Andre Lorentson enters the Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i would hope we are aspiring to exceed the talent level of the brad soderberg days of billikens.   that said, while ian was indeed slow, he was very good at being in the right place and doing the things needed to play the inside very well.   plus, he could step out and hit a shot once in awhile.   

imo the difference between ian and lorentson (from the limited views we got of lorentson) is ian was stong enough to hold his position in the lane and as slow as he was, i think ian might have been faster than lorentson.   lorentson had two seasons to improve his body and become a better player, i dont think he improved a bit.  i am guessing he realized he was over his head talentwise at this level of college basketball.    i will be surprised if he emerges at a comparable program as the billikens.  

I have had some issues with the staff, but they aren't idiots.  If Lorentson had anywhere close to the potential Ian had, he would have got the most of the minutes Bell and Traore received over the last two seasons.  I think people forget what a solid player Ian had already become by his second season.  He averaged 7 points and 5.5 rebounds a game averaging 24 minutes a game against a much tougher schedule than anything we have faced since that season.

8 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

What is comical about Lorentsson, is that he may or may not have panned out at SLU. It would not have surprised me either way. However, I cannot see him failing if he transfers to Davidson. Just their system and style of play. I think it would just be painful to watch.

I don’t think I ever saw him miss a 3pt in warmups..haha

8 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

What is comical about Lorentsson, is that he may or may not have panned out at SLU. It would not have surprised me either way. However, I cannot see him failing if he transfers to Davidson. Just their system and style of play. I think it would just be painful to watch.

That is an outrageous statement based out of what we saw from him in game play

Other foreign imports have gone to Davidson and failed ---- Nelson Boachie-Yiadom, David Kristensen, Stymir Thratarson, David Czerapowicz, and Nathan REkwu to name a few.

• 2 months later...

surprising.   imo his physical weak body and his poor defense makes him a reach as a D1 player.   hope it works out for him at Toledo.   if nothing else will get a shot at buying the very cool Toledo Mud Hens sports stuff.  

willie likes this

8 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeWkRbdI1Ya/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Andre is Toledo bound. Best of luck to him. 

That's maybe the best spot we've seen one of the SLU transfers land, right? 

Toledo is really good & will probably be the preseason pick to win the MAC.  They won the MAC regular season, but lost in the tournament & return all 5 starters.  They don't have a ton of size on their roster & play a 5 out offense.  Good offense, mediocre defense.  Their 2 starting "bigs" are 6'7" guys who will be seniors and took a combined 262 3 pointers last season.  Sounds like an ideal fit for Lorentson.  He may not get a ton of PT this year, but could be the 1st big off the bench & should have a big opportunity the following season.

• 2 months later...

Lorentsson doing things on Toledo's foreign trip:

IIRC a fellow MBM (maybe @Bills By 40?) had pretty high praise for Andre last preseason.  We all saw what that amounted to.  It is one thing to shoot well against some lesser opponents in Puerto Rico or wherever during preseason, but an entirely different beast to play high level defense & put up numbers during a real game.  That being said, I do think Toldeo is a great fit for him and wish him the best.

Old guy and HenryB like this

15 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

IIRC a fellow MBM (maybe @Bills By 40?) had pretty high praise for Andre last preseason.  

I don't particularly remember that but I can't rule it out. Hopefully he has a position where his defensive expectations are too high - that's where he'd really thrive. Similar to Gibby in years past in our program. 

2 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I don't particularly remember that but I can't rule it out. Hopefully he has a position where his defensive expectations are too high - that's where he'd really thrive. Similar to Gibby in years past in our program. 

I think Lorentsson is in a perfect situation.  The MAC has very few quality forwards so he won't get exposed.  And as he showed in practices and scrimmages here, he can flat out shoot it. 

There is a small percentage of players who could succeed anywhere.  But for everybody else, college basketball success is highly dependent on fit.  I think Nesbitt is also in a good position.  He'll get to be the man at Hampton rather than a role player, which probably suits his temperament better.

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think Lorentsson is in a perfect situation.  The MAC has very few quality forwards so he won't get exposed.  And as he showed in practices and scrimmages here, he can flat out shoot it. 

There is a small percentage of players who could succeed anywhere.  But for everybody else, college basketball success is highly dependent on fit.  I think Nesbitt is also in a good position.  He'll get to be the man at Hampton rather than a role player, which probably suits his temperament better.

I agree with all of that.