Billiken Victory Fund

SluSignGuy

10 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Are we sure this actually exists or is this a Nigerian prince scam that Billiken fans fell for?

BVF is too busy paying players that graduated out of the program like Yuri, Perk and Thatch.  The BVF has clearly stated paying those guys and not attracting or retaining players is the BVF's number one priority.  

Seems strange for your top priority to be paying players that no longer will play for the program, but what do I know.

Soderball and RUBillsFan like this

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

BVF is too busy paying players that graduated out of the program like Yuri, Perk and Thatch.  The BVF has clearly stated paying those guys and not attracting or retaining players is the BVF's number one priority.  

Seems strange for your top priority to be paying players that no longer will play for the program, but what do I know.

I was ready to post and say "Nah that isn't what they're doing it was just a picture of the dudes who graduated" but then saw that tweet. https://twitter.com/BillikenVFund/status/1655611453439717380?s=20

I get the thought process behind it - valuing an old roster/development/loyalty/etc while making it easier to recruit donors who say "we are going to pay Random PG 15k to come here what if he leaves after the year?" 

But damn...that just...yeah...

12 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I was ready to post and say "Nah that isn't what they're doing it was just a picture of the dudes who graduated" but then saw that tweet. https://twitter.com/BillikenVFund/status/1655611453439717380?s=20

I get the thought process behind it - valuing an old roster/development/loyalty/etc while making it easier to recruit donors who say "we are going to pay Random PG 15k to come here what if he leaves after the year?" 

But damn...that just...yeah...

That's not what the tweet says.  Just because they say they are prioritizing returners on pace to graduate does not mean they are still paying former players.  I would argue that their philosophy might be why GJ stuck around one more year.

I am all for athletes who work hard on the court and in the classroom. It’s great seeing guys stick around for four years and earn that diploma. I remember and respect those players more than anyone else.

With all that said I am ready for some hired guns. Lets use the NIL money to bring in some guys planning on going  pro in basketball not in business. 

Just now, dlarry said:

I am all for athletes who work hard on the court and in the classroom. It’s great seeing guys stick around for four years and earn that diploma. I remember and respect those players more than anyone else.

With all that said I am ready for some hired guns. Lets use the NIL money to bring in some guys planning on going  pro in basketball not in business. 

But what if all of the power conference schools have three or four times as much money every year to use to hire their guns?

21 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

That's not what the tweet says.  Just because they say they are prioritizing returners on pace to graduate does not mean they are still paying former players.  I would argue that their philosophy might be why GJ stuck around one more year.

It reads to me as a promise of a pot of money if and once you graduate. If you’re a current dude, they’ll help out with NIL deals. And if you transfer in, we’ll have a bake sale for ya. 

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

But what if all of the power conference schools have three or four times as much money every year to use to hire their guns?

That’s a good question and to be honest I have no idea!?! 

Troy Robertson doing a bang up job.

Leutchefeld would've had this thing going in the right direction. 

I'm withholding anyway until we get a new coach. Then I'll throw down for the hookers and blow fund errrr NIL.

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

That’s a good question and to be honest I have no idea!?! 

I can answer the question.  It just means that we're back to the same BB program hierarchy we've always had but fans spend more money and players move and get paid. Programs that had deep pockets won and they still will.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:14 PM, billiken_roy said:

David Burns, Charlie Newberry, Donnie Dobbs, H Waldman Javon Bess, Francis Okoro, Javonte Perkins quickly come to mind.   There are more quality transfers that helped the team 

Transfers now as transfers above are two different stories. 

38 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Must've missed it when the Yankees won the World Series every year and the Cardinals never have.......

53 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm withholding anyway until we get a new coach. Then I'll throw down for the hookers and blow fund errrr NIL.

I have a feeling a lot of people share your sentiment on the coaching staff.

Ultimately I can disagree on the direction or philosophy, but it is a lot of work to get a collective running and that is much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Actually, it is exactly what the tweet says.

BVF philosophy.

1) Graduates first. Min two years with program. Financial support via private donations to collective. Stay at @SLU_Billikens and fulfill your commitment

2) Current players supported via NIL deals. **

3) Transfer players supported via fundraising events.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

The BVF was announced in Feb. So are  you saying they started paying existing players, Yuri, Perkins and Thatch, who had already left the team, with one month of basketball left?  Where did you read/hear that?  

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The BVF was announced in Feb. So are  you saying they started paying existing players, Yuri, Perkins and Thatch, who had already left the team, with one month of basketball left?  Where did you read/hear that?  

Have you read the BVF's tweets?

Just now, HoosierPal said:

Don’t see where it says they paid players   Collins, Perkins and Thatch with one month left in their career. 
When did they start paying them?

On May 8 the BVF tweeted that their #1 goal was to provide financial support to graduates who had completed their obligation to SLU.  On May 18 the BVF tweeted they were proud to support Yuri, Perk, Thatch and Pickett for keeping the promises that they made to SLU.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

On May 8 the BVF tweeted that their #1 goal was to provide financial support to graduates who had completed their obligation to SLU.  On May 18 the BVF tweeted they were proud to support Yuri, Perk, Thatch and Pickett for keeping the promises that they made to SLU.

Okay that is what I was looking for. Frankly I like it. Stick around, graduate and get ‘support’. Give incentive to stay and graduate.  

Players that want to Play for Pay can apply elsewhere in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Troy Robertson doing a bang up job.

Leutchefeld would've had this thing going in the right direction. 

Ryan is involved.

https://twitter.com/BillikenVFund/status/1655633050548461573?s=20

14 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

@TheA_Bomb is a piece of sh&t.

moytoy GREAT to see you.   you are greatly missed. need you back

On 5/31/2023 at 4:53 PM, HoosierPal said:

Okay that is what I was looking for. Frankly I like it. Stick around, graduate and get ‘support’. Give incentive to stay and graduate.  

Players that want to Play for Pay can apply elsewhere in my opinion. 

So you want to lose? Please go back to Indiana.

From a Ross Dellenger tweet, "

NEWS: The IRS says that non-profit NIL collectives offering tax deductions could be illegal. In a memo today, IRS Chief Counsel says donations made to 501(c)(3) collectives “are not tax exempt” because their benefits are not incidental to exempt purposes.

JMM28 likes this