Ford- Less with More (and the last great four year Billikens)

gobillsgo

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If you can guarantee either Mack or Brey, I would go with them.  Anyone else, and I would rather give Ford one more season.

Even Kelsey?  Mack and Kelsey would be home run hires, 

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Notable HC candidates, per the internet: 

Chris Mack (53) - Can likely secure a better job. Would hire

Mike Brey (63) - Same boat as Mack? Would hire
Tom Crean (56) - Downward trend. Similar to Ford reboot. Pass
Rick Pitino (70) - Old, sleazeball. Similar to Majerus reboot. Still pass
Darian DeVries (47) - Drake HC
Dusty May (45) - Florida Atlantic HC
Ryan Odom (48) - Utah State HC
Pat Kelsey (47) - College of Charleston HC
Matt Langel (45) - Colgate HC 
Speedy Claxton (44) - Hofstra HC/alum 

edit: Chris Beard (50) - Young, sleazeball. 

Why would u balk at Pitino? He’d be Rick 2. And he’d behave this go around. Again look at Sampson at UofH, sleaze days over. Rick knows the consequences now. The man can coach. 

Just now, wgstl said:

Oh, I bet. Great coach.

We had a chance back when he was at Wilmington. But took Travis. If he was available I’d be all in. Guy’s a great get on all fronts; recruiting, coaching, and a real PR genius. He’s gonna be a hot commodity. 

16 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Why would u balk at Pitino? He’d be Rick 2. And he’d behave this go around. Again look at Sampson at UofH, sleaze days over. Rick knows the consequences now. The man can coach. 

sampson sleezedays are over.   right.   thats why houston has suddenly become a national power probably hes become a sunday school teacher now

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

sampson sleezedays are over.   right.   thats why houston has suddenly become a national power probably hes become a sunday school teacher now

Good. Hire the sleazeball. Win games.

College basketball is sleazy now. N I L & transfer portal. Whatever. Let's win.

6 hours ago, shempie said:

Roy

I have been a fan/student/season ticket holder since 1980. I remember the bad coaching hires vividly. Most of those were made under dramatically different circumstances with dramatically different resources. West Pine gym, no charter flights, an unforgiving administartion (hello Craig Upchurch), zero control over our "home court", etc. This is a very good job at this point. Great facilities, a good size budget for mid-major plus basketball, the ability to pay a healthy amount for coaches, the fact that you get to live in a city as opposed to a cow, I mean college town, and an affordable, easy to travel from city at that.  The one drawback I see is the league with not a lot of natural rivals and a league that treats SLU as an afterthought or annoying younger sibling. But even there you can sell travel. SLU plays in Philly, Washington DC, New York, Chicago not Manhattan, KS, Ames Iowa, Peoria, IL, or Laramie, WY. My point is, when we decide to hire a new coach (this year, next year, next decade), we can sell a very good job with lots of positives. And RM proved you can win here which is what all of these guys want, a place they can win.We will get great candidates, it is up to the administration to pick the right one. 

Sorry, but I would take a cool college town over a big, crime ridden city any day.  And in a college town you are the big ticket.

54 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Took out the second part as it’s probably a bit unfair, and said more out of frustration with the program’s direction than anything. I don’t doubt that those guys are trying. 

but my initial point remains, no one should be thought less of as a fan for not wanting to go to senior night at this point. 

These guys are paid professionals with sponsorship deals. They don't need your accolades anymore than Tarasenko or Lebron James does. People are straight up living in the past of collegiate athletics. Check out the eutectics.

4 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Sorry, but I would take a cool college town over a big, crime ridden city any day.  And in a college town you are the big ticket.

Missouri valley college towns aren't cool.

Big 10? Big 12? Sure.

Delusional. Glad I'm not in WV and instead live a few miles from a world-class hospital, zoo, botanical garden, so on.

39 minutes ago, slu72 said:

5 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Good. Hire the sleazeball. Win games.

College basketball is sleazy now. N I L & transfer portal. Whatever. Let's win.

Bag money not really the antics I'm referring to. Given our propensity for scandal, I would shy away from someone who has already been busted for paying prostitutes to sleep with his players/recruits.

Also I think his age is a pretty big deterrent. Would be 10 years older than Majerus when he arrived. Guaranteed stop-gap vs. having the confidence to pick someone who could be here a lot longer if he turns out, i.e. our Mark Few. 

3 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Given our propensity for scandal, I would shy away from someone who has already been busted for paying prostitutes to sleep with his players/recruits.

Fine by me

3 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Also I think his age is a pretty big deterrent.

red flag

Diasagree ..... and I lived in St. Louis for 38 years.  Love visiting St. Louis but glad I live in smaller, less congested, low crime (about 250,000 in Metro area) area with close access to the mountains, skiing, hiking, cycling, white water rafting, rock climbing, etc ...... guess it depends on your priorities.  I'll take small town America every time.

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

It’s pro sports at this point. We can move past this idea that you’re somehow a worse or lesser fan if you don’t go just to “support the seniors”.   I will be there vs Dayton, but wouldn’t blame or think less of any fan who doesn’t want to waste their time and money on this program right now.  

Terrible take. Come on now. 

I 100% am thinking less of any of you mbms who don't go to support the seniors. Not that anybody really cares though.

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

Most of the "Collins era" has been forgettable. I legitimately miss French & Goodwin. I miss the Majerus group. Otherwise, blah.

Collins' ditching the NIT game vs UNI will always stick out to me like a sore thumb, not because the nit matters.. but because he ditched the guys then declared for the transfer portal. I don't think I've been fully on board with this roster ever since that happened. I'm ready to move on, very much so.

Criminal. The one has said repeatedly he was injured.

Not sure why everyones been dumping on Yuri recently. Not a great look when some in the fanbase can't support the biggest local product for the team. Especially when hes leading the entire country in assists lol. It honestly be comical if it wasn't so sad. Hopefully as time passes people can take a step back and see it from a more logical perspective.

6 hours ago, dlarry said:

Only one thing left to do.

Hire Coach Beard and make him grow a beard.

Maybe bring in Otis as an assistant to teach them how to get that dog in them. 

Otis can "BALL".  He is tenacious when playing pressing D.  Would be a good hire.  😁

received_852323089201201.jpeg

2 hours ago, Soderball said:

Most of the "Collins era" has been forgettable. I legitimately miss French & Goodwin. I miss the Majerus group. Otherwise, blah.

Collins' ditching the NIT game vs UNI will always stick out to me like a sore thumb, not because the nit matters.. but because he ditched the guys then declared for the transfer portal. I don't think I've been fully on board with this roster ever since that happened. I'm ready to move on, very much so.

For all of the criticisms levied against Yuri from fans (myself included at times), you do realize we are able to watch one of the more prolific assist-makers in college basketball history, night in and night out?  Calling it forgettable is just unfair. 

2 hours ago, Soderball said:

Extremely embarrassing for a portion of the fan base to continue to perpetuate the lie that Yuri voluntarily sat out the NIT game last year. You’re certainly within your rights to feel however you want about his on-court performance this year, but you’re definitely crossing a line calling his character into question when you have zero facts to support your claim. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Does SLU Need to Evaluate Its ROI on Travis Ford?

https://www.a10talk.com/does-slu-need-to-evaluate-its-roi-on-travis-ford/

Article by Jack Godar

This guy clearly has been reading the board.  He hit every point that has been talked about regarding Ford.  He did a great job of summarizing the situation.  Thanks for sharing.

50 minutes ago, laker119 said:

For all of the criticisms levied against Yuri from fans (myself included at times), you do realize we are able to watch one of the more prolific assist-makers in college basketball history, night in and night out?  Calling it forgettable is just unfair. 

Fair point but why does it seem like we are an Angels fan base with this take?  2 great players but never any titles.