Very Interesting...

Schasz

18 minutes ago, courtside said:

And Macon may be retained by the new regime, as he is a very good recruiter who did much of the heavy lifting with recruiting there. 

If he is not retained, I will be rooting for Forte to get an assistant job in Oklahoma or Texas and for Macon to return.

stmdragons likes this

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I was using Pomeroy.

With net they finished inside the top 50 only once in 2020 at 49  https://masseyratings.com/cb/arch/compare2020-19.htm

They finished with a net Ranking of 52 in 2021 https://masseyratings.com/cb/arch/compare2021-17.htm.

RPI currently has them at #50. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/rpi/

14 minutes ago, ACE said:

If he is not retained, I will be rooting for Forte to get an assistant job in Oklahoma or Texas and for Macon to return.

I would very much rather Forte stay, he seems to have the closest relationship with Ford on staff and has a great relationship with the players. I would really like some change elsewhere on the staff. 

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would very much rather Forte stay, he seems to have the closest relationship with Ford on staff and has a great relationship with the players. I would really like some change elsewhere on the staff. 

That might be the problem. Also, I'm not a proponent of the recruiting forrays into Texas.

slufan13 likes this

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Idc where they come from as long as they can play 

I agree, but IMO we are more likely to get quality players from the East Coast - we are in an East Coast league. Teams that have had success in this league going back to Xavier have made it a recruiting priority. If we can pluck a good player out of Texas on occasion fine, but it doesn't make sense to make that a prime recruiting area. 

Ford himself talked about the emphasis on the East Coast in interviews when he got the job - deviating from it a bit now seems to be more about Forte and his connections/career aspirations than it does sound recruiting strategy.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Shouldn't Ford legacy assistant have landed a player at any point in the past if Ford is going to keep having one on the staff?

Stuen seemed liked a great guy and so does Forte, but where are the results from them on the recruiting front?

Who recruited the players on the roster now?

27 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Who recruited the players on the roster now?

9 of the 13 scholarship players are Tate guys.  If I recall correctly Jimerson was a Macon guy and Forrester had a previous connection to Bailey.  I don’t know who was the guy for Cisse or Rivera.

Shouldn't Ford legacy assistant have landed a player at any point in the past if Ford is going to keep having one on the staff?

Stuen seemed liked a great guy and so does Forte, but where are the results from them on the recruiting front?

Would the results for Forte be the current crop of three incoming recruits?

5 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

There are many, many posters on this board that are advocating for Ford to go that I would not label as a "Troll."  I respect their opinions, but simply disagree.  Having a different opinion than me or others does not, remotely, make a person a troll.  A troll is someone who incessantly posts about a position using non stop superlative verbage and, in doing so, annoys the CR*P out of everyone on the board and makes it difficult to read.

I enjoy debating with those who are here as devout Billiken fans, but have a differing opinion on a topic than I do.  That's part of what makes this board interesting.  I cannot stand someone who shows up out of the blue and spends their first 262 posts repeating the same garbage over and over again.  We know your opinion on this.  Let it go.

Like your points and posts as well as Ace! Here's where I come down on Travis Ford. First of all, I didn't like the hire in the first place. Why? I thought May settled for someone who while he did get his OSU team in the Tourney he only won 1 NCAA Tourney with tons of talent. Yes, OSU is a Power 5 school so expectations should be higher. He comes to SLU and I don't recall what his initial contract was both length and $'s. The $'s are still somewhat speculation as SLU being a private school does not make public what he's paid...speculation is in the $2.4M a year level...making Ford the highest paid HC in the A-10. IMHIO someone making that kind of salary should have made more than 1 NCAA Tourney. Let's not forget that team had to win 4 games in a row to get there. Then they were summarily beaten by Va Tech in the first round. Covid years were a big 0 for all NCAA teams. So let's get to the 2022-23 year and SLU was picked by Many pre-season predictors to be Top 25 and certain NCAA team. Now some of those same prediction folks have Ford on the hot seat because SLU is no where near where they thought SLU should be with a veteran team. Sure as an Alum and someone when we liver in St. Louis spent many years as a season ticket holder I would love to see SLU win the A-10 Tourney and get into the NCAA Tourney. With Ford's track record I don't see it happening.I know some on here thank he deserves another year if he does not win and AD May has stated that publicly. That's great...he hired him so if what I think could happen...they both should be on the hot seat if SLU isn't dancing on Sunday! Chaifetz IMO is a super nice facility and if fans continue to be disappointed then there will be people who quit coming to the games. Hoops are SLU's only real revenue sport. Someone has to take responsibility!!!

9 of the 13 scholarship players are Tate guys.  If I recall correctly Jimerson was a Macon guy and Forrester had a previous connection to Bailey.  I don’t know who was the guy for Cisse or Rivera.

You act like they all work independently of each other… the nitpicking will never end…

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

Like your points and posts as well as Ace! Here's where I come down on Travis Ford. First of all, I didn't like the hire in the first place. Why? I thought May settled for someone who while he did get his OSU team in the Tourney he only won 1 NCAA Tourney with tons of talent. Yes, OSU is a Power 5 school so expectations should be higher. He comes to SLU and I don't recall what his initial contract was both length and $'s. The $'s are still somewhat speculation as SLU being a private school does not make public what he's paid...speculation is in the $2.4M a year level...making Ford the highest paid HC in the A-10. IMHIO someone making that kind of salary should have made more than 1 NCAA Tourney. Let's not forget that team had to win 4 games in a row to get there. Then they were summarily beaten by Va Tech in the first round. Covid years were a big 0 for all NCAA teams. So let's get to the 2022-23 year and SLU was picked by Many pre-season predictors to be Top 25 and certain NCAA team. Now some of those same prediction folks have Ford on the hot seat because SLU is no where near where they thought SLU should be with a veteran team. Sure as an Alum and someone when we liver in St. Louis spent many years as a season ticket holder I would love to see SLU win the A-10 Tourney and get into the NCAA Tourney. With Ford's track record I don't see it happening.I know some on here thank he deserves another year if he does not win and AD May has stated that publicly. That's great...he hired him so if what I think could happen...they both should be on the hot seat if SLU isn't dancing on Sunday! Chaifetz IMO is a super nice facility and if fans continue to be disappointed then there will be people who quit coming to the games. Hoops are SLU's only real revenue sport. Someone has to take responsibility!!!

Damn! Another L tonight!! 4-6 in last 10 going into the tournament. Yikes!!!!

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Hasn’t Ford say almost exactly what you said in interviews following Stuen’s passing?  I guess BBF thinks Ford was making a fool of himself when Ford said it.

Kind of silly to argue that recruiting is not a team effort...but some people just enjoy being contrary.

majerus mojo likes this

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Someone says something to BBF, running in comes Henry 

I am sorry.  I wasn’t aware that I was supposed to ask your permission. Guess if I were an ass I would just say someone says something to Brian and in runs wgstl. 

You can make logical arguments to keep or fire Ford and you would be justified in your argument. He's staying at least one more year though. And he has the team playing good basketball right now. I'm a Ford doubter but we are really playing well right now and thats credit to him and the entire staff 

dlarry and slufanskip like this

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

Hasn’t Ford say almost exactly what you said in interviews following Stuen’s passing?  I guess BBF thinks Ford was making a fool of himself when Ford said it.

Brian, the point was to imply that Stuen was the only one Ford could have a completely open and free conversation about the team, is ridiculous and to be honest, insulting to the current coaches.