Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
ACE

Grad Transfers - 2019

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ACE said:

After this weekend, I'd happily take another TI 😉

Really good interview Frank did with TI this morning. Sometimes this year I felt like I was one of the few TI apologists on this board, and he did make his share of boneheaded plays and his body language was sometimes maddening, BUT I came away even more impressed with him after hearing the interview. I had never really heard him previously, but he was very thoughtful and had some good insights. He said the offense flowed better after Gordon't departure - they changed the offense and it freed him and Goodwin to get in the lane more. It also freed up French. Also, a very interesting story about his recruiting. He said he was about ready to commit to Xavier and he had one final conversation with Ford and it changed his mind. He praised Ford and said he had a great relationship with him - described him as a man of his word. Excellent testimonial for future grad transfers.

Link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I don't think you understand. Taking on a role player GT is preferred to a role player-type frosh, because the risk is so minimal. Anthony wasn't the most talented, but since he was a GT, we were able to bring in someone with his scholarship immediately. So in this case, a class of 2020 guy.

I can agree but with that logic why not take a guy who sits 1 year then plays 2 or 3? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I'd love to see Tyler Cook graduate and come home.  But he is in the big dance too so he may opt out like last year but stay in the draft.  Who knows.  In my mind, I'm better with guy sliek Cook, Jamal Johnson, Evan Pederson -- guys who come home to St. Louis to play --- better than the real mercenary type.  We can only wait and see.

Is Tatum available? Seems about as likely.

 

Also: imagine not wanting a guy who just put a team on his back and got us to the tournament. 

14/4/4 on the season

17/6/2 in Brooklyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I can agree but with that logic why not take a guy who sits 1 year then plays 2 or 3? 

Because at this point in the season, most of the good ones (like Perkins) are already committed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A GT big is needed. Ideally a guy like Foreman, who was a transfer, would fit well w/ French. Don't want to see us pick up a guard GT unless he's a healthy sniper type. We should not impede the development of Jacobs and Yuri. St Bs FR guard really developed and we need some of that next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

First off anthony is reputed to have been a fabulous teamate and perfect practice player.   But you missed the point.  I am saying pretty much no matter who, we need at least 2 of the 3 remaining scholarships to go to graduate transfers. 

No need to trash an alumni that performed his roll as asked.    

People need to remember the context and timing of the Anthony signing. If I remember correctly, he filled the final scholarship heading into the 2017-18 season. Ford thought he had a loaded roster, so there was not an urgent need for a big contributor. This was before Wellmer was ruled out for the year and before S2. Rather than save a scholarship, Ford decided to bring an experienced kid, who would be a good practice player and a good influence on younger players - and that's exactly what he did.  Anthony did what Ford brought him in to do, so I don't consider him a bust. He was not brought in to be a major contributor, because Ford figured he had a enough depth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Izzy on Franks show just he had left a message for Ford saying he was committing to Xavier and Ford called right back and changed his mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My #1 need next year is a big who can space the floor on offense.  If we can find a GT who does that it would be great.  Goodwin, French, and Thatch will get big minutes next season as our best returning players.  None are good outside shooters.  For the 2nd year in a row, we will lose our 2 best outside shooters (Roby/Johnson last year, Bess/Isabell this year).  Our offense will be bad again if we can't stretch the floor and open up space inside for French to work and Goodwin to slash/score and grab O rebounds.  Adding a big who can shoot from the outside would be a huge boon to the offense.

The ship has sailed, but a healthy Elliott Welmer would be a pretty ideal GT candidate for SLU.  We need to find that type of guy on another team minus the injury woes.

Maybe Hankton fills that role, but I'd certainly like to have another more proven option in a GT as well.

I'm okay rolling with Goodwin, Jacobs, and Yuri as our PG options, so for the 2nd GT I'd grab an off guard who can shoot.  We might be expecting Jimerson to fill that role, but again I'd be thrilled with a more proven option.

Finally, I'd love to get a backup for French with a more traditional big and I'd really be fine w 3 grad transfers if we can add the right pieces it would even out the classes really well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pipkins leaving UMass as a grad transfer. He will be in demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I’ll be keeping an eye on is waivers being granted to undergraduate transfers (e.g. Mark Smith at Missouri and Matthew Moyer at Vanderbilt). Seems like it’s becoming more and more possible to have a player transfer in without sitting out a year. Either way, Ford has shown the ability to land talented transfers and it wouldn’t surprise me if we see 1-2 coming in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I'd love to see Tyler Cook graduate and come home.  But he is in the big dance too so he may opt out like last year but stay in the draft.  Who knows.  In my mind, I'm better with guy sliek Cook, Jamal Johnson, Evan Pederson -- guys who come home to St. Louis to play --- better than the real mercenary type.  We can only wait and see.

Cook is very underskilled for his athleticism.  He can't score from outside 4 feet.  He has a decent floater that will get good rolls.  But all of his other shots lack touch and accuracy.  The Hawkeyes often play better when he is not on the floor.  But he plays against greater competition in the Big Ten and at practice.  The only reason I could see him coming to SLU is maybe if he thought he could work on his non-dunking skills against lesser defensive competition, appearing better to scouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, slusam said:

Izzy on Franks show just he had left a message for Ford saying he was committing to Xavier and Ford called right back and changed his mind

Now we know why Xavier didn't make it to the Big Dance this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Cook is very underskilled for his athleticism.  He can't score from outside 4 feet.  He has a decent floater that will get good rolls.  But all of his other shots lack touch and accuracy.  The Hawkeyes often play better when he is not on the floor.  But he plays against greater competition in the Big Ten and at practice.  The only reason I could see him coming to SLU is maybe if he thought he could work on his non-dunking skills against lesser defensive competition, appearing better to scouts.

Neither can Toppin at Dayton but I think we'd take him in a hot second. With that said, Cook's not coming here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ACE said:

Pipkins leaving UMass as a grad transfer. He will be in demand.

Two other good ones just hit the market - Smits from Valpo and Utomi from Akron. I imagine Smits will draw some Big 10 interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ACE said:

Two other good ones just hit the market - Smits from Valpo and Utomi from Akron. I imagine Smits will draw some Big 10 interest.

I'd take Smits in a heartbeat. Mobile big man. Excellent passer. Mid-range game. I think he'd fit in pretty well here. 

Plus, having the Dunking Dutchman at games would be awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Cook is very underskilled for his athleticism.  He can't score from outside 4 feet.  He has a decent floater that will get good rolls.  But all of his other shots lack touch and accuracy.  The Hawkeyes often play better when he is not on the floor.  But he plays against greater competition in the Big Ten and at practice.  The only reason I could see him coming to SLU is maybe if he thought he could work on his non-dunking skills against lesser defensive competition, appearing better to scouts.

Cook has NBA dreams.  He has been told he could be a 2nd round pick.  I see him putting his name back in the draft this summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NH said:

One thing I’ll be keeping an eye on is waivers being granted to undergraduate transfers (e.g. Mark Smith at Missouri and Matthew Moyer at Vanderbilt). Seems like it’s becoming more and more possible to have a player transfer in without sitting out a year. Either way, Ford has shown the ability to land talented transfers and it wouldn’t surprise me if we see 1-2 coming in.

I agree.  I think more are coming as well.  After the success of the local recruits in the playoffs....it will make things very interesting next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ACE said:

With TI winning the Tournament MVP and making a trip to the Dance, Ford now has a great success story to sell grad transfer recruits. Even Wiley chipped in with a couple of HUGE 3s in the second half and ending his career on a high note. 

Some on the board were advocating no more grad transfers. I don't think they're going to get their wish. With no seniors on next years roster, I think the timing is ideal for a couple more.

The whole point of the traditional transfers and the grad transfers was to turn around the program as quickly as possible. I'd say that has been accomplished. 

I don't know of anyone who was advocating for no grad transfers. I've been supportive of a grad transfer big for two months now. But to sign a grad transfer guard when we'll have arguably the best collection of young guards since Majerus was here?  It sounds like folks are exaggerating a need.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

My #1 need next year is a big who can space the floor on offense.  If we can find a GT who does that it would be great.  Goodwin, French, and Thatch will get big minutes next season as our best returning players.  None are good outside shooters.  For the 2nd year in a row, we will lose our 2 best outside shooters (Roby/Johnson last year, Bess/Isabell this year).  Our offense will be bad again if we can't stretch the floor and open up space inside for French to work and Goodwin to slash/score and grab O rebounds.  Adding a big who can shoot from the outside would be a huge boon to the offense.

The ship has sailed, but a healthy Elliott Welmer would be a pretty ideal GT candidate for SLU.  We need to find that type of guy on another team minus the injury woes.

Maybe Hankton fills that role, but I'd certainly like to have another more proven option in a GT as well.

I'm okay rolling with Goodwin, Jacobs, and Yuri as our PG options, so for the 2nd GT I'd grab an off guard who can shoot.  We might be expecting Jimerson to fill that role, but again I'd be thrilled with a more proven option.

Finally, I'd love to get a backup for French with a more traditional big and I'd really be fine w 3 grad transfers if we can add the right pieces it would even out the classes really well.  

I think the Frosh from Montverde is expected to do some damage next year from beyond the arc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I'd take Smits in a heartbeat. Mobile big man. Excellent passer. Mid-range game. I think he'd fit in pretty well here. 

Plus, having the Dunking Dutchman at games would be awesome. 

Go get Smits.

I know nothing about him but Rik Smits was awesome.

Those Pacer teams were fun to watch.

Sit him up front with Marcus Allen and Chris Pronger. That would be the strangest athlete grouping of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Because at this point in the season, most of the good ones (like Perkins) are already committed.

Actually this is exactly the time when traditional 2 year transfers become available, when the season over. That's how we got Bess and Foreman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Schasz said:

I think the Frosh from Montverde is expected to do some damage next year from beyond the arc.

That's Jimerson who I mentioned in my post.  We're losing out 2 best 3pt shooters from a bad 3pt shooting team.  We need more than just one freshman to change things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3star, I’ll agree that we need a mobile big who can keep the opposing big from sagging back into the lane.

The point guards are always a push as Frosh. Biles and Perry have been the only two I can remember that we’re not exposed their first year with too many minutes.

i don’t thinks Collins needs minutes to develop- he already is mature, needing just ten pounds of muscle to hold his own from being bumped off his drive line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RUBillsFan said:

That's Jimerson who I mentioned in my post.  We're losing out 2 best 3pt shooters from a bad 3pt shooting team.  We need more than just one freshman to change things.

Does Perkins career 38% 3 pt shooting at SWIC and strong mid-range game not count?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The whole point of the traditional transfers and the grad transfers was to turn around the program as quickly as possible. I'd say that has been accomplished. 

I don't know of anyone who was advocating for no grad transfers. I've been supportive of a grad transfer big for two months now. But to sign a grad transfer guard when we'll have arguably the best collection of young guards since Majerus was here?  It sounds like folks are exaggerating a need.

 

We definitely have had some folks say no more grad transfers (not saying you).

With three scholarships, I expect one of them to be a guard. Why not have one of them be senior? Especially when you enter a season with no senior class. What's wrong with a little competition on the roster?  If these freshmen guards are as good as you think, then they have nothing to worry about regarding playing time. If the young kids are better, the yet to be determined grad transfer just becomes practice fodder and we have a scholarship freed up for 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...