Jump to content

Recruiting - 2022


Pistol
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is strange looking out the box scores from the EYBL yesterday and seeing the St Louis kids on MoKan getting more minutes in their game than the St. Louis kids on BBE did in their game.  Tarris Reed had another strong game for MoKan and it looks like LHJ had a nice all around game for MoKan, too.  None of the St. Louis kids on BBE jump out on the stat sheet, but that is kind of hard to do when none of them got more than 15 minutes.

So the STL kids get the most minutes on the KC-based team and the non-STL kids (Miller, Smith, Fears, Banks) get the most minutes on the STL-based team. AAU is a strange beast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is strange looking out the box scores from the EYBL yesterday and seeing the St Louis kids on MoKan getting more minutes in their game than the St. Louis kids on BBE did in their game.  Tarris Reed had another strong game for MoKan and it looks like LHJ had a nice all around game for MoKan, too.  None of the St. Louis kids on BBE jump out on the stat sheet, but that is kind of hard to do when none of them got more than 15 minutes.

From what I've heard the St. Louis kids on MoKan where not willing to be role players on BBE, which is why they left for MoKan. Guys like Kramer and Thames were the ones who were willing to stay and come off the bench for BBE behind the big-time guys like Nick Smith, Jeremy Fears and Brandon Miller. It is a bummer because I liked it when BBE represented St. Louis' best on the summer circuit. Hopefully it gets back to that way in time, but BBE is basically a midwestern program as much as a St. Louis program at this point.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, NH said:

From what I've heard the St. Louis kids on MoKan where not willing to be role players on BBE, which is why they left for MoKan. Guys like Kramer and Thames were the ones who were willing to stay and come off the bench for BBE behind the big-time guys like Nick Smith, Jeremy Fears and Brandon Miller. It is a bummer because I liked it when BBE represented St. Louis' best on the summer circuit. Hopefully it gets back to that way in time, but BBE is basically a midwestern program as much as a St. Louis program at this point.  

i find it hard to believe reed and mayo in particular were going to be nothing but role players and backups on the beagles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, NH said:

From what I've heard the St. Louis kids on MoKan where not willing to be role players on BBE, which is why they left for MoKan. Guys like Kramer and Thames were the ones who were willing to stay and come off the bench for BBE behind the big-time guys like Nick Smith, Jeremy Fears and Brandon Miller. It is a bummer because I liked it when BBE represented St. Louis' best on the summer circuit. Hopefully it gets back to that way in time, but BBE is basically a midwestern program as much as a St. Louis program at this point.  

Fears is going to be a big-time(ish) recuit at U of I and they'll be back going 16-14 every year again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i find it hard to believe reed and mayo in particular were going to be nothing but role players and backups on the beagles.

You're right. Role player is too strong of a term. Reed is certainly good enough to start and play big minutes for BBE. I think Mayo, Hughes, and Rob Martin all get more minutes/shots playing for MoKan than they would for BBE. 

Another way to look at is that Hughes, Mayo, Kramer and Thames are all roughly in the same sphere in terms of their high school pedigree, position, recruiting, rankings, etc. But Mayo and Hughes play bigger roles on MoKan than Kramer and Thames do on BBE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, NH said:

You're right. Role player is too strong of a term. Reed is certainly good enough to start and play big minutes for BBE. I think Mayo, Hughes, and Rob Martin all get more minutes/shots playing for MoKan than they would for BBE. 

Another way to look at is that Hughes, Mayo, Kramer and Thames are all roughly in the same sphere in terms of their high school pedigree, position, recruiting, rankings, etc. But Mayo and Hughes play bigger roles on MoKan than Kramer and Thames do on BBE.

But it isn't just kids going to play for MoKan to get more playing time on a lesser team.  MoKan won the last Peach Jam with three St. Louis kids getting major minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

But it isn't just kids going to play for MoKan to get more playing time on a lesser team.  MoKan won the last Peach Jam with three St. Louis kids getting major minutes.

I'm not necessarily saying one is a better team than the other. In many ways, 2019 is a very similar year to this year. Kasubke got more minutes on that Mokan team than he would've on BBE playing behind Cam Fletcher and Moses Moody. Branson would've gotten zero playing time. MoKan won the Peach Jam and BBE was pretty bad that year, if I remember correctly, so clearly BBE's strategy was not an effective one.  But I think the point still holds that those top 100-300 type STL kids will get more playing time leaving the area than they would staying to play for BBE, which is trying to get the top ranked regional talent. I wish BBE were focused more on keeping those kids in St. Louis and personally think it's silly that the Kansas City team has more kids from St. Louis than the St. Louis EYBL team does. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reed would be the starting 5 on BBE. He has a relationship with the MOKAN coach - who is bringing him to Link Year Prep - and wants to play in that program. So Turnbull starts for BBE and Robert Lewis (Ritter) backs him up.

Martin was basically bumped by Fears. He'd be the backup PG on BBE and had previously gotten bigger minutes with this age group. So he's at MOKAN now and gets a little more run than he would at BBE.

No one would start over Nick Smith or Brandon Miller at BBE, and they've been with the program for a few years. Hughes, Mayo, Thames, Kramer would all be playing roles behind those two Thames and Kramer opted to stay in those roles at BBE, and the other two jumped to MOKAN, where the minutes have been a bit more balanced at guard/wing. Fears and Stacker have been the other BBE starters, with Banks, Jones, Thames, and Kramer backing them up.

MOKAN is set with Reed and Okpara and Shaw in the 3-5 spots and it's basically even between the other guys playing in the mid-high teens range for MPG. BBE hasn't been as balanced, with Smith, Miller, and Fears eating up the most minutes so far and the other guys playing low-mid-teens MPG.

BBE has been the better team, too. Small sample size and a lot can change, that's just how things have played out so far. I'm hoping to see more of Thames and Kramer, but even as the game got lopsided yesterday, only Thames got in during the last minute or so and Kramer didn't play the fourth quarter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

But it isn't just kids going to play for MoKan to get more playing time on a lesser team.  MoKan won the last Peach Jam with three St. Louis kids getting major minutes.

The most talented team in AAU is rarely the winningest team.  The teams with multiple top 30 players are just talent showcases.  Sometimes they win, sometimes they don't.

If I was mid-major+ kid looking to play major minutes on a regular basis, I wouldn't play for BBE either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

 

I've only seen a small sample of Nick Kramer's play, but I really love about him is: you can just tell how competitive he is. He wants to win. He's the type of kid where you're never going to have to worry about him hustling. He puts in the work on defense, has a good looking shot, but he just looks like he's an elite competitor. And I know this is one of the most cliche college basketball lines ever, but you can't really teach that. You either have it, or you don't. Really excited to watch him at The Fetz!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I didn't know AAU uses a shot clock

Pretty common in AAU ball.  More and more states are mandating or at least allowing its use.  I think it is up to 10 or 11 states that have instituted a shot clock in HS basketball now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2021 at 6:43 PM, SLURadioBoy said:

Thames contributed as well. He seems like a stat stuffer who will do whatever it takes to help his team win.

This is exactly my impression of him, or at least how he plays on this BBE squad. I actually think he's a little too unselfish for them, giving up quite a few open looks to feed his teammates. He does a lot of little, unglamorous things that go a long way and his numbers don't show his value.

I'm interested to see him play for Pattonville this season because even though he's got a good supporting cast, he's the top player there. It's a totally different dynamic and he puts up big numbers for his HS team.

Regardless, he's got smarts and skill and length that should all translate. He's lean and is going to need to add to his frame, but no doubt he'll be able to do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is exactly my impression of him, or at least how he plays on this BBE squad. I actually think he's a little too unselfish for them, giving up quite a few open looks to feed his teammates. He does a lot of little, unglamorous things that go a long way and his numbers don't show his value.

I'm interested to see him play for Pattonville this season because even though he's got a good supporting cast, he's the top player there. It's a totally different dynamic and he puts up big numbers for his HS team.

Regardless, he's got smarts and skill and length that should all translate. He's lean and is going to need to add to his frame, but no doubt he'll be able to do that.

this goes a long way towards winning me over on Thames.    i was pretty much indifferent.  but i like your thoughts here pistol.  thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

this goes a long way towards winning me over on Thames.    i was pretty much indifferent.  but i like your thoughts here pistol.  thanks

Agreed.  Impressive for a kid who is the star / leader of his HS team to be able to take a backseat on his AAU team & still contribute with the "little, unglamorous things" as Pistol calls them toward winning.  He'll need to make a similar adjustment playing in college and this tells me that he won't have a problem doing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Agreed.  Impressive for a kid who is the star / leader of his HS team to be able to take a backseat on his AAU team & still contribute with the "little, unglamorous things" as Pistol calls them toward winning.  He'll need to make a similar adjustment playing in college and this tells me that he won't have a problem doing it.

exactly and honestly players like that are difference makers doing all the little things that go unnoticed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Agreed.  Impressive for a kid who is the star / leader of his HS team to be able to take a backseat on his AAU team & still contribute with the "little, unglamorous things" as Pistol calls them toward winning.  He'll need to make a similar adjustment playing in college and this tells me that he won't have a problem doing it.

I would advise him to be selfish now. He has already committed. There will be a lot of people taking shots from him in college, and he will have to take a back seat at times, or risk not getting PT. At BBE, it really doesn’t matter anymore, now that he has committed. Let it rip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I would advise him to be selfish now. He has already committed. There will be a lot of people taking shots from him in college, and he will have to take a back seat at times, or risk not getting PT. At BBE, it really doesn’t matter anymore, now that he has committed. Let it rip.

Kramer has the green light to shoot from 3 for BBE, and he uses it. But he doesn’t have the ability to be a selfish player but on his AAU team. The reason he’s on that team is because he’s a great fit next to star players, and he’s doing a great job of taking advantage of that role. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...