Womens Basketball 2023-2024

thetorch

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Davidson's a small school, the pool of women's players is smaller than men's. Just based on assumptions I'm making based on those two facts, I would bet you're not going to find anyone that fits the bill in the general student population. That leaves you with current student athletes. Volleyball, soccer and softball players are your likely options. Softball is in season and women's soccer is kicking off spring season. That leaves volleyball. Now you have to find a player who is good enough and willing within that group of 15 women and hopefully their coach is cool with it. Oh and right now they only have 5 healthy players, so you're looking for at least 2. 

Davidson’s student enrollment is 1950. Going back to the Lefty Driesell years from ‘60-69, it’s amazing they’ve competed as well as they have, given their lack of facilities and high academic standards.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Davidson’s student enrollment is 1950. Going back to the Lefty Driesell years from ‘60-69, it’s amazing they’ve competed as well as they have, given their lack of facilities and high academic standards.

Since we are on the topic, they also don't have graduate schools at Davidson (at least that's my understanding).  This hamstrings them further, since they can't put athletes who have graduated into graduate school like we do so that they can continue their athletic career.

I didn't think they played particularly well today and the scoring seemed to be in streaks. But they defended really well in the fourth and pulled it out. They'll have their work cut out for them against VCU. Go Bills!

ETA: I didn't realize the Bills scored 30 points in the 4th quarter til I looked at the box score. Wow!

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

They seem to practice with the men's team when it comes to defensive rebounding.  Geedubya's #2 was a punk but her ejection seemed contrived.

The announcers were going back and forth over whether it was an ejection, so I was confused. The game was essentially over at that point, but I agree it was puzzling.

She went to the locker room before the final buzzer.  If that means anything.  Geedubya had more offensive rebounds than defensive ones.  

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

I didn't think they played particularly well today and the scoring seemed to be in streaks. But they defended really well in the fourth and pulled it out. They'll have their work cut out for them against VCU. Go Bills!

ETA: I didn't realize the Bills scored 30 points in the 4th quarter til I looked at the box score. Wow!

30 points in the quarter to pull it out is great, but 21 turnovers? Do that tomorrow and get torched.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

30 points in the quarter to pull it out is great, but 21 turnovers? Do that tomorrow and get torched.

Yeah, I HATE turnovers. But I've gotten used to seeing lots of them in women's games, like I've gotten used to seeing a bunch of held balls.

And yeah, they'll have to clean that up going against VCU if they want any chance of winning.

4 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

34-29 Billikens at the half, Billikens winning both TO and rebounding battle, game has been back and forth, Billikens took command in the 2nd with a 13-1 run early in the 2nd.

Certainly didn't expect that. They are really getting after it on defense. 

OkieBilliken likes this

65-63 Billiken win! VCU took command early in the 4th, but SLU fought back. With 44 sec left, Peyton Kennedy nails a 3 to go ahead, Julia Martinez steals the ball with31 seconds left, the it’s foul time, Kyla McMakin goes 4-4 from the line. VCU hits a 3 with .2 sec left, but it’s a SLU victory!  Commentators saying what great leadership by Julia Martinez. Peyton Kennedy 22 pts on 7-10 shooting, 3-6 from 3. Attack and advance! SLU wins the TO battle and gets 6 more points on turnovers, and there’s the win.

OkieBilliken and CenHudDude like this

8 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

65-63 Billiken win! VCU took command early in the 4th, but SLU fought back. With 44 sec left, Peyton Kennedy nails a 3 to go ahead, Julia Martinez steals the ball with31 seconds left, the it’s foul time, Kyla McMakin goes 4-4 from the line. VCU hits a 3 with .2 sec left, but it’s a SLU victory!  Commentators saying what great leadership by Julia Martinez. Peyton Kennedy 22 pts on 7-10 shooting, 3-6 from 3. Attack and advance! SLU wins the TO battle and gets 6 more points on turnovers, and there’s the win.

That was fun to watch!  Have to love the announcer calling Martinez a “cheat code off the bench”

48 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

That was fun to watch!  Have to love the announcer calling Martinez a “cheat code off the bench”

Tillett likes to turn on chaos mode in NBA 2K.

It will be Rhodey tomorrow, Rams down St Joes 57-47. We split them in the regular season. Let’s send them home in the semifinals for the second year in a row. Giving Tammi Reiss extra time to prepare for her coaching assignment for the USA in the Olympics in Paris sounds patriotic, right? 😃. 12:30pm on CBSSN

11 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Again 19 offensive rebounds for VCU.  That almost spells disaster ..... according to the Wiz.

Ah! But @The Wiz also first points to turnovers, and we forced 17 against VCU while only giving up 11, and scored 6 more points off those turnovers. There’s your margin of victory. So that, plus hitting 90% from the free throw line (19 of 21), makes up for the rebounds not going our way, and the fact that they outshot us from the field.  That is what makes the CPU of @The Wiz’s computer happily dreaming of Electric Sheep tonight (shoutout to Phillip K. Dick).

CenHudDude likes this

37 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Ah! But @The Wiz also first points to turnovers, and we forced 17 against VCU while only giving up 11, and scored 6 more points off those turnovers. There’s your margin of victory. So that, plus hitting 90% from the free throw line (19 of 21), makes up for the rebounds not going our way, and the fact that they outshot us from the field.  That is what makes the CPU of @The Wiz’s computer happily dreaming of Electric Sheep tonight (shoutout to Phillip K. Dick).

Here is the way The Wiz's winning formula works...

1. Win the TOs...that evens the game up

2. Win one of the following 2 categories....FG%  or Rebs and you should win

3. If you lose both categories ...you look at TO opportunity lost as a rare last chance.

In this case,  we won the TOs  but lost both categories which kicks in #3 the final chance which is a rare circumstance but happened in this case.  TO opp lost refers to the fact that in addition to the points off TOs which is listed in the stat sheet,  there were 6 missed opportunities by VCU. In other words,  had VCU not turned it over 6 extra times they would have had a chance for 6 additional shots.  VCU shooting 40.4% should have made an additional 2.4 shots....let's round it down to 2 shots and make both of them just 2s... VCU   wins by 2 pts without the extra TOs.  This is a lot of extra figuring that you would not normally do except in a rare situation...ie win TOs and then lose FG%  and rebs.

Bottom line....if you win the TO battle it usually evens the game up  EXCEPT if you REALLY win the battle...in this case VCU had an extra 55%  worth of TOs.  Enough extra TOs that step 2 wasn't necessary.

As for my computer dreaming...it will not be dreaming of Electric Sheep...It will be dreaming of Electric Rams...apologies to Phillip K. Dick.

One last thing in reference to unusual occurrences...VCU had 17 TOs...The Lady Bills scored 17pts on those TOs.  Meanwhile the L Bills had 11 TOs and the Lady Rams had 11 pts off those TOs....Extremely rare where the TOs match up exactly with the pts the opp scores for BOTH teams.

Good job Bills...keep it going.

10 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Nobody beats @The Wiz.

10 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

That doesn’t even mention the computing advantage @The Wiz has on me. Look at the best I have…

IMG_0343.jpeg

For about a day, I actually knew how to use one of those. Credit to Mr. Slide for his invention.

Women's game is on CBS College Sports Network at 1:30( 12:30 central)