this as well. As a matter of fact you may not care at all whether I respect you or not. So, let's agree to disagree if you cannot understand this simple point of view.

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

Cheeseman, why are you prolonging this argument for? It is true you and everyone else have the right to say whatever they want to say. You can criticize anyone, alive or dead, in any way you want. However, you cannot tell me or expect that I should take your criticism of dead people as something I approve of. I do not like it when people criticize other people after they die. I think to do this casts a stain upon the personality and manners of the person criticizing the dead person. You obviously do not think that is the case. So feel free to criticize anyone you want dead or alive. Of course, I and other people like me will lose their respect for you. For me, respect is most important but you are free to disagree about this as well. As a matter of fact you may not care at all whether I respect you or not. So, let's agree to disagree if you cannot understand this simple point of view.

I was not prolonging the discussion.  I simply was trying to clarify for you what my point was.  The only issue I have with you is that you manage to insult me when I was very respectful of you.  Yes I am capable of understanding your point of view and in fact I said so in my first post - feel free to reread it if necessary.  

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

People make the internet so weird

On 11/2/2023 at 10:46 AM, longtimelistenerfirsttimec said:

coach kinght at commissioners tournament at the arena in st.louis in 1974 is one of my favorite memories he did not want to be there got thrown out of second game after indiana won when he accepted the trophy he told them what they could do with it he wanted to be in new york at the NIT the look on their faces was priceless that tournament was a bad idea lasted one more year we were in the vallay than and Bradley played here wonder if any of you were there

I was in attendance. Recall also the year before IU was in the NCAAs. Attended those also. If you recall Memphis was in the finals. A few weeks prior we blew out Memphis at the Old Kiel. Shame that team was not selected for the NIT.

1 hour ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

I was in attendance. Recall also the year before IU was in the NCAAs. Attended those also. If you recall Memphis was in the finals. A few weeks prior we blew out Memphis at the Old Kiel. Shame that team was not selected for the NIT.

yes harry rogers beat memphis at the old keil (best building to watch a game) bill walton 21 of 22 game against memphis ucla beat indiana when al dowing fouled out guarding walton close game  and you are right about the bills deserved the bid

On 11/2/2023 at 6:20 PM, thetorch said:

Mo St has huge benefactors, surrounded by high level JUCO programs, and a huge alumni base in KC and St. Louis.  They should picking the leftovers all over the state along with grabbing JUCOs.  Poor hire after poor hire has doomed them.

Not just in basketball, but in football (FCS). The fact that the Dakotas are collecting championships and not Mo St is embarrassing.

Now re: Knight, he was a stern teacher in a time when his methods were accepted. One of if not the most misunderstood figure in the history of North American sports.

SLU_Lax likes this