Primer on the Wizards and Goodwin's NBA chances

thetorch

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I could totally see Goodwin making the league after 2-3 years in the G League and converting himself to a point guard.  That would also give him enough time to develop into a consistent shooter.

Does that happen?

1 minute ago, almaman said:

Does that happen?

What do you mean exactly? There’s a decent amount of players that play else where for a bit before returning to the league, if that’s what your asking 

no I was asking is it a thing now that teams develop roster players in the G league. obviously that's what it's for but in watching NBA I haven't heard much talk as one always here's in baseball about players progressing from minor league to the big show. Most players seem to be draft picks or foreign players. I guess Reed is an example but he never stuck. 

29 minutes ago, almaman said:

no I was asking is it a thing now that teams develop roster players in the G league. obviously that's what it's for but in watching NBA I haven't heard much talk as one always here's in baseball about players progressing from minor league to the big show. Most players seem to be draft picks or foreign players. I guess Reed is an example but he never stuck. 

Fred VanVlett was undrated in 2016 and signed up with the Toronto Raptors D League team for 16-17. He made the Raptors a year later and has a ring from the 2019 championship 

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Fred VanVlett was undrated in 2016 and signed up with the Toronto Raptors D League team for 16-17. He made the Raptors a year later and has a ring from the 2019 championship 

he must of been on the bubble for one of the 60 picks that year.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

Does that happen?

No.  Out of the roughly 500 guys who play in the NBA every year there are 5 or 6 who have not developed in the NBA.  99% of G league guys that make the league are out in a season or less.  You can't make a living being a back of the roster player.  

Mostly it is becoming a salary question.  The guy the Wizards had this year on his 2 way, Garrison Matthews, is one example.  He's an NBA player.  He now has to get the veterans minimum after being a 2 way player for two years.  He'll never play another game.  Too expensive.  There is a 2 year window to make it, if you aren't a rotation player by then you are replaced by a cheaper younger option even if you are a better player.

Goodwin had a helluva game tonight.  Doing exactly what he needs to.  Making solid plays on offense and working his tail off on defense and the boards  7 steals is an eye opener.

I'm not worried about a guy like Homesly.  Really good scorer, but just not good enough at an NBA level.  He'll be a great euro pro but not an NBA guy.  Big difference between him and Goodwin are their roles.  Goodwin can fill a role that few can, scorers in the NBA are a dime a dozen.  Homesly is probably a better player than Goodwin but not a better NBA player.

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here are five others who honed their skills in the G League

Khris Middleton

Pascal Siakam

Danny Green

Rudy Gobert

Jordan Clarkson

I should preface my comments by separating drafted and undrafted players. A drafted player will get 12 different chances to make a roster because if they don't the guy who drafted them can be fired. An undrafted guy doesn't get the same looks.  All these guys were drafted. Gobert and Middleton have gotten execs and scouts fired from their original teams.

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

By Goodwin making the league I mean in a Blake Ahearn "cup of coffee" sort of way, not in a 10 year journeyman sort of way.  

We are rooting for the 10 year career but all I really want for him is a pension.

7 minutes ago, thetorch said:

We are rooting for the 10 year career but all I really want for him is a pension.

Now, that is interesting. Just to make a frame of reference, what would the pension of an average (not a star) NBA player pay per month or year? Do you have any idea about how this works?

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

I don't understand all the NBA CBA rules.  If my Googling is correct, you have to play for 3 years to earn a pension.  Given your earlier comments about 2 way contracts only being allowed for 2 seasons, Goodwin playing at least 3 seasons seems like a massive step up from a cup of coffee.  I hope he can do it. 

Willie Reed is minus the off the court screw ups is actually probably a good example of a guy doing work in the G league and earning his way, right?  He played 3 season so he should be getting a pension.  He probably would have played longer if it wasn't for his poor choice of an agent / screwing up a longer term deal with the Heat and then domestic violence issues.

almaman likes this

1 hour ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Does Willie Reed count?

Sure.  He played his way into the NBA from the D-League, which later became the G-League.  He stuck for three seasons before landing back in the G-League.

It's a huge accomplishment for an A-10 player to stick three seasons in the NBA.  Guys who were all-world in our league, like Tu Holloway, Kevin Anderson and Peyton Aldridge, never played a game in the NBA.

57 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Sure.  He played his way into the NBA from the D-League, which later became the G-League.  He stuck for three seasons before landing back in the G-League.

It's a huge accomplishment for an A-10 player to stick three seasons in the NBA.  Guys who were all-world in our league, like Tu Holloway, Kevin Anderson and Peyton Aldridge, never played a game in the NBA.

I hate Tu Holloway.  That is all.  Have a great day everyone! 

SLU_Lax likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Both of those guys were 6-footers. Fraschilla said yesterday, if I heard correctly, there are only a handful of 6-footers in the League. In other words, you may be a great player in college at that size, but the odds are really stacked against you in trying to get to the next level. The topic came up when he was talking about McKinley Wright, a former Dayton commit btw.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Goodwin finishes with 3 points on 1-4, 0-3 3pt, 1-1 FT, 5 reb, 3 assists, 2 steals, 3 blocks (!), and 1 TO in 22 minutes.

He didn’t flash at all in this game.  Even the most rose-colored glasses could not say he played well.