Womens Basketball 2023-2024

thetorch

I read that they lost another player to injury during that Senior Night home game which left them with 6 able to dress again. They don't want to play with only 6. I dunno, maybe they should upgrade their medical staff and/or physical therapists.

Some of you guys are sure butt hurt about this.

HoosierPal and willie like this

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLU was able to remove all reference to Davidson on tonight’s program, but didn’t add the Knox College roster and statistics, instead just putting in a bracket for the Women’s A10 tournament ( not filled in) in its place. That’s quick work on someone’s part, I wonder how long ago Davidson let SLU know they weren’t coming. Doesn’t matter at this point, I guess. Knox has only 9 players total warming up.

I also have no problem with their cancellation but I don’t think it’s fair to question their strength and conditioning coach. Do we criticize JB for our problems. What do broken feet have to do with anything besides bad luck  Injuries happen  

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I have no problem with them cancelling/forfeiting over such a rash of injuries. Davidson needs to take a good hard look at their strength and conditioning and basketball coaching staff's practice habits.

True. Bad luck happens sometimes, but this much in one season? Take time to do a serous review of what you are doing and ask if there is something you can to to improve.

1 minute ago, willie said:

I also have no problem with their cancellation but I don’t think it’s fair to question their strength and conditioning coach. Do we criticize JB for our problems. What do broken feet have to do with anything besides bad luck  Injuries happen  

If we had enough injuries to cancel games and the season, we darn well should be questioning these things. There really isn’t any harm in reviewing what you are doing and asking questions, and potentially a lot of benefit.

3 minutes ago, willie said:

Not JB. I would question Travis and the Strength & Conditioning coach.

10 minutes ago, willie said:

Again. What does any of that have to do with broken bones?

I'm not saying there's blame to be placed, I'm saying that strength and conditioning training methods, intensity and volume should be analyzed when you have multiple injuries pertaining to a single body part, especially legs and feet. Go back and look at the stress fracture epidemic in the women's program as noted over in the wbb thread. That was a shoe issue, the team shoes caused the stress fractures. Nothing should be exempt from review.

8 minutes ago, willie said:

Again. What does any of that have to do with broken bones?

Is there some technique or exercise you can do to lessen or reduce the chances of getting injured? I don’t know, but I really don’t see the harm in looking and asking questions. Worse case, you figure out there’s nothing to be done, best case you may prevent future injuries. And it shouldn’t cost you much to ask questions, so why not take a look?

4 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Is there some technique or exercise you can do to lessen or reduce the chances of getting injured? I don’t know, but I really don’t see the harm in looking and asking questions. Worse case, you figure out there’s nothing to be done, best case you may prevent future injuries. And it shouldn’t cost you much to ask questions, so why not take a look?

Do you think they or other schools haven’t done this? Injuries are injuries. 

Just now, willie said:

Do you think they or other schools haven’t done this? Injuries are injuries. 

When you get enough injuries to x cancel a season, you should ask the questions.  The answer may very well be that there is nothing to be done, but if you figure out there is something you can do, then you need to know that. What exactly is the case against taking a look?

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

When you get enough injuries to x cancel a season, you should ask the questions.  The answer may very well be that there is nothing to be done, but if you figure out there is something you can do, then you need to know that. What exactly is the case against taking a look?

I have no problem with your point but at the same time it’s just wasted effort. People get injured. Especially women. I don’t believe there is some magic approach or training to change this. Why do professional athletes get hurt? They just do. Good years/Bad years. They just happen.  

HoosierPal likes this

Did the 119 points we scored last night break our record from earlier this season? I know both games were against non-D1 teams, but points are points.

Edit: Yep, by 10 points.

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour

Billikens are #7 seed, they take on #10 GW at 4pm CST on Thursday. Winner advances to take on #2 VCU Friday in ten Quarterfinals of the A10 tournament. All games at the Henrico Sports and Events Center in Henrico, VA.

56 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Billikens are #7 seed, they take on #10 GW at 4pm CST on Thursday. Winner advances to take on #2 VCU Friday in ten Quarterfinals of the A10 tournament. All games at the Henrico Sports and Events Center in Henrico, VA.

I have a good feeling about taking 2 games in this tournament, but sadly, I think they get bounced in the semi-finals.

Back in 91/92, Grawer's last season, our men's team was depleted by injuries and guys quitting the team.  Rather than risk having to forfeit games, Grawer had tryouts for walk-ons.  I think he added three guys who all got playing time in games.  One of my friends was recruited by Highmark who remembered playing him in high school games.  That's how you do it.  If you're running short, add on to make sure you can finish the season.

14 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Back in 91/92, Grawer's last season, our men's team was depleted by injuries and guys quitting the team.  Rather than risk having to forfeit games, Grawer had tryouts for walk-ons.  I think he added three guys who all got playing time in games.  One of my friends was recruited by Highmark who remembered playing him in high school games.  That's how you do it.  If you're running short, add on to make sure you can finish the season.

Davidson's a small school, the pool of women's players is smaller than men's. Just based on assumptions I'm making based on those two facts, I would bet you're not going to find anyone that fits the bill in the general student population. That leaves you with current student athletes. Volleyball, soccer and softball players are your likely options. Softball is in season and women's soccer is kicking off spring season. That leaves volleyball. Now you have to find a player who is good enough and willing within that group of 15 women and hopefully their coach is cool with it. Oh and right now they only have 5 healthy players, so you're looking for at least 2.